XP CRASH.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DRM, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. DRM

    DRM Guest

    I need some advice.

    A guy from work has given me his PC (duron 1300, 256mb )

    He started to install winXP-pro and half way through, for what ever reason
    he turned off the computer.
    I thought it would be a case of getting a boot disc and trying again.

    I can't access the bios.
    It gets as far as the XP start up screen and tries to continue installing,
    it says 39 mins to completion and freezes.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Is the worst possible scenario putting a new HD in?

    Kind regards

    David

    DRM, Dec 18, 2003

  2. DRM

    mark mandel Guest

    "DRM" <> wrote in message
    > I need some advice.
    >
    > A guy from work has given me his PC (duron 1300, 256mb )
    >
    > He started to install winXP-pro and half way through, for what ever reason
    > he turned off the computer.
    > I thought it would be a case of getting a boot disc and trying again.
    >
    > I can't access the bios.
    > It gets as far as the XP start up screen and tries to continue installing,
    > it says 39 mins to completion and freezes.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Is the worst possible scenario putting a new HD in?
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > David

    Perhaps but before doing so I'd run a thorough Scandisk of the drive before
    that. Might even do a diagnostic test of the drive after going to the
    manufacturer website such as WD does.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Dec 18, 2003

  3. DRM

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:49:26 +0000 (UTC), "DRM"
    <> wrote:

    >I need some advice.
    >
    >A guy from work has given me his PC (duron 1300, 256mb )
    >
    >He started to install winXP-pro and half way through, for what ever reason
    >he turned off the computer.
    >I thought it would be a case of getting a boot disc and trying again.
    >
    >I can't access the bios.
    >It gets as far as the XP start up screen

    When you get to this point, you've gone BEYOND the point where you'd
    access the BIOS. Don't worry about gettin' into the BIOS...that
    shouldn't be a major problem if yer gettin' the xp screen.

    >and tries to continue installing,
    >it says 39 mins to completion and freezes.

    Freezes for at least 30 minutes?

    >Is the worst possible scenario putting a new HD in?

    WAY worstest!! lol

    You can simply re-partition the hard drive first...then install the
    operating system that you want.

    Good luck.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003