    working. Can someone please help me?

    Thanks,
    newtechie
    Newtechie, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Can you ping Vista by IP?

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "Newtechie" <> wrote in message news:...
    My wireless laptop running XP Home can't see my Vista machine (RC2 v5744)
    but Vista can see and access the files on the XP laptop. I have tried
    disabling the firewalls on both and setting full permissions and nothing is

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Dec 18, 2006

  3. Newtechie

    Newtechie Guest

    Hi Robert - yes I can.

    Newtechie, Dec 18, 2006
  4. What do you have when using net view \\vistaip? Or check this troubleshooting,
    troubleshooting is not accessible errorTroubleshooting "... is not accessible" error step by step. When try to access a remote computer, you may receive the following error messages: ...
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/Troubleshooting/notaccessibale0.htm

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Dec 18, 2006
  5. Newtechie

    Newtechie Guest

    I get a system error 5 has occured.

    Newtechie, Dec 18, 2006
  6. updated and still have a the same issue, I might have to reinstall xp

    =?Utf-8?B?RE9O?=, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Don't forget you have public and private networks in Vista. Your Vista
    machine should be set private so it can be seen at home and you should make
    sure it isn't username and password to get access across the lan.

    Lastly, if you have a third party firewall installed on Vista, uninstall it.
    I had ZA Pro from the old XP days turned off and upgraded to Vista. ZA Pro
    didn't work with Vista and I hadn't tried to use it but though it wasn't
    officially loading with Windows it was still stopping the XP machines from
    seeing the Vista one. Getting rid of it fixed that.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Mar 7, 2007
  8. Newtechie

    laszlojamf

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I had the same problem. Had to poke around for a while before I figured it out. In Vista, go to Network and Sharing Center. At the bottom of the screen, there's an option "Password protected sharing." It was set to ON. When I set it to OFF, my XP machine suddenly was able to see my Vista machine.
    laszlojamf, Jan 21, 2010
  9. Newtechie

    OKC_Jim

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I had the issue where my Vista machine could see and share files with my two XP machines, but the XP machines could not see the Vista machine. In addition, when the Vista machine was on, I would sometimes get an error on the XP machines stating that I did not have a home network and that the system administrator would need to be contacted. In other words, Vista was even interfering with the XP machines' abilites to see a home network at all. Well, after messing around with both machines, and of course enabling the appropriate settings in Vista's Network and Sharing Center, such as enabling sharing, network discovery, etc. I clicked on Network Connections in the Network and Sharing Center left bar. Then, I right clicked on my Wireless Network Connection. Then, I selected Properties. Lo and behold, there I see File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is NOT checked. Sheesh. I put a check in the check box, and immediately all problems SOLVED! Hope this helps someone.
    OKC_Jim, Feb 19, 2011