    but don;t know what.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks Gavin

    =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=, Jan 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Malke Guest

    Gavin wrote:

    > I have just bought a 3com OfficeConnect wireless 11g firewall modem
    > router with a USB adapter
    > http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=395K
    >
    > Using my laptop with Windows XP SP2 (newly rebuilt and fully patched
    > by windows update) I can connect using WEP 128bit but whenever I try
    > the WPA-PSK TKIP it never connects it gets stuck with 'aquiring
    > network address'. I have tried using my works Windows 2000 SP4 laptop
    > and that connected straight away using WPA, so I'm sure I'm missing
    > something on the XP machine but don;t know what.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks Gavin

    Perhaps your wireless adapter on the laptop doesn't support WPA. Check
    with the laptop mfr. There may be a firmware update.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jan 31, 2006

  3. the wireless adapter is a USB stick which came with the router, and it does
    suport WPA and does work on the Windows 2000 machine just not the XP machine.

    Gavin

    =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=, Jan 31, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Malke Guest

    Gavin wrote:

    > the wireless adapter is a USB stick which came with the router, and it
    > does suport WPA and does work on the Windows 2000 machine just not the
    > XP machine.
    >
    > Gavin

    Then I'm sorry but I don't know. I'm sure someone who knows about
    wireless usb devices will come along, or you could check with the
    device mftr.'s tech support.

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 31, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Liam Guest

    "Gavin" <> wrote in message
    >I have just bought a 3com OfficeConnect wireless 11g firewall modem router
    > with a USB adapter
    > http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=395K
    >
    > Using my laptop with Windows XP SP2 (newly rebuilt and fully patched by
    > windows update) I can connect using WEP 128bit but whenever I try the
    > WPA-PSK
    > TKIP it never connects it gets stuck with 'aquiring network address'.
    > I have tried using my works Windows 2000 SP4 laptop and that connected
    > straight away using WPA, so I'm sure I'm missing something on the XP
    > machine
    > but don;t know what.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks Gavin

    Gavin,

    Send back the 3Com kit and get something else that actually works. The
    problem is the router, not the USB adapter. You are experiencing the well
    known and documented problems for which 3Com consumer grade wireless routers
    are notorious. They can sometimes support a single wireless client but never
    reliably, and rarely more than one.

    My recommendation is Draytek, which I bought when I gave up on the 3Com.
    Expensive but actually does what it is supposed to do.

    Good luck,

    Liam

    Liam, Jan 31, 2006
  6. "Liam" wrote:

    > "Gavin" <> wrote in message
    > >I have just bought a 3com OfficeConnect wireless 11g firewall modem router
    > > with a USB adapter
    > > http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=395K
    > >
    > > Using my laptop with Windows XP SP2 (newly rebuilt and fully patched by
    > > windows update) I can connect using WEP 128bit but whenever I try the
    > > WPA-PSK
    > > TKIP it never connects it gets stuck with 'aquiring network address'.
    > > I have tried using my works Windows 2000 SP4 laptop and that connected
    > > straight away using WPA, so I'm sure I'm missing something on the XP
    > > machine
    > > but don;t know what.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > > Thanks Gavin

    > Gavin,
    >
    > Send back the 3Com kit and get something else that actually works. The
    > problem is the router, not the USB adapter. You are experiencing the well
    > known and documented problems for which 3Com consumer grade wireless routers
    > are notorious. They can sometimes support a single wireless client but never
    > reliably, and rarely more than one.
    >
    > My recommendation is Draytek, which I bought when I gave up on the 3Com.
    > Expensive but actually does what it is supposed to do.
    >

    > Good luck,
    >
    > Liam

    I got a Netgear router with USB adapter and I get the same error. Windows XP
    Pro refuses to let the WPA-PSK work. Looking a other forums it appears to be
    a common problem with Windows XP, but I can't find a solution.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=, Feb 6, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Liam Guest

    Liam, Feb 7, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Liam Guest

    "Gavin" <> wrote in message

    > I got a Netgear router with USB adapter and I get the same error. Windows
    > XP
    > Pro refuses to let the WPA-PSK work. Looking a other forums it appears to
    > be
    > a common problem with Windows XP, but I can't find a solution.

    Are you using SP2? There were some pre-SP2 WPA issues although I never had
    any problems. Also, use Wireless Zero Configuration and not the utility that
    came with the USB device.

    Liam, Feb 7, 2006
  9. "Liam" wrote:

    > "Gavin" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > I got a Netgear router with USB adapter and I get the same error. Windows
    > > XP
    > > Pro refuses to let the WPA-PSK work. Looking a other forums it appears to
    > > be
    > > a common problem with Windows XP, but I can't find a solution.

    > Are you using SP2? There were some pre-SP2 WPA issues although I never had
    > any problems. Also, use Wireless Zero Configuration and not the utility that
    > came with the USB device.

    I am using Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 with all patches from
    windows.update.
    I have recently reloaded the machine
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    Apply Service Pack 2
    Apply all patches from windows.update

    I am using the WZC and not the 3com util.
    also updated the firmware on the router to the latest and downloaded thr
    latest drivers from thr USB adapter (the ones on the CD appeared to be about
    2 years old even though its new????)

