    If I set it to use "free", what happens next time I put the same tape in the
    drive. It will now not be "free".

    Thanks
    learner, May 24, 2004

  2. learner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "learner" <> wrote in
    news:4busc.9602$:

    > I would imagine that the backup should use whatever tape I care to put
    > into the drive regardless of name but this doesnt seem to be the case.
    >
    > If I set it to use "free", what happens next time I put the same tape
    > in the drive. It will now not be "free".
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't know about a good web site that covers this stuff but it is most
    likely documented on Microsoft's site somewhere. XP's Backup makes a
    catalog of the files. If you look in the search tool in XP under advanced
    options is the "Search Tape Backup" option. Try googleing for "XP
    unattended backup" It brings up a couple of good pages right at the top.
    Looks like you need to use "Unmanaged Method"
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 25, 2004

  3. learner

    learner Guest

    Ahaa,,

    Had a play last night with the /um and it looks promising.

    Thanks Dave.

    learner, May 25, 2004