    to XP

    Cheers

    John
    John Hornblow, Aug 7, 2003

  2. John Hornblow

    cowboyz Guest

    "John Hornblow" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ive purchased a copy of XP pro and was wondering how it handled
    > changes in hardware.
    > With win98 I could drop in a new board and processor and it would
    > handle it well, just updating its drivers etc and a few reboots.
    > Is XP as flexable in this area?
    > Has anyone upgraded the board & CPU in their machine running XP.
    > I was wondering if I should bring my upgrade forward before upgrading
    > to XP
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    I changed board from a KT333 to a KT400 (not a big change) and video card
    from G2 to G4 (again not a big change) and CPU from AMD 1700 to AMD2100
    (another not big change) and it was all good about detecting new hardware
    and resetting the appropriate drivers to what they should be. No reboots
    required.

    However, I wondered about this so I took my hard drive and plugged it into a
    P4 on a intel 850G board and it blue screened on startup. Put the hard
    drive back in my machine and all was good.

    Just my experience. take what you want from it.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Aug 7, 2003

  3. John Hornblow

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, John Hornblow wrote...
    > Ive purchased a copy of XP pro and was wondering how it handled
    > changes in hardware.

    Did you buy oem xp pro or full copy?
    colinco, Aug 7, 2003
  4. "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > I changed board from a KT333 to a KT400 (not a big change) and video card
    > from G2 to G4 (again not a big change) and CPU from AMD 1700 to AMD2100
    > (another not big change) and it was all good about detecting new hardware
    > and resetting the appropriate drivers to what they should be. No reboots
    > required.
    >
    > However, I wondered about this so I took my hard drive and plugged it into

    > P4 on a intel 850G board and it blue screened on startup. Put the hard
    > drive back in my machine and all was good.

    One trick you could've used is done run Windows setup again on your original
    machine, and upgrade overtop of your existing installation. When machine
    reboots, turn off. Take out HDD and put in new machine and be up and
    running with the same config pretty quickily
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 7, 2003
  5. John Hornblow

    cowboyz Guest

    "Vogan" <> wrote in message
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > > However, I wondered about this so I took my hard drive and plugged it

    into
    > > P4 on a intel 850G board and it blue screened on startup. Put the hard
    > > drive back in my machine and all was good.
    > >
    > > Just my experience. take what you want from it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    > >

    > It probably blue-screened due the the massive change in hardware - going
    > from an AMD based system to an Intel based system, all the drivers would
    > have been totally wrong. A fairer test would have been to swap it into
    > another AMD system running the same hardware.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Vaughan

    The bit you snipped out showed it worked fine cahnging from a KT333 board to
    a KT400 board with other changes to CPU and Video.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Aug 9, 2003
  6. On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:42:58 +1200, "cowboyz" <>
    wrote:

    >The bit you snipped out showed it worked fine cahnging from a KT333 board to
    >a KT400 board with other changes to CPU and Video.
    >
    >--
    >"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    Cheers guys, just wanted to check befoer the install, Id head some
    thing in the early days you couldnt change H/W without a new key or
    some such...
    John Hornblow, Aug 9, 2003
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:42:58 +1200, "cowboyz" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >The bit you snipped out showed it worked fine cahnging from a KT333 board to
    > >a KT400 board with other changes to CPU and Video.
    > >
    > >--
    > >"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    > >

    > Cheers guys, just wanted to check befoer the install, Id head some
    > thing in the early days you couldnt change H/W without a new key or
    > some such...

    Yes, if you change too much you may have to go through the activation
    process again. There is a program you can use if you don't want to do
    that ... ;-)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 9, 2003
  8. "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > > >The bit you snipped out showed it worked fine cahnging from a KT333

    board to
    > > >a KT400 board with other changes to CPU and Video.
    > > >
    > > >--
    > > >"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    > > >

    > > Cheers guys, just wanted to check befoer the install, Id head some
    > > thing in the early days you couldnt change H/W without a new key or
    > > some such...

    > Yes, if you change too much you may have to go through the activation

    You're allowed to change heaps of hardware before activation kicks in, and
    if it does kick in most times you can just do it automatically over the net.

    > process again. There is a program you can use if you don't want to do
    > that ... ;-)

    Cool, where do I find it please?
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 9, 2003
  9. In article <4Q2Za.110568$>,
    nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz says...

    > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Cool, where do I find it please?

    It's hard to find. Keywords are "Sad Team" and "Blue List"
    the archive contains a program that will activate XP in safe mode
    (authored by 'sad team', a bunch of Russians), and a key generator
    (authored by 'blue list') which might come in useful if you have fallen
    foul of MS having killed a valid key in the SP if it's been used
    illegally - which is known to have happened. Unless, of course, you want
    to enter into annoying and aggravating negotiations with MS.

    [aside rant:
    Which I for one don't want to, ever again: I remember only too well when
    I bought an upgrade version of one of Win98, it stuffed up interrupts on
    the machine I was working on, I rang them and was told I would get no
    tech support over the telephone until I had registered by mail (email
    wasn't working on the fecking machine for said reasons) so I would have
    to wait a week before they would even talk to me ... huh!]

    The archive is around 760 Kb. I recently spotted it on the Kazaa network
    after I replied to the original post in this thread.

    Mythology has it that Sad Team approcached MS with their exploit even
    before XP was publically relased in the final version and were studiously
    ignored - hence they published it. Maybe yes, maybe no ...
    I have also read on a forum somewhere that it no longer works after SP 1
    has been installed, or that SP 1 won't work with it. YMMV.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Aug 10, 2003
  10. John Hornblow

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, Peter
    Huebner wrote...
    > Unless, of course, you want
    > to enter into annoying and aggravating negotiations with MS.
    >
    > [aside rant:
    > Which I for one don't want to, ever again:

    You do realise that you are coming very close to dealing with MS when you
    deal with Nathan.
    colinco, Aug 10, 2003
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>, Peter
    > Huebner wrote...
    > > Unless, of course, you want
    > > to enter into annoying and aggravating negotiations with MS.
    > >
    > > [aside rant:
    > > Which I for one don't want to, ever again:
    > >

    > You do realise that you are coming very close to dealing with MS when you
    > deal with Nathan.

    Yupp :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 11, 2003