    at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
    throw BSODs.

    cheers

    Warwick, Dec 6, 2006

  2. Warwick

    frederick Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
    > Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
    > to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
    > doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
    >
    > System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
    > fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
    > effect.
    >
    > The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
    > there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked
    > at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
    > throw BSODs.
    >
    > cheers

    Last time I had that problem, a stuffed agp video card was the cause.

    frederick, Dec 6, 2006

  3. Warwick

    J Brockley Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
    > Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
    > to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
    > doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
    >
    > System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
    > fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
    > effect.
    >
    > The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
    > there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't
    > looked
    > at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
    > throw BSODs.
    >
    > cheers

    Check for stuffed capacitors on Mbrd. Usually indicated by leakage or
    swollen tops.

    J Brockley, Dec 6, 2006
  4. Warwick

    Enkidu Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
    > Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
    > to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
    > doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
    >
    > System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
    > fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
    > effect.
    >
    > The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
    > there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked
    > at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
    > throw BSODs.

    Wot frederick said. Any bad RAM can cause this. I don't know if it is
    the only cause.

    Incidentally, defragging does not normally touch the page file, which is
    where paged out pages live.

    The message refers to areas in RAM that are marked as non-paged but
    which page tables say is paged. I think that's the way round it is.
    Basically RAM is any RAM, including maybe video RAM.

    You could run memtest or any memory tester over your RAM.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Dec 6, 2006
  5. Warwick

    Phil Guest

    Warwick wrote, On 6/12/06 8.37 p:
    > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
    > Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
    > to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
    > doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.

    Microsoft's support site is usually pretty good with specific BSOD
    messages, although this is one of those that has many possibilities:
    <http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&query=PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA&adv=&mode=r&cat=False&spid=1173>

    -Phil

    Phil, Dec 6, 2006
  6. Warwick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
    > Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not
    > seem to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle -
    > and it doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
    >
    > System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
    > fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
    > effect.
    >
    > The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed
    > hardware/software - there isn't any. And disabling caching or
    > shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked at BIOS yet but can't understand
    > why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to throw BSODs.
    >
    > cheers

    Download and run Memtest 86+. You make either a bootable floppy or a
    bootable CD and set it to boot from the selected media. It loops through RAM
    tests and will tell you if your RAM is at fault (as I suspect it may be).
    Running it overnight/for 8 hours is a good test.

    Good luck.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2006
  7. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:32:32 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Warwick wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
    >> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not
    >> seem to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle -
    >> and it doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
    >>
    >> System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
    >> fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
    >> effect.
    >>
    >> The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed
    >> hardware/software - there isn't any. And disabling caching or
    >> shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked at BIOS yet but can't understand
    >> why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to throw BSODs.
    >>
    >> cheers

    > Download and run Memtest 86+. You make either a bootable floppy or a
    > bootable CD and set it to boot from the selected media. It loops through RAM
    > tests and will tell you if your RAM is at fault (as I suspect it may be).
    > Running it overnight/for 8 hours is a good test.
    >
    > Good luck.

    I have ram test set in bios for start up. I have watched it boot and click
    the ram over, no problems. Could there be faults in RAM that BIOS cannot
    detect but Memtest will?

    Frankly I suspect the graphics card. When I saw Fredericks post I
    remembered one of the springloaded pins that hold the heatsink to the chip
    had broken and I fixed it with a piece of toothpick about 3 years ago.
    Before I identified that problem it threw BSODs. I dont have another AGP
    card to swap it out with, but first diagnostic step is buying a new one and
    swapping it. Probably later today.

    cheers

    Warwick, Dec 7, 2006
  8. In article <1uf4yxna56c80.163kig0gbfg80$>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
    > Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
    > to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
    > doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
    >
    > System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
    > fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
    > effect.
    >
    > The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
    > there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked
    > at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
    > throw BSODs.
    >
    > cheers

    For me, that started happening when I loaded WinXP's ServicePack2 on to my
    machine, never had happened before. The solution was to take SP2 back off,
    reduce FSB speed in the bios a little and crossgrade to better quality memory
    sticks.
    A lot of trouble to have to go to :-( but the machine's been rock solid again
    from that time onwards.
    I have kept Windows Update turned off ever since, cause I don't want anything
    similar happening again, tyvm. Huh, that reminds me: it must be just about
    backup time.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 7, 2006
  9. Warwick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:32:32 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Warwick wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro
    > > > on an Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent
    > > > and does not seem to relate to paging since it happens when the
    > > > machine is idle - and it doesn't do much apart from playing music
    > > > anyway.
    > > >
    > > > System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
    > > > fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has
    > > > had no effect.
    > > >
    > > > The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed
    > > > hardware/software - there isn't any. And disabling caching or
    > > > shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked at BIOS yet but can't understand
    > > > why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to throw BSODs.
    > > >
    > > > cheers

    > > Download and run Memtest 86+. You make either a bootable floppy or a
    > > bootable CD and set it to boot from the selected media. It loops
    > > through RAM tests and will tell you if your RAM is at fault (as I
    > > suspect it may be). Running it overnight/for 8 hours is a good test.
    > >
    > > Good luck.

    > I have ram test set in bios for start up. I have watched it boot and
    > click the ram over, no problems. Could there be faults in RAM that
    > BIOS cannot detect but Memtest will?

    Most certainly.

    > Frankly I suspect the graphics card. When I saw Fredericks post I
    > remembered one of the springloaded pins that hold the heatsink to the
    > chip had broken and I fixed it with a piece of toothpick about 3
    > years ago. Before I identified that problem it threw BSODs. I dont
    > have another AGP card to swap it out with, but first diagnostic step
    > is buying a new one and swapping it. Probably later today.

    Ok, that doesn't sound good with the jerry-rigged repair. Please, let us
    know what happens.

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 7, 2006
  10. Warwick

    Biggles Guest

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:37:43 +1300, Warwick wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
    > Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
    > to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
    > doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
    >

    > cheers

    Mine has been doing this same damn thing lately,,,

    Its intermittent,can go 5 ddays with no hiccups, blue screens usually when
    i login as admin ... ill never by quay computer ram again .. grrrrrr

    Biggles

    Biggles, Dec 8, 2006
  11. In message <>, Peter Huebner
    wrote:

    > For me, that started happening when I loaded WinXP's ServicePack2 on to my
    > machine, never had happened before. The solution was to take SP2 back
    > off...

    Have you found and fixed the real problem, or are you still running such a
    dangerously insecure configuration?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 8, 2006