    website:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html but this info didn't
    work any ideas on what I can do to get xp installed on this computer?

    Robert Drake, Nov 15, 2007

  2. Robert Drake

    Maria Guest

    I don't think it can be done. Without changing some hardware.

    Maria, Nov 15, 2007

  3. Robert Drake

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:56:27 -0330, Maria wrote:

    > "Robert Drake" <> wrote in message
    >> To whom it may concern,
    >> I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me
    >> it never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to
    >> this website:
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html but this info
    >> didn't work any ideas on what I can do to get xp installed on this
    >> computer?
    >>

    > I don't think it can be done. Without changing some hardware.

    And this is your considered opinion based on almost zero information?

    All the OP has to do is use a WinXP cd to install the OS on the PC. The
    fact that it was previously run on some Unix flavour is immaterial.
    Aardvark, Nov 15, 2007
  4. Robert Drake

    philo Guest

    > To whom it may concern,
    > I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me it
    > never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to this
    > website:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html but this info didn't
    > work any ideas on what I can do to get xp installed on this computer?

    Just set the bios to boot from the cd

    then bootup and delete all and start over fresh

    choose NTFS for the file system and full format
    philo, Nov 15, 2007
  5. Robert Drake

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert Drake wrote:

    > what I can do to get xp installed on this
    > computer?

    What kind of XP media and license do you have?

    What kind of hardware does the bios see?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 16, 2007
  6. Robert Drake

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:12:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Robert Drake wrote:
    >
    >> what I can do to get xp installed on this
    >> computer?

    > What kind of XP media and license do you have?
    >
    > What kind of hardware does the bios see?

    Oh please. Will you quit with the licensing scare tactics?
    The only reason Bill Gates is trying to limit the license to "per machine",
    is to make himself richer.

    You paid for the system, you have the right to use it as often as you wish.
    Explain to me, wise sir, just how is a "Read only" "write protected" disk
    gonna know how many times, let alone the number of machines, it was
    installed on?

    Hell, I just bought a new box with vista HP on it and didn't even get a
    boot disk with it!

    Then, how's that CD gonna know that I didn't clone a thousand hard drives
    with that one install?
    It's a frickin scare tactic designed to Gates richer, nothing more.
    richard, Nov 16, 2007
  7. "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:12:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Drake wrote:
    >>
    >>> what I can do to get xp installed on this
    >>> computer?

    >> What kind of XP media and license do you have?
    >>
    >> What kind of hardware does the bios see?

    > Oh please. Will you quit with the licensing scare tactics?
    > The only reason Bill Gates is trying to limit the license to "per
    > machine",
    > is to make himself richer.
    >
    > You paid for the system, you have the right to use it as often as you
    > wish.
    > Explain to me, wise sir, just how is a "Read only" "write protected" disk
    > gonna know how many times, let alone the number of machines, it was
    > installed on?
    >
    > Hell, I just bought a new box with vista HP on it and didn't even get a
    > boot disk with it!
    >
    > Then, how's that CD gonna know that I didn't clone a thousand hard drives
    > with that one install?
    > It's a frickin scare tactic designed to Gates richer, nothing more.

    I suspect you could do that clone job OK-- but unless all machines were
    configured exactly the same way, when you went to update the OS, you'd get
    nailed.
    Joseph Wheeler, Nov 16, 2007
  8. Aardvark wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:56:27 -0330, Maria wrote:
    >> "Robert Drake" <> wrote:
    >>> To whom it may concern,
    >>> I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me
    >>> it never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to
    >>> this website: <snip>

    >> I don't think it can be done. Without changing some hardware.

    > And this is your considered opinion based on almost zero information?

    Agreed there was a lot left missing...

    > All the OP has to do is use a WinXP cd to install the OS on the PC.

    What if it isn't a PC? ;-)

    > The fact that it was previously run on some Unix flavour is
    > immaterial.

    You're probably thinking "Linux." A "unix system" could be .. well,
    some mini-computer, perhaps, where the hardware will not run Windows ..
    or Linux. We just don't know until Mr Drake describes the computer.

    Mr Drake? The ball's in your court.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 16, 2007
  9. Robert Drake

    sittingduck Guest

    Joseph Wheeler wrote:

    > I suspect you could do that clone job OK-- but unless all machines were
    > configured exactly the same way, when you went to update the OS, you'd get
    > nailed.

    Just download a copy that has SP2 and updates slipstreamed and forget
    updates.
    sittingduck, Nov 16, 2007
  10. Robert Drake

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Robert Drake wrote:
    >>
    >>> what I can do to get xp installed on this
    >>> computer?

    >> What kind of XP media and license do you have?
    >>
    >> What kind of hardware does the bios see?

