XP Destop Disappeared

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ponder, Jun 29, 2006.

  1. Ponder

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Luke O'Malley.

    In <news:6GUog.33$> you wrote:

    > I had moved an USB mouse to my laptop for a short period of time.
    > When I tried to boot up the PC without the mouse I got a no keyboard
    > msg. Then I noticed the keyboard connector (plug in) had become
    > dislodged. I pushed it back in & rebooted. To my surprise I got
    > the old green grass screen instead of all my icons, etc. I tried
    > booting in safe mode and it made no difference. Can someone give me
    > some suggestions to correct this problem.

    Sounds like it's logged you in as a different user. Can you log out and
    select your normal username?

    Otherwise, right-click on the desktop, select Properties, click the
    Desktop tab then the Customize Desktop button and you'll find the main 4
    desktop icons as tick boxes. The others you'll have to create new shortcuts
    for.

    > Goowill,

    Sounds sticky ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jun 29, 2006

  2. Ponder

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > where is my original desktop?
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    In your original user account.

    I had this happen at work on a PC. Actually, twice on the same PC. Never did
    understand why it happened.

    If you look in C:\documents and settings\ you will likely find to similar
    account names - your original one, and a newer one with a modified name. If
    you open the original one, then open the Desktop folder, you can drag that
    stuff to you new desktop.

    I'd also suggest you get your Internet favorites, data from My Documents,
    etc. transfered the same way.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2006