    XP but it does read it for Knoppix. Any idea what I can do?

    I am kind of stuck on these, pls advise, thanks people
    , Apr 13, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > I have an external laptop speaker and hook it into the headphone jack,
    > BUT sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes when I reboot the XP, no
    > clue whatsoever, very very strength. Must be something in XP. I check
    > the control panel / Sounds and Audio device, play and change a bit few
    > options but did not help, very frustratating, please advise if you
    > have some clue that what can distract it ? Also my speaker icon does
    > not show up in XP task bar, how can I make it show up? XP?

    Does it work with the mentioned knoppix cd?
    Do you have question/exclamation marks in device manager, or hdaudio
    (realtek, intel) driver installed in wrong order?

    > Second problem :
    >
    > I have another laptop, I want to do a fresh clean install of XP, I
    > drop the partition by booting from Linux Knoppix and put the Win XP cd
    > in it and now it does not read the XP CD, in BIOS I said check the CD/
    > DVD first for OS but still stop right there and say it can not find
    > the boot CD. It seems that the laptop does not read the CD dtrive for
    > XP but it does read it for Knoppix. Any idea what I can do?
    >
    > I am kind of stuck on these, pls advise, thanks people

    You may have a flakey non-bootable or upgrade-version windows cd.
    Take the chance and install your knoppix or (k)ubuntu on that laptop :)
    Walter Mautner, Apr 14, 2007