XP disk not booting

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello again,

    My Windows XP HE disk doesn't boot. And I need it to.

    When I slip the disk into the CD or the DVD drive, and boot the box, all I
    get is a hyphen blinking. The HP startup screen appears first, all the
    drives are found, the memory, all that other . Then just blinking. The
    drives spin, I can hear them .

    The blue screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD is curiosusly, and
    painfully, missing.

    In the BIOS, the CD is specified to boot first.

    What I have tried:

    -changing the first boot device to be DVD ROM drive

    -changing the relationship between the CD and DVD drives from cable
    select/cable select to Master/Slave

    -downloaded copies of NTDETECT, BOOT.INI, and NTLDR; then burned them onto
    the root of the XP disk. Got the files from bootdisk.com.

    Additional info:

    -I once had a disk, comprised of the same files as are on this one, it used
    to work. Lost it.

    -I tried another recovery disk from another machine, it was read as a
    bootable disk. Didn't push that install any further, it's a '98 disk.

    Am stumped. Please help.

    Thanks, in advance,

    smackedass
    smackedass, Dec 17, 2006

  2. On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:42:33 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello again,
    >
    >My Windows XP HE disk doesn't boot. And I need it to.
    >
    >When I slip the disk into the CD or the DVD drive, and boot the box, all I
    >get is a hyphen blinking. The HP startup screen appears first, all the
    >drives are found, the memory, all that other . Then just blinking. The
    >drives spin, I can hear them .
    >
    >The blue screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD is curiosusly, and
    >painfully, missing.
    >
    >In the BIOS, the CD is specified to boot first.
    >

    >What I have tried:
    >
    >-changing the first boot device to be DVD ROM drive
    >
    >-changing the relationship between the CD and DVD drives from cable
    >select/cable select to Master/Slave
    >
    >-downloaded copies of NTDETECT, BOOT.INI, and NTLDR; then burned them onto
    >the root of the XP disk. Got the files from bootdisk.com.
    >

    >Additional info:
    >
    >-I once had a disk, comprised of the same files as are on this one, it used
    >to work. Lost it.
    >
    >-I tried another recovery disk from another machine, it was read as a
    >bootable disk. Didn't push that install any further, it's a '98 disk.
    >
    >Am stumped. Please help.

    I've had CD drives that have trouble reading certain (usually home
    burned) disks. You might try a different drive.

    Try to eliminate things by seeing if this disk will boot another
    machine, and see if another bootable disk will boot THIS machine.

    I know you said you put a W98 disk in and it "was read as a bootable
    disk", but I'm not clear on whether or not that means the computer
    actually booted from it.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Dec 17, 2006

  3. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    I got back my known-good disk from my buddy, at whose house I left it. It
    works.

    Previous to my re-acquistion of that disk, I had tried all the most obvious
    things, including/not limited to what mhaase had suggested. Only the KGD
    worked.

    Now, I don't know what could have gone wrong. The two biggest suspects are
    1) a shitty batch of disks, I tried burning like 3 or for, onto CD and DVD
    disks. or 2) the XP files that I had saved onto my backup drive were
    corrupted.

    If anyone out there has any insight as to what (else?) may have gone wrong,
    let me know, because I'm still kind o baffled.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Dec 18, 2006
  4. smackedass

    Tony Guest

    >If anyone out there has any insight as to what (else?) may have gone wrong,
    >let me know, because I'm still kind o baffled.

    Us a different CD Drive. I have had it happen to me and if it isnt the disc, it is probably the
    drive, even if that drive will read other discs and act perfectly fine when the OS is installed.

    Tony
    Tony, Dec 21, 2006
  5. smackedass

    g-man Guest

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:42:33 +0000, smackedass wrote:

    > Hello again,
    >
    > My Windows XP HE disk doesn't boot. And I need it to.
    >
    > When I slip the disk into the CD or the DVD drive, and boot the box, all I
    > get is a hyphen blinking. The HP startup screen appears first, all the
    > drives are found, the memory, all that other . Then just blinking. The
    > drives spin, I can hear them .
    >
    > The blue screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD is curiosusly, and
    > painfully, missing.
    >
    > In the BIOS, the CD is specified to boot first.
    >

    > What I have tried:
    >
    > -changing the first boot device to be DVD ROM drive
    >
    > -changing the relationship between the CD and DVD drives from cable
    > select/cable select to Master/Slave
    >
    > -downloaded copies of NTDETECT, BOOT.INI, and NTLDR; then burned them onto
    > the root of the XP disk. Got the files from bootdisk.com.
    >

    > Additional info:
    >
    > -I once had a disk, comprised of the same files as are on this one, it used
    > to work. Lost it.
    >
    > -I tried another recovery disk from another machine, it was read as a
    > bootable disk. Didn't push that install any further, it's a '98 disk.
    >
    > Am stumped. Please help.
    >
    > Thanks, in advance,
    >
    > smackedass

    its probably a lousy cd copy, has it worked before? To eliminate some
    hardware questions run a copy of a live cd linux version such as ubuntu,
    don't install (unless u are ready to dump microcrap), just use it see if
    u can access the drives and run a memory test.
    g-man, Dec 25, 2006