    anything.

    Any help??? can you e mail me at the

    Cheers Chris
    Chris Monks, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Chris Monks

    pulse Guest

    A nudge:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prgg_det_tmlo.asp

    Then of course, there's the registry, ... If you have to go in depth you
    will need to do some more research. Being able to find this kind of
    information is essential if you want to become a pc service technician!

    pulse, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Chris Monks

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Chris Monks" <> wrote in

    > HELP
    > I am a pc servicing student and been set a task to explain
    > what windows XP uses instead of config.sys io.sys and
    > autoexec.bat to boot and I don't seem to be able to find
    > anything.

    MBR loads NTLDR. NTLDR starts the appropriate minifile system
    drivers, which are built into NTLDR which enables NTLDR to find and
    load Windows XP Professional from partitions formatted with file
    allocation table (FAT), FAT32, or NT file system (NTFS). NTLDR parses
    the BOOT.INI files to find out where XP is hiding. If more than one
    operating system selection is available in BOOT.INI, the "Please
    Select The Operating System To Start" screen appears. If no operating
    system is selected before the timer reaches zero, NTLDR loads the
    operating system specified by the default parameter in BOOT.INI. If
    there is only one entry in BOOT.INI, the default operating system is
    automatically loaded. If BOOT.INI is not present, NTLDR attempts to
    load Windows XP Professional from the first partition of the first
    disk, typically C:\.

    If you select an operating system other than Windows XP Professional,
    NTLDR loads and executes BOOTSECT.DOS. BOOTSECT.DOS is a copy of the
    boot sector that was on the system partition when Windows XP
    Professional was installed. Passing execution to BOOTSECT.DOS starts
    the boot process for the selected operating system.

    NTDETECT.COM and NTOSKRNL.EXE perform hardware detection.
    NTDETECT.COM executes after you select Windows XP Professional on the
    "Please Select The Operating System To Start: screen (or after the
    timer times out). NTDETECT.COM collects a list of currently installed
    hardware components and returns this list to NTLDR. NTDETECT.COM and
    NTOSKRNL.EXE perform hardware detection. NTDETECT.COM executes after
    you select Windows XP Professional on the "Please Select The
    Operating System To Start screen" (or after the timer times out).
    NTDETECT.COM collects a list of currently installed hardware
    components and returns this list to NTLDR.

    During the kernel load stage, NTLDR does the following:

    Loads NTOSKRNL.EXE but does not initialize it.

    Loads the hardware abstraction layer file (HAL.DLL)

    Loads the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM registry key from %systemroot%
    \System32\Config\System Selects the control set it will use to
    initialize the computer

    Loads device drivers with a value of 0x0 for the Start entry

    When the kernel load stage is complete, the kernel initializes, and
    NTLDR passes control to the kernel. The system displays a graphical
    screen with a status bar indicating load status.

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Oct 22, 2003