    =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=, Feb 7, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Liam Guest

    "Gavin" <> wrote in message

    > I am using Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 with all patches from
    > windows.update.
    > I have recently reloaded the machine
    > Windows XP Pro SP1
    > Apply Service Pack 2
    > Apply all patches from windows.update
    >
    > I am using the WZC and not the 3com util.
    > also updated the firmware on the router to the latest and downloaded thr
    > latest drivers from thr USB adapter (the ones on the CD appeared to be
    > about
    > 2 years old even though its new????)

    Are you broadcasting the SSID? If it is hidden it won't help. Apart from
    that I am not sure what the problem could be, but double check everything
    such as MAC filtering and password accuracy. Also completely uninstall the
    manufacturers utility in case that causes an issue when you are using WZC. I
    have never had any WPA specific problems with any of the devices I have used
    (the 3Com was just sh!te whatever I tried) and it seems strange you have the
    same issue with the different manufacturers' equipment.

    Liam, Feb 14, 2006
  11. "Liam" wrote:

    > "Gavin" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I am using Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 with all patches from
    > > windows.update.
    > > I have recently reloaded the machine
    > > Windows XP Pro SP1
    > > Apply Service Pack 2
    > > Apply all patches from windows.update
    > >
    > > I am using the WZC and not the 3com util.
    > > also updated the firmware on the router to the latest and downloaded thr
    > > latest drivers from thr USB adapter (the ones on the CD appeared to be
    > > about
    > > 2 years old even though its new????)

    > Are you broadcasting the SSID? If it is hidden it won't help. Apart from
    > that I am not sure what the problem could be, but double check everything
    > such as MAC filtering and password accuracy. Also completely uninstall the
    > manufacturers utility in case that causes an issue when you are using WZC. I
    > have never had any WPA specific problems with any of the devices I have used
    > (the 3Com was just sh!te whatever I tried) and it seems strange you have the
    > same issue with the different manufacturers' equipment.

    I've been doing some more testing.
    (at the moment I'm using MAC filter and WEP 128bit as these work)
    using another PC (Win2000) set thr router to using WPA.
    on the XP machine found the network and set the key.
    It wouldn't conect just got stuck on the 'aquiring network address'
    rebooted the XP machine and watched the router connections on the win2000
    machine.
    as the XP machine booted the router gave it a IP but the XP machine doesn'y
    show it and sits there trying to get one. ????

    Also I am using the WZC and have only loaded the drivers for the USB adapter
    NOT the manufacturers utility, and the SSID is not hidden.

    There has got to be something somewhere doing something but I have no idea
    what to try next. :(

    Gavin

    =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=, Mar 8, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Mel Would Guest

    > I've been doing some more testing.
    > (at the moment I'm using MAC filter and WEP 128bit as these work)
    > using another PC (Win2000) set thr router to using WPA.
    > on the XP machine found the network and set the key.
    > It wouldn't conect just got stuck on the 'aquiring network address'
    > rebooted the XP machine and watched the router connections on the win2000
    > machine.
    > as the XP machine booted the router gave it a IP but the XP machine doesn'y
    > show it and sits there trying to get one. ????
    >
    > Also I am using the WZC and have only loaded the drivers for the USB adapter
    > NOT the manufacturers utility, and the SSID is not hidden.
    >
    > There has got to be something somewhere doing something but I have no idea
    > what to try next. :(
    >
    > Gavin

    I recently tried switching from WEP over to WPA-PSK TKIP. Got nothing
    but constant disconnects. Real flakey. Gone back to WEP and its rock solid.

    Mel Would, Mar 9, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Guest

    Good Luck Man. Had this problem on many different notebooks and pda's
    as well. Found many threads from people having the same problem. After
    days of diag I just gave up and went back to WEP.

    Mel Would wrote:

    > > I've been doing some more testing.
    > > (at the moment I'm using MAC filter and WEP 128bit as these work)
    > > using another PC (Win2000) set thr router to using WPA.
    > > on the XP machine found the network and set the key.
    > > It wouldn't conect just got stuck on the 'aquiring network address'
    > > rebooted the XP machine and watched the router connections on the win2000
    > > machine.
    > > as the XP machine booted the router gave it a IP but the XP machine doesn'y
    > > show it and sits there trying to get one. ????
    > >
    > > Also I am using the WZC and have only loaded the drivers for the USB adapter
    > > NOT the manufacturers utility, and the SSID is not hidden.
    > >
    > > There has got to be something somewhere doing something but I have no idea
    > > what to try next. :(
    > >
    > > Gavin

    > I recently tried switching from WEP over to WPA-PSK TKIP. Got nothing
    > but constant disconnects. Real flakey. Gone back to WEP and its rock solid.

    , Mar 9, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

    Latro_

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Possible Solution

    I know this is an old thread, i was searching for a solution as i was getting the same waiting for address for ages.

    I found a sort of work around myself. If you just assgn your xp machine it's own IP and set the default gateway to that of the router it should bypass this step.

    So right click your wireless connection in network places, goto status, then properties.

    Scroll down to TCP/IP, goto properties on that.

    Next screen check 'User the following IP address' Pick one that your router allows or has been setup for on DHCP. In my case this was 192.168.0.3, subnet mask should take care of its self.

    Set the Default gateway to your router's ip, In my case 192.168.0.1.

    For DNS set the preferred DNS server as the router's ip, e.g. again in my case 192.168.0.1.

    Now try connecting to the router with WPA/PSK running, enter your pass key in carefully and it should work.

    This is by no means a nice or clean fix but it got my wireless up and running. I only rally wanted to test the router's wireless for my Asus eee coming tommorow, thats linux so I should be fine lol :)

    Latro_, Jan 3, 2008