XP digital sound output adjustment window

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Roky, Mar 24, 2010.

  1. Roky

    Roky Guest

    Hello:
    I cant find the digital sound adjustment window on my PC which is a 3
    year old HP with XP,4600 athlon dual core,.
    It used to have an Icon in the tool bar which opened the window which
    allowed me to change the digital output.
    the icon has vanished.

    It may have been Realtek maybe called something else?
    This window allowed you to change the digital output numbers,and the
    Spdif . and i think something called PCM
    It also showed a room configuration with speakers.

    It is not the Realtek master volume control window.
    And I did check the digital box on that window.

    this pc has an integrated with motherboard sound.
    no sound card. and a spdif output

    if i go to control panel,then:
    control panel>sounds and audio devices>audio>realtek audio rear
    output>advanced>speaker set up
    i just get speaker setup nothing about digital output

    thanks
    Roky, Mar 24, 2010

  2. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Mar 23, 8:36 pm, Roky <> wrote:
    > Hello:
    > I cant find the digital sound adjustment window on my PC which is a 3
    > year old HP with XP,4600 athlon dual core,.
    > It used to have an Icon in the tool bar which opened the window which
    > allowed me to change the digital output.
    > the icon has vanished.
    >
    > It may have been Realtek maybe called something else?
    > This window allowed you to change the digital output numbers,and the
    > Spdif . and i think something called PCM
    > It also showed a room configuration with speakers.
    >
    > It is not the Realtek master volume control window.
    > And I did check the digital box on that window.
    >
    > this pc has an integrated with motherboard sound.
    > no sound card. and a spdif output
    >
    > if i go to   control panel,then:
    > control panel>sounds and audio devices>audio>realtek audio rear
    > output>advanced>speaker set up
    > i just get speaker setup nothing about digital output
    >
    > thanks

    Could this have something to do with a new video card with HDMI
    output?
    Currently i am getting sound out through the mini jack stereo output
    from the motherboard to my receiver in analog,
    Roky, Mar 24, 2010

  3. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Roky wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 8:36 pm, Roky <> wrote:
    >> Hello:
    >> I cant find the digital sound adjustment window on my PC which is a 3
    >> year old HP with XP,4600 athlon dual core,.
    >> It used to have an Icon in the tool bar which opened the window which
    >> allowed me to change the digital output.
    >> the icon has vanished.
    >>
    >> It may have been Realtek maybe called something else?
    >> This window allowed you to change the digital output numbers,and the
    >> Spdif . and i think something called PCM
    >> It also showed a room configuration with speakers.
    >>
    >> It is not the Realtek master volume control window.
    >> And I did check the digital box on that window.
    >>
    >> this pc has an integrated with motherboard sound.
    >> no sound card. and a spdif output
    >>
    >> if i go to control panel,then:
    >> control panel>sounds and audio devices>audio>realtek audio rear
    >> output>advanced>speaker set up
    >> i just get speaker setup nothing about digital output
    >>
    >> thanks

    > Could this have something to do with a new video card with HDMI
    > output?
    > Currently i am getting sound out through the mini jack stereo output
    > from the motherboard to my receiver in analog,

    Sure. If you get a video card with HDMI output, it can have
    digital audio over HDMI, and can hijack control from your
    other sound device. The Sound control panel should have a
    selection, for what audio path is your current choice.

    The RealTek audio control, may have looked like this.
    This is where I'd expect to make a choice about SPDIF or
    the analog jacks on a motherboard sound solution.

    http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2728/ddlive0fw.jpg

    But you still have to select which audio device you want
    to use for your machine.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 24, 2010
  4. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Mar 23, 9:38 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Roky wrote:
    > > On Mar 23, 8:36 pm, Roky <> wrote:
    > >> Hello:
    > >> I cant find the digital sound adjustment window on my PC which is a 3
    > >> year old HP with XP,4600 athlon dual core,.
    > >> It used to have an Icon in the tool bar which opened the window which
    > >> allowed me to change the digital output.
    > >> the icon has vanished.

    > >> It may have been Realtek maybe called something else?
    > >> This window allowed you to change the digital output numbers,and the
    > >> Spdif . and i think something called PCM
    > >> It also showed a room configuration with speakers.

    > >> It is not the Realtek master volume control window.
    > >> And I did check the digital box on that window.

