    she says Vista is no good.

    Does anyone have any helpful suggestions I can pass on please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2008

  2. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > A friend no longer has her XP disc (lent to someone?) and the kids have
    > managed to delete a lot of stuff. I think she has lost certain programs,
    > e.g. she can't get any email attachments though emails themselves are OK.
    >
    > It seems she can't buy XP anywhere now to put it back in the computer, and
    > she says Vista is no good.
    >
    > Does anyone have any helpful suggestions I can pass on please?

    Pay for a XP media kit from Microsoft (about $50 IIRC).

    Ask nicely here and someone may copy a CD for your friend and send it to
    you.

    Lend her your XP CD.
    EMB, Dec 21, 2008

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:494e2185$...
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> A friend no longer has her XP disc (lent to someone?) and the kids have
    >> managed to delete a lot of stuff. I think she has lost certain programs,
    >> e.g. she can't get any email attachments though emails themselves are OK.
    >>
    >> It seems she can't buy XP anywhere now to put it back in the computer,
    >> and she says Vista is no good.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any helpful suggestions I can pass on please?

    > Pay for a XP media kit from Microsoft (about $50 IIRC).
    >
    > Ask nicely here and someone may copy a CD for your friend and send it to
    > you.
    >
    > Lend her your XP CD.

    Thank you.

    Can one person use another person's CD? Doesn't it have to be registered or
    something?
    If anyone can use any CD, my computer man probably has one he could use to
    fix her problems. I don't know if she could manage the technical stuff.
    If XP is no longer sold, would XP media kit still be available?
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2008
  4. In article <gil6qs$80n$>,
    says...
    > A friend no longer has her XP disc (lent to someone?) and the kids have
    > managed to delete a lot of stuff. I think she has lost certain programs,
    > e.g. she can't get any email attachments though emails themselves are OK.
    >
    > It seems she can't buy XP anywhere now to put it back in the computer, and
    > she says Vista is no good.
    >
    > Does anyone have any helpful suggestions I can pass on please?
    >
    > Geopelia

    She is mistaken.
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=365702
    You can still buy windows xp.

    But the thing is, (as EMB said) if she has a licence stuck to her
    computer, then really it doesn't matter what disk she uses to repair the
    operating system on that machine. Just make sure it's the same version,
    'home' or 'professional'; the product key will be printed on the
    license.

    h.t.h. -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Dec 21, 2008
  5. Geopelia

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 02:40:45 +1300
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > In article <gil6qs$80n$>,
    > says...
    > > A friend no longer has her XP disc (lent to someone?) and the kids
    > > have managed to delete a lot of stuff. I think she has lost
    > > certain programs, e.g. she can't get any email attachments though
    > > emails themselves are OK.
    > >
    > > It seems she can't buy XP anywhere now to put it back in the
    > > computer, and she says Vista is no good.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any helpful suggestions I can pass on please?
    > >
    > > Geopelia
    > >

    > She is mistaken.
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=365702
    > You can still buy windows xp.
    >
    > But the thing is, (as EMB said) if she has a licence stuck to her
    > computer, then really it doesn't matter what disk she uses to repair
    > the operating system on that machine. Just make sure it's the same
    > version, 'home' or 'professional'; the product key will be printed on
    > the license.
    >
    > h.t.h. -Peter

    Hi
    And you can always use this to recover the product key;
    <http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/>

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-4-default
    Malcolm, Dec 21, 2008
  6. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Can one person use another person's CD? Doesn't it have to be registered or
    > something?

    It's the magic serial number that is unique and needs to be registered.
    So long as the sticker with it on is still attached to the computer
    pretty much any Windows XP CD will do the job.
    EMB, Dec 21, 2008
  7. Geopelia

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 22, 2:40 am, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > But the thing is, (as EMB said) if she has a licence stuck to her
    > computer, then really it doesn't matter what disk she uses to repair the
    > operating system on that machine. Just make sure it's the same version,
    > 'home' or 'professional'; the product key will be printed on the
    > license.

    Unfortunately this does not apply to 'big name' computers that came
    with XP installed. There seems to be not too much difficulty using
    any similar XP CD for loading software, drivers, etc or for
    maintenance.

