    learn about such wonders, but no hard data.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 6, 2005

  2. Ron McNulty

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    Ron McNulty wrote:
    > I have one machine (running XP Pro) that refuses to join the workgroup that
    > three others are currently in. It thinks it is a workgroup of the same name,
    > all by itself. It does not show the other machines, and the other machines
    > cannot see it. All machines are on fixed IP addresses.
    >
    > I can ping the machine, and can access the machine's shared drives if I ask
    > for them by IP address. And I can access the SQLServer instance running on
    > it.
    >
    > The machine previously belonged to a Linux-head, who possibly turned off a
    > vital service. Any idea which service(s) are involved in workgroup
    > discovery? Google search seems to return suggestions of where I can go to
    > learn about such wonders, but no hard data.

    Might wanna check that the "Client for Microsoft Networks" service is
    running in the "Local Network Connections" under "Network Connections"
    (Control Panel)....

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    Mark Remfrey, May 6, 2005

  3. Ron McNulty

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Thanks Mark

    Yes, had checked that (plus lots of other things). Tried turning off the XP
    frewall as well. Computer browser service is running too.

    Regards

    Ron.

    Ron McNulty, May 6, 2005
  4. Ron McNulty

    michael Guest

    Ron McNulty wrote:
    > Thanks Mark
    >
    > Yes, had checked that (plus lots of other things). Tried turning off the XP
    > frewall as well. Computer browser service is running too.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron.

    I have the same problem sometimes with my laptop.
    I usually find doing a search on it for one of
    the other computers on the network sorts out the problem.

    weird, but then over the years I've gotten use to
    this kind of behaviour from MS products.

    michael, May 6, 2005
  5. Ron McNulty

    Ron McNulty Guest

    You are right - I can find one of the other machines from the "snob" , but
    it is still not part of the workgroup...

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 6, 2005
  6. Ron McNulty

    Jeremy Guest

    Hi Ron,

    I'm not sure if this will help, but try this,

    Goto adaper properties
    Goto internet protocol (tcp/ip) "properties"
    click advanced
    choose the wins tab on the top
    then select enable netbios over tcp/ip

    select ok all the way back, now the comp might be visible on the workgroup,
    I had this prob here with some dell comps not showing on my network.

    Good Luck

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, May 6, 2005
  7. Ron McNulty

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Hi Jeremy

    Yep been there and turned it on a couple of days ago.

    The rogue machine is also a Dell. But its mate, (same specs, purchased on
    the same order) is fine...

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 7, 2005
  8. Ron McNulty

    S Roby Guest

    Try remaning the workgroup
    Try renaming the (netbios) PC names.
    Make sure the logon is different to the PC name.
    Ive (once) had a similar problem with Win98 & 2k PC's not seeing each other
    untill I changed the names of the 98 PC's (had to make the name
    longer/differnent from the logon, mcant quite remember)

    S Roby, May 7, 2005
  9. Ron McNulty

    Jeremy Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > Try remaning the workgroup
    > Try renaming the (netbios) PC names.
    > Make sure the logon is different to the PC name.
    > Ive (once) had a similar problem with Win98 & 2k PC's not seeing each other
    > untill I changed the names of the 98 PC's (had to make the name
    > longer/differnent from the logon, mcant quite remember)

    Ron,

    Sothing else to try dell supply there comps with lots of norton trial
    stuff, disable it all, from memory that was a problem with our dells as
    well,

    Good Luck

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, May 7, 2005
  10. Ron McNulty

    Me Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 00:22:27 +1200, Jeremy <>
    wrote:

    Have you checke the event log?
    Whats the error msg in the log?

    I dont think its xp refuses, its user doesnt know how...

    Me, May 7, 2005
  11. Ron McNulty

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Hi Guys

    Thanks for the advice. I had already de-installed the Norton stuff and tried
    renaming both the computer and the workgroup. The event log is clean.

    Another piece of info - there is a utility on the net that displays which
    computer is the workgroup master browser (nothing to do with IE), and the
    computers currently in the workgroup. Mirrors exactly what the GUI is
    showing. The rogue machine is the master browser for its own workgroup, and
    it is the only member.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 8, 2005
  12. Ron McNulty

    Guest

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 16:11:59 +1200, "Ron McNulty" <> wrote:

    >I have one machine (running XP Pro) that refuses to join the workgroup that
    >three others are currently in. It thinks it is a workgroup of the same name,
    >all by itself. It does not show the other machines, and the other machines
    >cannot see it. All machines are on fixed IP addresses.
    >I can ping the machine, and can access the machine's shared drives if I ask
    >for them by IP address. And I can access the SQLServer instance running on
    >it.
    >The machine previously belonged to a Linux-head, who possibly turned off a
    >vital service. Any idea which service(s) are involved in workgroup
    >discovery? Google search seems to return suggestions of where I can go to
    >learn about such wonders, but no hard data.
    >Regards
    >Ron

    Just had similar prob, similar but not the same, if you know what I mean.
    Small group of 4 machines on home network, replace 1 machine with updated s/hand
    box. It can see all others except my internet gateway machine, and vice-versa..
    Cut long story short.. had reinstated a drive image on the gateway while other box
    was being replaced, forgot to allow ip range 192.168.0.1 ~192.168.0.10 as trusted.
    Hence all except the gateway could see each other. Should have been a clue.. :-(
    DOH !
    KT

    , May 8, 2005
  13. Ron McNulty

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in

    > I have one machine (running XP Pro) that refuses to join the workgroup
    > that
    >>three others are currently in.

    Try this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

    Perhaps skipping straight to Step 9: nbtstat. Sounds like you are close to
    solving it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 8, 2005