XP Backup Software

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg House, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..

    What should he get

    Norton's Ghost 12

    Norton's Back & Restore

    Macaronis

    Or Paragon

    From memory some of these will backup XP OS files on the fly..

    What is the easiest to use and the most reliable.

    Must not run in DOS mode..

    These was a article about this some time back but I can't seem to find it..

    Greg House, Aug 9, 2007

  2. "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    > A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
    > external USB HD..
    >
    > What should he get
    >
    > Norton's Ghost 12
    >
    > Norton's Back & Restore

    If you want backup for Norton you had better learn Urdu, Gujarati,
    Malayalam, Tamil or several other languages from the sub-continent if you
    seek an intelligent discussion of your problem.

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 9, 2007

  3. Greg House

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Aug 9, 2007
  4. In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > A friend needs to backup XP systems files...

    Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
    agreement
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 9, 2007
  5. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:34:53 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:
    >>

    >> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..
    >>
    >> What should he get

    >Does he really need to back up system files? If not then try Syncback -
    >http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

    Yes he want to backup XP as well as normal data files, and I need some first hand feed back or some
    web sites with decent reviews or recommendations.

    I have updated the list of brands.

    Norton's Ghost 12

    Norton Save & Restore 2.0

    Acronis® True Image 9.1 Workstation

    Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 Personal

    All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it seems..

    Thanks..

    Greg House, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Greg House

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Greg House < wrote in

    > All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it
    > seems..

    Although it is possible to do a system backup of a system that is running,
    that means using an open file manager and thank goodness for Windows XP and
    forward for providing the PXE to let that happen. I don't know what your
    opposition to some dos based system is, it is still going to have to be
    documented...
    IMHO, don't use the norton stuff, stay symantec or something else.
    Acronis is supposed to be very good and they have a method to move the
    backup to a different platform. This costs extra but could be really
    handy!
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr/ltc_interviews/May_13_2006/

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 9, 2007
  7. Greg House

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:51:12 +1200, Greg House
    < wrote:

    >A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..
    >
    >What should he get
    >
    >Norton's Ghost 12
    >
    >Norton's Back & Restore
    >
    >Macaronis
    >

    >Or Paragon
    >
    >From memory some of these will backup XP OS files on the fly..
    >
    >What is the easiest to use and the most reliable.
    >

    >Must not run in DOS mode..

    Image for Windows (www.terabyteunlimited.com) does disk images on the
    fly. You can extract individual files from the image with their free
    TBIView utility. It's simple and lightweight, a very nice app. I use
    it to image our servers at work every night.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Aug 9, 2007
  8. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On 9 Aug 2007 20:55:47 +1200, Dave Taylor <> wrote:

    >Greg House < wrote in
    >
    >> All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it
    >> seems..
    >>

    >Although it is possible to do a system backup of a system that is running,
    >that means using an open file manager and thank goodness for Windows XP and
    >forward for providing the PXE to let that happen. I don't know what your
    >opposition to some dos based system is, it is still going to have to be
    >documented...
    >IMHO, don't use the norton stuff, stay symantec or something else.
    >Acronis is supposed to be very good and they have a method to move the
    >backup to a different platform. This costs extra but could be really
    >handy!
    >http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr/ltc_interviews/May_13_2006/

    I can handle a Dos based backup system but I don't think friend can that needs it...

    The backup will I think be going to a USB HD unless my friend changes his mind..

    Greg House, Aug 9, 2007
  9. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:34:53 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:
    >>

    >> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..
    >>
    >> What should he get

    >Does he really need to back up system files? If not then try Syncback -
    >http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

    Yes he want to backup XP as well as normal data files, and I need some first hand feed back or some
    web sites with decent reviews or recommendations.

    I have updated (No.2) the list of brands.

    Norton's Ghost 12

    Norton Save & Restore 2.0

    Acronis® True Image 10 Home

    Greg House, Aug 9, 2007
  10. Greg House

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On 9 Aug 2007 20:55:47 +1200, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Greg House < wrote in
    >>
    >>> All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it
    >>> seems..
    >>>

    >> Although it is possible to do a system backup of a system that is
    >> running, that means using an open file manager and thank goodness
    >> for Windows XP and forward for providing the PXE to let that happen.
    >> I don't know what your opposition to some dos based system is, it is
    >> still going to have to be documented...
    >> IMHO, don't use the norton stuff, stay symantec or something else.
    >> Acronis is supposed to be very good and they have a method to move
    >> the backup to a different platform. This costs extra but could be
    >> really handy!
    >> http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr/ltc_interviews/May_13_2006/

    > I can handle a Dos based backup system but I don't think friend can
    > that needs it...
    >
    > The backup will I think be going to a USB HD unless my friend
    > changes his mind..

    Acronis isn't command line. It runs under Windows and you can also create a
    bootable CD. The bootable version has a GUI and looks just like Windows XP
    (even down to the appearance of title bars, buttons etc.)

    Nik Coughlin, Aug 9, 2007
  11. Greg House

    PeeCee Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    > A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
    > external USB HD..
    >
    > What should he get
    >
    > Norton's Ghost 12
    >
    > Norton's Back & Restore
    >
    > Macaronis
    >

    > Or Paragon
    >
    > From memory some of these will backup XP OS files on the fly..
    >
    > What is the easiest to use and the most reliable.
    >

    > Must not run in DOS mode..
    >

    > These was a article about this some time back but I can't seem to find
    > it..

    Greg

    I have used Acronis TI thru to version 8 personal (or SE or whatever the
    'lite' version is)
    Successfully ran from XP and created boot disk & image disk.

    Never used it to restore a corrupted/dead hard drive, but some practice runs
    wouldn't restore with an earlier version but versions 7 & 8 worked just
    fine.

    I would comment that while image backups can be fine for a speedy recovery
    of a downed system the negatives are:
    The larger storage capacity required.
    The time taken to do the image, which frequently runs into hours.
    Productivity loss's because it pays not to have anything open while the
    image is created = can't use PC
    Image carries all the baggage flaws & detrius present at the last imaging.

    A more practical restore strategy is to Image the drive with all the apps &
    settings the user wants as standard while the PC is know to be running
    clean.
    Store this 'clean' image then set up a backup that collects all the 'data'
    that the user creates from this point on.
    eg My Documents, emails, addressbook, Favourites, Accounting data etc.

    This means the daily (hourly, weakly, whatever) backup time and
    inconvenience is greatly reduced so the backup is more likely to be done.
    Restoration then is simply a case of using the 'clean' restore image and
    copying the data back from the last data backup.
    The advantages are:
    The backup is a lot quicker
    Backup is a lot smaller
    If the last image is corrupt at least the data is safe and can be restored
    once a normal OS/drivers/apps installation has been done.

    As a bonus this strategy forces the user to know just what data is important
    and where it is, something a lot of users complain they're 'to busy' to do.
    If they're to busy to know where there data is then for sure they are to
    busy to wait while an hour long 'image' is created.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 9, 2007
  12. Greg House

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Aug 10, 2007
  13. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:54:05 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >"Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
    >> external USB HD..
    >>
    >> What should he get
    >>
    >> Norton's Ghost 12
    >>
    >> Norton's Back & Restore
    >>
    >> Macaronis
    >>

    >> Or Paragon
    >>
    >> From memory some of these will backup XP OS files on the fly..
    >>
    >> What is the easiest to use and the most reliable.
    >>

    >> Must not run in DOS mode..
    >>

    >> These was a article about this some time back but I can't seem to find
    >> it..
    >>

    >Greg
    >
    >I have used Acronis TI thru to version 8 personal (or SE or whatever the
    >'lite' version is)
    >Successfully ran from XP and created boot disk & image disk.
    >
    >Never used it to restore a corrupted/dead hard drive, but some practice runs
    >wouldn't restore with an earlier version but versions 7 & 8 worked just
    >fine.
    >
    >I would comment that while image backups can be fine for a speedy recovery
    >of a downed system the negatives are:
    >The larger storage capacity required.
    >The time taken to do the image, which frequently runs into hours.
    >Productivity loss's because it pays not to have anything open while the
    >image is created = can't use PC
    >Image carries all the baggage flaws & detrius present at the last imaging.
    >
    >A more practical restore strategy is to Image the drive with all the apps &
    >settings the user wants as standard while the PC is know to be running
    >clean.
    >Store this 'clean' image then set up a backup that collects all the 'data'
    >that the user creates from this point on.
    >eg My Documents, emails, addressbook, Favourites, Accounting data etc.
    >
    >This means the daily (hourly, weakly, whatever) backup time and
    >inconvenience is greatly reduced so the backup is more likely to be done.
    >Restoration then is simply a case of using the 'clean' restore image and
    >copying the data back from the last data backup.
    >The advantages are:
    >The backup is a lot quicker
    >Backup is a lot smaller
    >If the last image is corrupt at least the data is safe and can be restored
    >once a normal OS/drivers/apps installation has been done.
    >
    >As a bonus this strategy forces the user to know just what data is important
    >and where it is, something a lot of users complain they're 'to busy' to do.
    >If they're to busy to know where there data is then for sure they are to
    >busy to wait while an hour long 'image' is created.
    >
    >Best
    >Paul.

    Thanks for your thoughts into this.

    Yes I was thinking about this as well but it for some one that is very awkward when using a PC, so
    also must be simple..

    One of these programs I listed stated that it can do this in the background but that must only be
    user data files I think...

    Windows from memory is not on a Big partition and he has a 320g Freeagent USB drive.

    But problem is that his Data is all over the place on 2 HD..

    Greg House, Aug 10, 2007
  14. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:06:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >
    >> A friend needs to backup XP systems files...

    >Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
    >agreement
    ><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$>.

    Not here it isn't..

    Greg House, Aug 10, 2007
  15. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:50:15 +1200, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:
    >> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
    >> external USB HD..

    >http://www.megaleecher.net/Free_Acronis_True_Image

    This is a Total Joke...

    Greg House, Aug 10, 2007
  16. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:25:45 +1200
    Greg House < wrote:

> [...]

    > >As a bonus this strategy forces the user to know just what data is
    > >important and where it is, something a lot of users complain they're
    > >'to busy' to do. If they're to busy to know where there data is then
    > >for sure they are to busy to wait while an hour long 'image' is
    > >created.
    > >
    > >Best
    > >Paul.
    > >

    > Thanks for your thoughts into this.
    >
    > Yes I was thinking about this as well but it for some one that is
    > very awkward when using a PC, so also must be simple..
    >
    > One of these programs I listed stated that it can do this in the
    > background but that must only be user data files I think...
    >
    > Windows from memory is not on a Big partition and he has a 320g
    > Freeagent USB drive.
    >

    > But problem is that his Data is all over the place on 2 HD..

    Hi
    This may be an overkill, but what about adding an additional drive
    and then running a RAID 1 mirror. The other option would be an external
    NAS some of which come with backup software.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm J Lewis, Aug 10, 2007
  17. In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:06:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Greg House
    >>< wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend needs to backup XP systems files...

    >>Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
    >>agreement
    >><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$>.

    > Not here it isn't..

    You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 11, 2007
  18. Greg House

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Greg House
    > < wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:06:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
    >>> agreement
    >>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$>.

    >> Not here it isn't..

    > You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

    Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
    agreement. Once again you appear to be wanking on about something you
    completely fail to understand.

    EMB, Aug 11, 2007
  19. In message <>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, Greg House
    >> < wrote:

    >>> Not here it isn't..

    >> You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

    > Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
    > agreement.

    Everyone but me seems to _think_ they have understood the licence agreement.
    But when you read the actual words, they don't agree with what everyone
    else but me keeps insisting they should be saying.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 11, 2007
  20. Greg House

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:34:27 +1200
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <>, EMB wrote:
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > >> You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

    > > Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
    > > agreement.

    > Everyone but me seems to _think_ they have understood the licence
    > agreement. But when you read the actual words, they don't agree with
    > what everyone else but me keeps insisting they should be saying.

    Hi
    But what about section 1.5? Besides, I would be more interested in the
    fact that now quad devices are about, you can't run XP on them.... EULA
    states no more than 2 processors used at any one time

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm, Aug 11, 2007