    > Oh please. Will you quit with the licensing scare tactics?

    We don't know what the OP has and doesn't have.

    Some people have a computer from 'one place' and an OEM XP + bloatware
    disk image, such as HP/Compaq from 'another place'. The OP may have a
    computer with a hdd and a CDROM and a Compaq/HP DVD drive image.

    > Hell, I just bought a new box with vista HP on it and didn't even get
    > a boot disk with it!

    Exactly. Or if you 'order' a vista DVD from the manufacturer you don't
    get a MS Vista disk, you get a mfr boot image designed to install only
    on the manufacturers hardware.

    > Then, how's that CD gonna know that I didn't clone a thousand hard
    > drives with that one install?

    The CD/DVD's install software starts off by looking for the correct
    hardware. There is no 'Vista install' program.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 16, 2007
  11. Robert Drake

    Art Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:12:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Drake wrote:
    >>
    >>> what I can do to get xp installed on this
    >>> computer?

    >> What kind of XP media and license do you have?
    >>
    >> What kind of hardware does the bios see?

    > Oh please. Will you quit with the licensing scare tactics?
    > The only reason Bill Gates is trying to limit the license to "per machine",
    > is to make himself richer.
    >
    > You paid for the system, you have the right to use it as often as you wish.
    > Explain to me, wise sir, just how is a "Read only" "write protected" disk
    > gonna know how many times, let alone the number of machines, it was
    > installed on?
    >
    > Hell, I just bought a new box with vista HP on it and didn't even get a
    > boot disk with it!
    >
    > Then, how's that CD gonna know that I didn't clone a thousand hard drives
    > with that one install?
    > It's a frickin scare tactic designed to Gates richer, nothing more.

    Richard, You're a dumbass.

    --
    Art
    Art, Nov 16, 2007
  12. Robert Drake

    Maria Guest

    You are correct I was wrong. I read the original post incorrectly
    thanks for pointing that out.

    Maria, Nov 16, 2007
  13. Robert Drake

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:12:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Drake wrote:
    >>
    >>> what I can do to get xp installed on this
    >>> computer?

    >> What kind of XP media and license do you have?
    >>
    >> What kind of hardware does the bios see?

    > Oh please. Will you quit with the licensing scare tactics?

    Nothing to do with scare tatics and everything to do with which version
    the OP has. For example, an XP upgrade disk probably won't cut unless
    there is a previous version on the system. A manufacturers supplied disk
    may not work on the wrong hardware. It was a perfectly valid question
    considering the complete lack of information the OP provided.

    > The only reason Bill Gates is trying to limit the license to "per machine",
    > is to make himself richer.

    Don't forget the local independent computer retailer who is also losing
    sales due to piracy, it's not just about Mr Gates you know.

    > You paid for the system, you have the right to use it as often as you wish.

    Well yes and no, you actually purchase a license to use it within a
    agreed set of parameters, they just happen to send you a disk to
    facilitate the install.
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 16, 2007
  14. Robert Drake wrote:

    > To whom it may concern,
    > I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me it
    > never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to this
    > website:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html but this info didn't
    > work any ideas on what I can do to get xp installed on this computer?

    Unix may have been on a PC (chances are rather smaall) or maybe on a sun
    solaris or ibm risc or some old compaq server with hardware-scsi-raid and
    hardware unbeknownst to XP, or anything else but the kitchen sink.
    Windows only works on a PC-type hardware.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 16, 2007
  15. i'm in montreal, mike.
    i bought an acer computer mid august with vista home premium pre loaded.
    i didn't get a dvd with the o/s in it for reinstall purposes.
    are you saying if i contact acer they'll send me a dvd with the o/s on it ?
    is there a cost for this ?
    i had to take the puter back to the store recently but the software wasn't
    guaranteed in the sale - it costed me 113$ total to get vista reinstalled.
    the original installation was corrupt.

    mikey likes it, Nov 19, 2007
  16. Robert Drake

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    "mikey likes it" <> wrote in message
    > i'm in montreal, mike.
    > i bought an acer computer mid august with vista home premium pre loaded.
    > i didn't get a dvd with the o/s in it for reinstall purposes.
    > are you saying if i contact acer they'll send me a dvd with the o/s on it
    > ? is there a cost for this ?
    > i had to take the puter back to the store recently but the software wasn't
    > guaranteed in the sale - it costed me 113$ total to get vista reinstalled.
    > the original installation was corrupt.

    Acer computers normally have a partition on the hard drive holding an image
    of the install, which can be accessed from a program on your start menu.
    The name of the program escapes me at the moment, but IIRC it was E-config
    or E-restore or something like that.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus