    Any ideas anyone ?

    TIA
    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Aug 20, 2003

  2. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    "bAZZ" <> wrote in message
    news:FiD0b.121419$...
    > Hi all
    >
    > XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
    > connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

    report
    > 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

    etc
    > all cannot find host etc etc etc.
    >
    > Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
    > etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
    > tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone ?
    >
    > TIA
    > bAZZ

    The above XP has service pack1 and most updates and also runs kaspersky
    firewall so doubt mblast could be at fault.

    Forgot to add that this is posted from same machine using same modem
    (external conexant) in win2000. Was still sitting on 2nd HDD and have not
    gotten around to removing it.
    Sheesh..............as I write this......
    Only had SPK1 and no updates but running AVG just picked up......yep....
    F&^%%$^king mblast.exe. Must have gotten it this arvo when checking mail
    etc. Ah well time to fdisk this drive anyway once I solve XP probs. Can this
    infection of mblast affect the XP installation at all on seperate drive ?

    ---
    bAZZ, Aug 20, 2003

  3. "bAZZ" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
    > connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

    report
    > 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

    etc
    > all cannot find host etc etc etc.
    >
    > Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
    > etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
    > tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone ?
    >
    > TIA
    > bAZZ

    start run cmd
    ipconfig /registerdns
    might help
    ipconfig /? gives the help screen
    Howard Johnson, Aug 20, 2003
  4. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    "Howard Johnson" <> wrote in message

    > "bAZZ" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
    > > connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

    > report
    > > 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

    > etc
    > > all cannot find host etc etc etc.
    > >
    > > Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
    > > etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
    > > tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
    > >
    > > Any ideas anyone ?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > bAZZ
    > >

    > start run cmd
    > ipconfig /registerdns
    > might help
    > ipconfig /? gives the help screen

    Thanx for the suggestion Howard but no joy. It registered OK but still same
    problem persists.
    I did run ipconfig /all as well and there is no mention of the modem in
    there just the NIC. Is this usual as I would have thought it were part of
    (dial-up)networking.

    bAZZ
    Another suggestion was to check lmhosts file but there is none in the XP
    install but I found one here in win2000. Is this usual ?

    ---
    bAZZ, Aug 20, 2003
  5. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <FiD0b.121419$>, bAZZ wrote...
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
    > > connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

    report
    > > 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

    etc
    > > all cannot find host etc etc etc.
    > >
    > > Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
    > > etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
    > > tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
    > >
    > > Any ideas anyone ?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > bAZZ
    > >

    > I've been getting a lot of sites not found 1st attempt on a 98 PC last
    > few days - xtra DNS ??

    That was my first thought but 3-4 refreshes or attempts still didn't help
    and Xtra's helpdesk assured me that all was OK.
    What is annoying is that the modem will dial and connect/handshake etc and
    then nothing works. But all fine in 2000. Wierd.

    bAZZ

    ---
    bAZZ, Aug 20, 2003
  6. bAZZ

    Wombus Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:03:40 +1200, bAZZ <>
    wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
    > connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and
    > report
    > 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity
    > etc
    > all cannot find host etc etc etc.
    >
    > Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
    > etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
    > tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone ?
    >
    > TIA
    > bAZZ

    Man thats wierd... only just seen this post but i can tell you bazz that 2
    nights ago i had the exact same problem as you!!! No it was not the Blaster
    worm... and i'm dialing up with clear Net. drove me nuts, dial up would
    handshake and connect fine but then no access to the net. Bazz your
    symptoms exactly match mine.... my fix was simple, used system restore and
    went back 2 days... I'll be buggerd if i know what caused it though ???

    Wombus, Aug 21, 2003
  7. bAZZ

    James West Guest

    not been reading the news then?

    http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-2582713,00.html

    --
    ..

    James West, Aug 21, 2003
  8. bAZZ

    Wally Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:40:15 +1200, Wombus <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:03:40 +1200, bAZZ <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
    >> connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and
    >> report
    >> 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity
    >> etc
    >> all cannot find host etc etc etc.
    >>
    >> Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
    >> etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
    >> tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
    >>
    >> Any ideas anyone ?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> bAZZ
    >>

    >Man thats wierd... only just seen this post but i can tell you bazz that 2
    >nights ago i had the exact same problem as you!!! No it was not the Blaster
    >worm... and i'm dialing up with clear Net. drove me nuts, dial up would
    >handshake and connect fine but then no access to the net. Bazz your
    >symptoms exactly match mine.... my fix was simple, used system restore and
    >went back 2 days... I'll be buggerd if i know what caused it though ???

    Last saturday nite some IP address`s were dead, i just redialed until
    i got a differnt IP range.

    cheers
    Wally, Aug 25, 2003
  9. >
    > I thought so too but I am connected now thru Xtra on same machine but

    using
    > win2000. When I reboot and try from XP everything is dead so doubt it is
    > Xtra ( but I still initially hounded their help desk but to no avail) as

    I'm
    > chugging along nicely ATM.

    This reminds me of a networking problem I created for myself on a laptop
    running Win98SE. I uninstalled a wireless setup running through a PCI card.
    Now the neighbourhood network tells me that the network is not accessible.
    Just once I got an error message saying that a resource is missing. Some
    resources are held in options\cabs, and some uninstallation processes do
    muck around in there. The recovery disk will trash all my stuff of course. I
    will have to transfer the stuff I want to keep with Zip disks.

    Henry
    Henry Falkner, Aug 25, 2003