    I have AVG and Spyware Terminator, both updated daily so I'm hoping its not
    a malware attack - What possible causes should I check for?

    TIA.

    Sans Serif, Nov 28, 2008

  2. Sans Serif

    ian field Guest

    "Sans Serif" <> wrote in message
    news:GKUXk.5048$2...
    > Running XP pro.
    >
    > First start-up today my PC reported widows error starting up, it took two
    > goes at "last known good settings" before it booted into windows.
    >
    > I have AVG and Spyware Terminator, both updated daily so I'm hoping its
    > not
    > a malware attack - What possible causes should I check for?
    >
    > TIA.

    It probably isn't coincidence that when my PC finally started, attempts to
    post to newsgroups in OE failed (didn't try sending email) - there is
    connection, AVG & Spyware Terminator both downloaded their updates and I can
    load webpages and view new newsgroup posts, also I can both download and
    post using Xnews.

    Posts via OE seem to appear eventually after a considerable delay.

    ian field, Nov 28, 2008

  3. Sans Serif

    Buffalo Guest

    ian field wrote:
    > "Sans Serif" <> wrote in message
    >> Running XP pro.
    >>
    >> First start-up today my PC reported widows error starting up, it
    >> took two goes at "last known good settings" before it booted into
    >> windows.
    >>
    >> I have AVG and Spyware Terminator, both updated daily so I'm hoping
    >> its not
    >> a malware attack - What possible causes should I check for?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > It probably isn't coincidence that when my PC finally started,
    > attempts to post to newsgroups in OE failed (didn't try sending
    > email) - there is connection, AVG & Spyware Terminator both
    > downloaded their updates and I can load webpages and view new
    > newsgroup posts, also I can both download and post using Xnews.
    >
    > Posts via OE seem to appear eventually after a considerable delay.

    Try removing and reseating the ram sticks (machine off, of course).
    Sometimes the connections get a little oxidized and a poor intermittent
    connection exists.
    Ram can cause may problems.

    You could also dl,install, update and run the free version of MalwareBytes
    AntiMalware. It is an excellent program.
    Perhaps try one of the free anti-virus online scans from Kaspersky,
    TrendMicro,etc.

    Buffalo, Nov 28, 2008
  4. Sans Serif

    ian field Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in message

    > ian field wrote:
    >> "Sans Serif" <> wrote in message
    >>> Running XP pro.
    >>>
    >>> First start-up today my PC reported widows error starting up, it
    >>> took two goes at "last known good settings" before it booted into
    >>> windows.
    >>>
    >>> I have AVG and Spyware Terminator, both updated daily so I'm hoping
    >>> its not
    >>> a malware attack - What possible causes should I check for?
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>

    >> It probably isn't coincidence that when my PC finally started,
    >> attempts to post to newsgroups in OE failed (didn't try sending
    >> email) - there is connection, AVG & Spyware Terminator both
    >> downloaded their updates and I can load webpages and view new
    >> newsgroup posts, also I can both download and post using Xnews.
    >>
    >> Posts via OE seem to appear eventually after a considerable delay.

    > Try removing and reseating the ram sticks (machine off, of course).
    > Sometimes the connections get a little oxidized and a poor intermittent
    > connection exists.
    > Ram can cause may problems.

    Had a RAM stick die about 4 months ago - the sticks were tried one at a time
    in either slot to figure out which one had got flaky, I'll re-check if the
    problem persists.

    > You could also dl,install, update and run the free version of MalwareBytes
    > AntiMalware. It is an excellent program.
    > Perhaps try one of the free anti-virus online scans from Kaspersky,
    > TrendMicro,etc.

    So far AVG hasn't let me down very often, Spyware Terminator finished its
    scan with no items to remove (that isn't usual) so I clinked scan again and
    selected the deepest level scan - this time it found a long list!

    I'd downloaded Malwarebytes yesterday but not had time to play with it yet.

    ian field, Nov 28, 2008