    On 'big name' computers, while XP can be installed from a generic OEM
    CD using the product key on the licence sticker on the computer, it
    gets a 'thumbs down' at activation time. One can identify such
    licence stickers as they carry the OEM manufacturer name eg Dell, HP
    etc.
    peterwn, Dec 21, 2008
  8. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On 'big name' computers, while XP can be installed from a generic OEM
    > CD using the product key on the licence sticker on the computer, it
    > gets a 'thumbs down' at activation time. One can identify such
    > licence stickers as they carry the OEM manufacturer name eg Dell, HP
    > etc.

    Patently untrue Peter - I do this on a daily basis without problems.
    EMB, Dec 21, 2008
  9. Geopelia

    Cima Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:02:31 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >peterwn wrote:
    >> On 'big name' computers, while XP can be installed from a generic OEM
    >> CD using the product key on the licence sticker on the computer, it
    >> gets a 'thumbs down' at activation time. One can identify such
    >> licence stickers as they carry the OEM manufacturer name eg Dell, HP
    >> etc.
    >>

    >Patently untrue Peter - I do this on a daily basis without problems.

    I've also done loads of Toshiba, Dell, HP & Compaqs with no probs. If you do hit
    a snag, there's no problem calling the 0800 to get it sorted.
    Cima, Dec 21, 2008
  10. Geopelia

    Peter M Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:46:40 +1300, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >A friend no longer has her XP disc (lent to someone?) and the kids have
    >managed to delete a lot of stuff. I think she has lost certain programs,
    >e.g. she can't get any email attachments though emails themselves are OK.
    >
    >It seems she can't buy XP anywhere now to put it back in the computer, and
    >she says Vista is no good.
    >
    >Does anyone have any helpful suggestions I can pass on please?
    >
    >Geopelia

    Yes get a copy from some one, is it Pro or Home..?

    Does she have he serial number for it, Key I mean, commercial PC's have a
    label fixed on the PC with these details..
    Peter M, Dec 21, 2008
  11. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Cima" typed:
    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:02:31 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> peterwn wrote:
    >>> On 'big name' computers, while XP can be installed from a generic
    >>> OEM CD using the product key on the licence sticker on the
    >>> computer, it gets a 'thumbs down' at activation time. One can
    >>> identify such licence stickers as they carry the OEM manufacturer
    >>> name eg Dell, HP etc.
    >>>

    >> Patently untrue Peter - I do this on a daily basis without problems.

    > I've also done loads of Toshiba, Dell, HP & Compaqs with no probs. If
    > you do hit a snag, there's no problem calling the 0800 to get it
    > sorted.

    I just did an IBM ThinkPad using a generic OEM install disc a couple days
    ago too. Smooth as silk, activated in seconds. Not bad considering the
    ThinkPad would have been issued with it's COA at SP1 level at the earliest
    while the OEM disc included SP2.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 21, 2008
  12. Geopelia

    Bobs Guest

    On Dec 22, 7:45 am, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Dec 22, 2:40 am, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >

    > > But the thing is, (as EMB said) if she has a licence stuck to her
    > > computer, then really it doesn't matter what disk she uses to repair the
    > > operating system on that machine. Just make sure it's the same version,
    > > 'home' or 'professional'; the product key will be printed on the
    > > license.

    > Unfortunately this does not apply to 'big name' computers that came
    > with XP installed.  There seems to be not too much difficulty using
    > any similar XP CD for loading software, drivers, etc or for
    > maintenance.
    >
    > On 'big name' computers, while XP can be installed from a generic OEM
    > CD using the product key on the licence sticker on the computer, it
    > gets a 'thumbs down' at activation time.  One can identify such
    > licence stickers as they carry the OEM manufacturer name eg Dell, HP
    > etc.

    That's only the case if you change something like the motherboard.
    Otherwise you can activate the OEM licence lots of times.

    And even if you change the motherboard, you can just call Microsoft
    and they'll give you a new key. They never dispute it (at least Ive
    never had one)
    Bobs, Dec 22, 2008
  13. Geopelia

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 22, 9:02 am, EMB <> wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > > On 'big name' computers, while XP can be installed from a generic OEM
    > > CD using the product key on the licence sticker on the computer, it
    > > gets a 'thumbs down' at activation time. One can identify such
    > > licence stickers as they carry the OEM manufacturer name eg Dell, HP
    > > etc.

    > Patently untrue Peter - I do this on a daily basis without problems.

