XP And LinkSys Firwalls Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Relatively new with this stuff, particularly with XP.

    Have (finally) gotten my Verizon DSL working, and also a LinkSys Router to
    talk to two PC's I have at home. Took me quite a while. Absolutely terrified
    of lousing anything up now that it all works.

    Hence the following questions.

    I understand that XP has a built in "Firewall".
    Seems like a good thing, with all the viruses running around lately.

    a. Does it have to be Enabled ?

    b. Does it have to be Configured first ?

    c. And my main concern: if I do (a) and (b) above, is there "any" likely
    possibility that I would somehow mess up the Router working; e.g., would
    using the XP Firewall change or disable any Ports, other configurations,
    etc. ?

    d. Do the LinkSys wireless routers have an "automatic-always enabled"
    Firewall? Have heard that this is so.
    Or, does it have to be enabled ?

    Would I want both the XP AND the linkSys Firewalls Enabled ?

    Might as well also ask: I'm now using norton Anti-Virus. Does this Firewall
    really add much to my protection ? Worth doing ?

    Much thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Aug 24, 2003