    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    , Jul 9, 2007

  2. Joe Grover Guest

    If you're getting a 169.254.x.x IP address, that means the computer cannot
    obtain an IP address from the DHCP server. Try manually assigning an IP
    address and see if you can ping the default gateway. More than likely it's
    just a wireless connectivity issue. Try plugging directly into the router
    and see if the problem persists.

    Joe

    Joe Grover, Jul 9, 2007

  3. Hi
    Check the Router's DHCP server it might be set to give only two IPs.
    If so, change the setting to a larger range.
    Otherwise, check the Wireless configuration of the Laptop,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 9, 2007
  4. Guest

    Well you got it, i put in an address manually and it worked but i
    still can't figure out #1 why it worked on all the xp desktops (that
    is they were automatically assigned ip addresses) #2 why all (not just
    mine) the xp notebooks aren't being assigned ip addresses manually.

    Jack(next post) suggested the DHCP server might be giving only two
    addresses which might make sense except 2 desktops (wired) and one
    notebok (the wireless vista notebook) are already getting a ip
    addresses automatically...

    Any ideas what migh be the problem?

    On Jul 9, 10:40 am, "Joe Grover" <> wrote:
    > If you're getting a 169.254.x.x IP address, that means the computer cannot
    > obtain an IP address from the DHCP server. Try manually assigning an IP
    > address and see if you can ping the default gateway. More than likely it's
    > just a wireless connectivity issue. Try plugging directly into the router
    > and see if the problem persists.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I just got a a linksys wireless router and got it all setup first my
    > > xp notebook, then a vista notebook, then a xp desktop all with no
    > > problem. I next tried to connect another xp notebook and it gave some
    > > strange error (about the IP address) and then i went back to my
    > > notebook and started getting the same error and then with another xp
    > > notebook . Now all the xp notebooks tell me "limited or no
    > > connectivity" when i click on "details" it gives me a funky ip address
    > > (like 254.105.109 instead of a normal 192.168.1.x like the router is
    > > giving to the xp desktops and the vista notebook. The subnet mask is
    > > also different than what i put into the router.

    > > I can't figure this out so if any kind soul has some suggestions i
    > > would love to hear them.

    > > Cheers

    > > -Gaiko- Hide quoted text -

    , Jul 10, 2007
  5. Guest

    Well joe was right about the address not being assigned properly and i
    would agree with the wireless problem assumption if i wasnt' having
    the same problem on three different notebooks (ie the likelihood of
    three different notebooks having the same problem makes me think that
    it is not the notebooks themselves) but there is still the vista
    notebook which is getting an ip address automatically, no problm.

    I put in a ip address manually on my computer and viola it connected,
    pinged a few addresses and accessed a website.

    I wanted to follow up on your suggestion though because three
    computers (2 desktops and the vista notebook) are automatically being
    assigned ip addresses. I have tried shutting those computers down and
    then connecting to the wireless network hoping the wireless computers
    would automatically get addresses but stil, nada.

    any other ideas would really be appricated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    On Jul 9, 11:34 am, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > Check the Router's DHCP server it might be set to give only two IPs.
    > If so, change the setting to a larger range.
    > Otherwise, check the Wireless configuration of the Laptop,http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I just got a a linksys wireless router and got it all setup first my
    > > xp notebook, then a vista notebook, then a xp desktop all with no
    > > problem. I next tried to connect another xp notebook and it gave some
    > > strange error (about the IP address) and then i went back to my
    > > notebook and started getting the same error and then with another xp
    > > notebook . Now all the xp notebooks tell me "limited or no
    > > connectivity" when i click on "details" it gives me a funky ip address
    > > (like 254.105.109 instead of a normal 192.168.1.x like the router is
    > > giving to the xp desktops and the vista notebook. The subnet mask is
    > > also different than what i put into the router.

    > > I can't figure this out so if any kind soul has some suggestions i
    > > would love to hear them.

    > > Cheers

    > > -Gaiko- Hide quoted text -

    , Jul 10, 2007