    responsible (wasn't there something about built in packet writing?) and
    how to turn it off?

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 30, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner

    Impossible Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Oh vey, WinXP is trying to get involved where it is not wanted.
    >
    > I use Nero 6 to write to multisession CDs. Mostly use drag and drop
    > put updated files into Nero's 'add' file requester. Next time I put
    > writable disk into the burner, WinXP comes up with all these ~.tmp
    > files
    > that it reckons are waiting to be burned. (hey, sorry, the train has
    > left the station - that was 5 days ago and they WERE written, thanks
    > all
    > the same)
    >
    > Does anybody recognize this, know what part of XP is actually
    > responsible (wasn't there something about built in packet writing?)
    > and
    > how to turn it off?

    This should work. Run "services.msc" and disable "IMAPI CD-Burning Com
    Service". You may need to log off for this to take effect -- not sure
    about that.

    Impossible, Apr 30, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 02:03:20 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Oh vey, WinXP is trying to get involved where it is not wanted.
    >
    > I use Nero 6 to write to multisession CDs. Mostly use drag and drop to
    > put updated files into Nero's 'add' file requester. Next time I put a
    > writable disk into the burner, WinXP comes up with all these ~.tmp files
    > that it reckons are waiting to be burned. (hey, sorry, the train has
    > left the station - that was 5 days ago and they WERE written, thanks all
    > the same)
    >
    > Does anybody recognize this, know what part of XP is actually
    > responsible (wasn't there something about built in packet writing?) and
    > how to turn it off?

    If you right-click on the drive from windows explorer, pick properties, one
    of the tabs will have functions for setting burning speed, etc. I think you
    can turn it off in there as well.

    There is also a directory (usually on the c: drive or where ever you
    installed windows) that holds the files waiting to be written. You could
    empty that, or you could simply put a blank cd in the drive, tell windows
    to open a window to it when it asks, and from there delete the files
    waiting to be written.

    Sometimes windows gets confused when using it's built in burning fuctions,
    when it THINKS there was an error writing to the cd even if it did in fact
    go ok. It'll then "help" you by automatically keeping those files instead
    of erasing the temporary copies. It's supposed to ask first, but it's easy
    to click one too many times and flash past it.

    I think you can also tell windows to run nero as the automatic response to
    a writeable cd being put in, too. Use the window that pops up when you do
    so.

    --

    .... Brendan

    369 +(4752)- [X]

    <Beeth> Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already
    taken.
    <honx> well, you can stil get one from a strange country :p

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/05/2005 1:22:26 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 1, 2005