    such as Windows 7' "XP Mode", that process isn't necessarily
    straightforward.

    <http://apcmag.com/xp-apps-not-happy-on-windows-7.htm>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Feb 23, 11:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >     Thinking of shifting your business PCs from XP to Windows 7? You're
    >     likely to be in for a world of pain.
    >
    >     While Forrester stressed that the results were preliminary and only
    >     drawn from a small sample, the figure highlights one of the challenges
    >     Microsoft will have in pushing Windows 7 to a wider user base.
    >
    >     While some of these transition issues can be resolved by using options
    >     such as Windows 7' "XP Mode", that process isn't necessarily
    >     straightforward.
    >
    > <http://apcmag.com/xp-apps-not-happy-on-windows-7.htm>

    We have certainly experienced some issues with older version of apps
    written to run upon XP, however it has not been a substantial issue.
    Simon, Feb 23, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-02-23, Simon <> wrote:
    > On Feb 23, 11:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>     Thinking of shifting your business PCs from XP to Windows 7? You're
    >>     likely to be in for a world of pain.
    >>
    >>     While Forrester stressed that the results were preliminary and only
    >>     drawn from a small sample, the figure highlights one of the challenges
    >>     Microsoft will have in pushing Windows 7 to a wider user base.
    >>
    >>     While some of these transition issues can be resolved by using options
    >>     such as Windows 7' "XP Mode", that process isn't necessarily
    >>     straightforward.
    >>
    >> <http://apcmag.com/xp-apps-not-happy-on-windows-7.htm>

    > We have certainly experienced some issues with older version of apps
    > written to run upon XP, however it has not been a substantial issue.

    Okay people.

    Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of Linux?

    No not a troll question. I am trying to be balanced here. In the world of
    silicon chips, read PC's both the hardware and the software advances. The
    New and the Improved replace the old.

    So an old pgm does not work with the latest OS. Well my answer is stick with
    the OS which allows you to run the pgm you want to run.

    On the Linux front, the KDE developers went version 4.0 Users went *&^%$#.
    Now at version 4.4, the users are saying well yes! to maybe.

    No pain no gain. Vista was the pain, 7 of Windows, seems to be the gain OS
    wise.

    The question again, most of you will have forgotten it ;-)

    Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of Linux?
    Gordon, Feb 24, 2010
  4. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of
    > Linux?

    For open-source ones, almost certainly yes. But then, why bother with the
    old version when you can just as easily download a newer one?

    For proprietary ones, it can be troublesome sometimes (*cough* MATLAB
    *cough*), but often doable.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 24, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Malcolm Guest

    On 24 Feb 2010 05:01:18 GMT
    Gordon <> wrote:

    > Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of
    > Linux?
    > The question again, most of you will have forgotten it ;-)
    >
    > Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of
    > Linux?

    Hi
    If necessary, yes. I packaged up regex coach for a user, just had to
    add the old libraries. But with some fluffing around it can be....
    http://weitz.de/regex-coach/

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-default
    Malcolm, Feb 24, 2010