    pci slots, then the new driver installed

    this can't be done because xp automatically installs the modem as a standard
    56k modem when the computer is turned on

    effi, Jan 3, 2005

  2. effi

    Thor Guest

    "effi" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > can it be turned off, so when the computer is turned on with a new piece
    > of hardware in it, modem in this case, xp doesn't automatically install
    > it?
    >
    > trying to install an internal not so smart modem, when the computer is
    > turned on, xp installs it automatically, if the driver is then removed and
    > the smart modem driver installed, it doesn't work though it says installed
    > and working properly
    >
    > information from not so smart link .com seems to say the old driver must
    > be removed, the computer turned off and unplugged so no power is running
    > to the pci slots, then the new driver installed
    >
    > this can't be done because xp automatically installs the modem as a
    > standard 56k modem when the computer is turned on

    basically, in cases like this, where windows wants to use it's own driver
    first, instead of asking you to install one upon detection, and using the
    driver update wizard does not result in a proper driver installation, you
    need to go to the windows\inf folder (have your hidden files visible) and
    locate the .INF file that windows is using to identify that device, and
    delete it, or at least move it to a different folder so it can't locate it
    during the device detection phase. Then remove the device's entry in the
    device manager, reboot, and then windows should request a driver for the
    device instead of installing one automatically. Since there are bound to be
    many modem driver .INF files in the inf folder, it is important to locate
    the proper one. This can be difficult however and you may need to open
    several inf files in notepad to see what models they cover before you find
    the right one. I usually try to find some identifiable description string
    that matches the device name windows gives the modem, because that name will
    be in one of the inf files. Or, you could go the hamfisted route, and remove
    all inf files pertaining to modems. I highly recommend that you merely move
    them to a temporary folder. That way you can move them back in the event of
    a problem. Good luck.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2005