XP boot up problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by # Fred #, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. # Fred #

    # Fred # Guest

    On boot up I get a message stating the computer previously didn't shut down
    properly. The options were to boot up in windows, previous good
    configuration, safe mode, etc. I always shut down with Start>Turn Computer

    # Fred #, Jul 11, 2006

  2. # Fred #

    Toolman Tim Guest

    # Fred # wrote:
    > On boot up I get a message stating the computer previously didn't
    > shut down properly. The options were to boot up in windows, previous
    > good configuration, safe mode, etc. I always shut down with
    > Start>Turn Computer Off>Turn Off. Anyway to found out what's the
    > problem and fix this? Thanks!

    Just a start, but check your event logs and see if anything is showing error
    messages during the shut down process.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 11, 2006

  3. # Fred #

    JP Guest

    "# Fred #" <> wrote in message
    > On boot up I get a message stating the computer previously didn't shut
    > down properly. The options were to boot up in windows, previous good
    > configuration, safe mode, etc. I always shut down with Start>Turn Computer
    > Off>Turn Off. Anyway to found out what's the problem and fix this? Thanks!

    Usually the message is "we apologise for the inconvenience but windows
    failed to start correctly..." something like that, meaning the previous
    attempt to load windows failed, probably restarted. Is it possibly
    restarting itself during a cold boot, until everything us up to speed? Maybe
    try system restore or removing periphs as first diag step?

    -jeepers

    JP, Jul 11, 2006