    Adaware...nothing detected

    Suggestions ?

    NZed

    tHe otHer BeaTle, Jun 28, 2005

  2. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Bubba Ray Guest

    tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
    > I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however I
    > have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
    >
    > Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
    >
    > Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
    > Zone Alarm firewall
    > Adaware...nothing detected
    >
    > Suggestions ?
    >
    > NZed

    It's Microsoft. It could be anything.

    One time when I was *forced* to use XP the damn thing would consistently
    crash because it didn't like the modem.

    However my bet is that it's a virus. Have you opened any dodgy email
    attachments lately?

    Bubba Ray, Jun 28, 2005

  3. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "tHe otHer BeaTle" <> wrote in

    > I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue
    > screen...however I have now noticed that something is switching off my
    > zonealarm firewall !
    >
    > Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
    >
    > Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
    > Zone Alarm firewall
    > Adaware...nothing detected
    >
    > Suggestions ?
    >
    > NZed

    Pull the HDD, put it into a known clean updated machine and scan it with
    your favorite tools, back up all the data while you are at it.
    AVG is overrated IMHO. Antivir is free too, but better IMHO. Do you
    have SpywareBlaster?

    Turn off the auto-reboot option and post some deatail about the crash!
    Blue Screens have differences.
    What does your event logs say about it?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 28, 2005
  4. tHe otHer BeaTle

    XPD Guest

    "tHe otHer BeaTle" <> wrote in message
    >I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however
    >I have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
    >
    > Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
    >
    > Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
    > Zone Alarm firewall
    > Adaware...nothing detected
    >
    > Suggestions ?
    >
    > NZed

    Blue screens on XP generally indicate hardware fault... altho this could
    come about via a corrupt driver as well. Reinstall all your drivers and see
    if the issue goes away.

    XPD, Jun 28, 2005
  5. tHe otHer BeaTle

    PAM. Guest

    "tHe otHer BeaTle" <> wrote in message
    > I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however

    > have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
    > Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
    > Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
    > Zone Alarm firewall
    > Adaware...nothing detected
    > Suggestions ?

    I've had this twice. 1st time it was memory. get a free memtest file and
    check your memory. 2nd time and still, it she video card buggered. Currently
    fails when playing games.

    My current solution is not to play games :) and use Linux.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 28, 2005
  6. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Tim Guest

    tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
    > I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however I
    > have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
    >
    > Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
    >
    > Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
    > Zone Alarm firewall
    > Adaware...nothing detected
    >
    > Suggestions ?
    >
    > NZed

    Could be a windows update. Am using Win2k and recently had similar
    problem after installing updates. Ended up booting into safe mode and
    uninstalling windows updates until problem went away.

    Tim

    Tim, Jun 29, 2005
  7. tHe otHer BeaTle

    NZed Guest

    that sounds familiar...as I had done an update to XP 2
    bugger !
    NZed

    NZed, Jun 29, 2005
  8. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Peter S Guest

    "Bubba Ray" <> wrote in message
    > tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
    >> I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue
    >> screen...however I have now noticed that something is switching off my
    >> zonealarm firewall !
    >>
    >> Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
    >>
    >> Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
    >> Zone Alarm firewall
    >> Adaware...nothing detected
    >>
    >> Suggestions ?
    >>
    >> NZed
    >>

    > It's Microsoft. It could be anything.
    >
    > One time when I was *forced* to use XP the damn thing would consistently
    > crash because it didn't like the modem.
    >
    > However my bet is that it's a virus. Have you opened any dodgy email
    > attachments lately?

    The something switching off ZoneAlarms firewall is ZoneAlarm itself
    unfortunately. They have very poor quality control. See this link :
    http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=29193&category=main

    Peter S, Jun 29, 2005
  9. "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "tHe otHer BeaTle" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Blue screens on XP generally indicate hardware fault... altho this could
    > come about via a corrupt driver as well. Reinstall all your drivers and
    > see if the issue goes away.

    Corrupted Iomega Zip disks have caused blue screens on my Toshiba A10 laptop
    with XP. The work-around is to re-format the disk before accessing it.

    It is a parallel Iomega box, which needs to be powered up and on-line before
    switching on the laptop to become accessible. I don't use it much anymore
    because I use CD-Rs, and CD-RWs for temporary stuff now.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, Jun 29, 2005
  10. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Tim Guest

    I am impressed by your scientific methodology, the rapidity with which you
    come to conclusions and your willingness to then modify those conclusions
    when you receive further evidence.

    IE
    - Its Microsoft
    - It could be anything
    - my bet is that its a virus.

    Now, which one of those is the OP supposed to use as the basis for solving
    their problem? Random Shuffle perhaps? Is that how things are solved in your
    world? No wonder you had issues with XP.

    Hmmm science at its very best.

    Tim, Jul 1, 2005
  11. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Tim Guest

    Well, that answer defies logic.

    Your 'conclusion' is that OP's system has a hardware fault.
    So your recommendation is that the OP reinstalls drivers.

    What happens to the cause of the Fault? Does the OP hope the issue just goes
    away?
    Surely if there is a hardware fault it should be fixed or it will come back
    and bite.

    Hmmm. A more scientific approach is needed starting with a small dose of
    diagnostics. Details on the BSOD's are important.

    Tim, Jul 1, 2005
  12. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Bubba Ray Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > I am impressed by your scientific methodology, the rapidity with which you
    > come to conclusions and your willingness to then modify those conclusions
    > when you receive further evidence.
    >
    > IE
    > - Its Microsoft
    > - It could be anything
    > - my bet is that its a virus.
    >
    > Now, which one of those is the OP supposed to use as the basis for solving
    > their problem? Random Shuffle perhaps? Is that how things are solved in your
    > world? No wonder you had issues with XP.
    >
    > Hmmm science at its very best.

    If it was me I'd fill the stupid Windows machine up with concrete, throw
    it in the deepest part of the ocean, and replace with either a Linux box
    or a Mac.

    There, that's my solution. And if everybody did that the world would be
    a happier place. Apart from the ocean floor.

    Bubba Ray, Jul 1, 2005
  13. Bubba Ray wrote:
    > If it was me I'd fill the stupid Windows machine up with concrete, throw
    > it in the deepest part of the ocean, and replace with either a Linux box
    > or a Mac.

    Just a minor suggestion, format and install Linux if you're going to do
    that... that way you don't have to shell out on new hardware.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 1, 2005