    > >> this pc has an integrated with motherboard sound.
    > >> no sound card. and a spdif output

    > >> if i go to   control panel,then:
    > >> control panel>sounds and audio devices>audio>realtek audio rear
    > >> output>advanced>speaker set up
    > >> i just get speaker setup nothing about digital output

    > >> thanks

    > > Could this have something to do with a new video card with HDMI
    > > output?
    > > Currently i am getting sound out through the  mini jack  stereo output
    > > from the motherboard to my receiver in analog,

    > Sure. If you get a video card with HDMI output, it can have
    > digital audio over HDMI, and can hijack control from your
    > other sound device. The Sound control panel should have a
    > selection, for what audio path is your current choice.
    >
    > The RealTek audio control, may have looked like this.
    > This is where I'd expect to make a choice about SPDIF or
    > the analog jacks on a motherboard sound solution.
    >
    > http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2728/ddlive0fw.jpg
    >
    > But you still have to select which audio device you want
    > to use for your machine.
    >
    >     Paul

    Thanks for your interest.

    I have installed a MSI 9400gt video card with HDMI ,dvi,vga output. I
    do not get audio out through the hdmi, i think i have to connect a
    wire on the video card to something in the computer, perhaps the
    internal spdif connection.

    that is not the immediate issue.
    the image you have posted is what I AM TRYING to find.
    Where is that window? How do i get to it?

    Ok I found it here:
    C:\hp\drivers\Realtek_HD_Audio

    I dragged the icon of the speaker to the tool bar and cliked on it and
    got the window.

    While you are here , should I set the output to 2.1 or 5.1 as I am
    only using the analog output of the mini jack in the back to go to my
    surround receiver, OR doesnt it make any difference.( i think it
    doesnt make any difference as the sound going to the front speakers
    remains the same in 2.1 or 5.1)

    I use the analog output because I can control the volume with the
    mouse. the digital output has no volume control.

    Thanks
    Roky, Mar 25, 2010
  5. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Roky wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 9:38 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Roky wrote:
    >>> Could this have something to do with a new video card with HDMI
    >>> output?
    >>> Currently i am getting sound out through the mini jack stereo output
    >>> from the motherboard to my receiver in analog,

    >> Sure. If you get a video card with HDMI output, it can have
    >> digital audio over HDMI, and can hijack control from your
    >> other sound device. The Sound control panel should have a
    >> selection, for what audio path is your current choice.
    >>
    >> The RealTek audio control, may have looked like this.
    >> This is where I'd expect to make a choice about SPDIF or
    >> the analog jacks on a motherboard sound solution.
    >>
    >> http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2728/ddlive0fw.jpg
    >>
    >> But you still have to select which audio device you want
    >> to use for your machine.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Thanks for your interest.
    >
    > I have installed a MSI 9400gt video card with HDMI ,dvi,vga output. I
    > do not get audio out through the hdmi, i think i have to connect a
    > wire on the video card to something in the computer, perhaps the
    > internal spdif connection.
    >
    > that is not the immediate issue.
    > the image you have posted is what I AM TRYING to find.
    > Where is that window? How do i get to it?
    >
    > Ok I found it here:
    > C:\hp\drivers\Realtek_HD_Audio
    >
    > I dragged the icon of the speaker to the tool bar and cliked on it and
    > got the window.
    >
    > While you are here , should I set the output to 2.1 or 5.1 as I am
    > only using the analog output of the mini jack in the back to go to my
    > surround receiver, OR doesnt it make any difference.( i think it
    > doesnt make any difference as the sound going to the front speakers
    > remains the same in 2.1 or 5.1)
    >
    > I use the analog output because I can control the volume with the
    > mouse. the digital output has no volume control.
    >
    > Thanks

    When selecting a speaker setting in the control panel, it should
    match your wiring. If you're using a single 1/8" plug and
    stereo wire, from the sound jack to the receiver, then you'd
    set up "2 channel speakers" in the control panel.

    The reason for doing this, is some drivers "re-image" sounds
    to fit the acoustic model. Sometimes, there is a tick box in
    the control panel, that enables the function. If you play a
    stereo file, and have the speakers set to 5.1, the driver
    can adjust the levels on all the speakers, to make "surround
    content". Generally, you'd find the front speaker level
    would drop a bit. And sometimes, you can notice glaring
    changes in the sound itself (it doesn't sound right).
    It is better to match the speaker model to the actual connected
    speakers you're using. If you have 5.1 speakers, use 5.1.
    If you have stereo speakers only, then use "2 channel" in
    the control panel. Mine is set to "2 channel" right now,
    and I have stereo speakers connected.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 25, 2010