    Great news! I will try it out again. Worked for me a while back for
    a couple of Compaq P4's (stickers did not say 'Compaq' but could not
    activate on a Dell Optiplex P4 (sticker endorsed 'Dell'). Perhaps MS
    may have tweaked activation rules.
    peterwn, Dec 22, 2008
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thanks to all. I'll pass on the relevant bits from your emails, and hope it
    helps her.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 22, 2008
  15. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Cima" typed:

    >>> Patently untrue Peter - I do this on a daily basis without problems.

    >> I've also done loads of Toshiba, Dell, HP & Compaqs with no probs. If
    >> you do hit a snag, there's no problem calling the 0800 to get it
    >> sorted.

    > I just did an IBM ThinkPad using a generic OEM install disc a couple days
    > ago too. Smooth as silk, activated in seconds. Not bad considering the
    > ThinkPad would have been issued with it's COA at SP1 level at the earliest
    > while the OEM disc included SP2.

    Being XP Pro it's a slightly different kettle of fish than XP Home -
    there are a lot more variants that won't accept each-other's licence
    keys. The OEM disc you used is a fairly rare one that works with large
    system builder keys.
    EMB, Dec 22, 2008
  16. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Dec 22, 9:02 am, EMB <> wrote:
    >> peterwn wrote:
    >>> On 'big name' computers, while XP can be installed from a generic OEM
    >>> CD using the product key on the licence sticker on the computer, it
    >>> gets a 'thumbs down' at activation time. One can identify such
    >>> licence stickers as they carry the OEM manufacturer name eg Dell, HP
    >>> etc.

    >> Patently untrue Peter - I do this on a daily basis without problems.

    > Great news! I will try it out again. Worked for me a while back for
    > a couple of Compaq P4's (stickers did not say 'Compaq' but could not
    > activate on a Dell Optiplex P4 (sticker endorsed 'Dell'). Perhaps MS
    > may have tweaked activation rules.

    My Dell XP restore CD happily works on a fair few IBM desktops and
    accepts the IBM licence code happily.
    EMB, Dec 22, 2008
  17. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    trueone wrote:
    > I used this now on my HP and it shows the Vista product key as different
    > to the sticker on the bottom. This is 3 months old and factory install.

    Correct - the original factory install has a single key pre-activated
    used on all the machines they send out. If you reinstall you should use
    the unique key off the machine which will require activation.
    EMB, Dec 22, 2008
  18. Geopelia

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:02:44 +1300
    EMB <> wrote:

    > trueone wrote:
    > > I used this now on my HP and it shows the Vista product key as
    > > different to the sticker on the bottom. This is 3 months old and
    > > factory install.
    > >

    > Correct - the original factory install has a single key pre-activated
    > used on all the machines they send out. If you reinstall you should
    > use the unique key off the machine which will require activation.

    Hi
    Not sure if this may help....?
    <http://www.gabrieldiaz.net/tech-log/8-articles/19-how-to-tell-which-cd-you-need-to-reinstall-windows-xp-using-a-product-key>

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-4-default
    up 3 days 2:00, 1 user, load average: 0.29, 0.18, 0.17
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82
    Malcolm, Dec 22, 2008
  19. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Cima" typed:

    >>> I've also done loads of Toshiba, Dell, HP & Compaqs with no probs.
    >>> If you do hit a snag, there's no problem calling the 0800 to get it
    >>> sorted.

    >> I just did an IBM ThinkPad using a generic OEM install disc a couple
    >> days ago too. Smooth as silk, activated in seconds. Not bad
    >> considering the ThinkPad would have been issued with it's COA at SP1
    >> level at the earliest while the OEM disc included SP2.

    > Being XP Pro it's a slightly different kettle of fish than XP Home -
    > there are a lot more variants that won't accept each-other's licence
    > keys. The OEM disc you used is a fairly rare one that works with
    > large system builder keys.

    Ahhh, OK, I didn't realise.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 22, 2008
  20. Geopelia

    Mark C Guest

    'Big name' key on OEM PC?

    Will a 'big name' CoA key work when installed on a system builder PC
    (from an OEM disk)?

    I have a big name PC (Compaq) with a Windows XP Pro CoA labelled
    "HPQ" (at least I think its a Q), but it's not running XP so I have
    an unused license. AFAIK, XP has NEVER been activated on that PC
    (maybe XP was installed by Compaq, but it was immediately overwritten
    with something else, which is what is currently running: W2K.)

    OK, (AFAIK) the MS license only allows an OEM key to be used on the
    machine it was sold with, but perhaps I'm just upgrading that PC by
    replacing the MoBo, drives... ;-)

    Mark
    Mark C, Dec 23, 2008