XP and only one wireless access point

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBE?=, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. I’m looking help for a way to have XP only connect to my wireless access point.

    I do not want the user to have the ability to see other available wireless
    networks and more importantly I don’t want them to have the ability to
    connect to wireless networks other than the one I configured XP with.

    Scenerio: The computers are part of the management offices of apartment
    complexes. We will have 1 wireless router and 3-5 computers per location(No
    servers or Active Directories in use anywhere). Being that these are
    apartments, there are usually quite a few open access points within reach of
    the leasing office. And somehow my users are getting associated to these
    ‘other’ wireless networks. My biggest support issues right now are them
    calling up saying they cannot print anymore to a printer in the office and I
    find out they are connected to ‘linksys’ instead of the one they are suppose
    to be. I simply have them re-connect to the office WIFI and remove the rogue
    AP from the preferred list to get them back on their network.

    For the record, the ‘Automatically connect to non-preferred networks’ is not
    checked.

    What I’ve tried: If I stop the WZC service after the computer boots up, that
    prevents the ‘view available’ functionality, which is good and allows for
    continued use on their wireless network, but if I disable the service
    completely, wireless networking does not work at all upon reboot.

    How can I make XP only work with just one access point?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBE?=, Jul 20, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBE?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Switch off Windows Zero Configuration and try the original utility that came
    with the Wireless card. Some of the utilities are very simple and do not
    show any thing but your own Network.
    In addition if you use (and you should) the wireless security (encryption)
    the computers would not be able to connect to other Networks.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 21, 2006