XP and boot drive requirements.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Crash, Dec 25, 2005.

  1. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Greetings all,

    I have installed XP onto an elderly machine with two IDE drives installed. The
    two drives are 4 gigs and 80 gigs with the 4 gig drive being about 8 years old,
    the 80 gig drive being about 4 years old.

    In a previous thread Enkidu suggested installing XP on the 80 gig drive as it
    was likely to be much faster than the older drive. However setup refused to do
    this (I selected the unallocated space and pressed enter when asked where XP was
    to be installed to). However I had to install to a partition on the old drive
    to get the install to run,

    I am wondering why this is. I vaguely recall setting master/slave switches on
    the new drive when installing it years ago - does windows require the boot
    partition to be on a master disk? If so, is it just a case of swapping
    master/sale settings on the drives or is there more to it than this?

    Seasons greetings to all,

    Crash.
    Crash, Dec 25, 2005

  2. Crash

    Dogboy Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have installed XP onto an elderly machine with two IDE drives
    > installed. The two drives are 4 gigs and 80 gigs with the 4 gig drive
    > being about 8 years old, the 80 gig drive being about 4 years old.
    >
    > In a previous thread Enkidu suggested installing XP on the 80 gig drive
    > as it was likely to be much faster than the older drive. However setup
    > refused to do this (I selected the unallocated space and pressed enter
    > when asked where XP was to be installed to). However I had to install
    > to a partition on the old drive to get the install to run,
    >
    > I am wondering why this is. I vaguely recall setting master/slave
    > switches on the new drive when installing it years ago - does windows
    > require the boot partition to be on a master disk? If so, is it just a
    > case of swapping master/sale settings on the drives or is there more to
    > it than this?
    >
    > Seasons greetings to all,
    >
    > Crash.

    Swapping the master/slave order would probably work, but for the best
    performance I would move the old 4 gig drive to the secondary IDE
    Channel. Giving the 80 gig its own IDE channel would be best for speed.

    Usually there is a CD-ROM on the secondary channel as well so you will
    have to setup the master/slave arrangement on the secondary IDE channel.

    --
    Dogboy
    Dogboy, Dec 25, 2005

  3. Crash

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dogboy wrote:
    > Crash wrote:
    >> Greetings all,
    >>
    >> I have installed XP onto an elderly machine with two IDE drives
    >> installed. The two drives are 4 gigs and 80 gigs with the 4 gig
    >> drive being about 8 years old, the 80 gig drive being about 4 years
    >> old. In a previous thread Enkidu suggested installing XP on the 80 gig
    >> drive as it was likely to be much faster than the older drive. However
    >> setup refused to do this (I selected the unallocated space
    >> and pressed enter when asked where XP was to be installed to). However I
    >> had to install to a partition on the old drive to get the
    >> install to run, I am wondering why this is. I vaguely recall setting
    >> master/slave
    >> switches on the new drive when installing it years ago - does windows
    >> require the boot partition to be on a master disk? If so, is it
    >> just a case of swapping master/sale settings on the drives or is
    >> there more to it than this?
    >>
    >> Seasons greetings to all,
    >>
    >> Crash.

    > Swapping the master/slave order would probably work, but for the best
    > performance I would move the old 4 gig drive to the secondary IDE
    > Channel. Giving the 80 gig its own IDE channel would be best for
    > speed.
    > Usually there is a CD-ROM on the secondary channel as well so you will
    > have to setup the master/slave arrangement on the secondary IDE
    > channel.

    Or at least set the 80 as master and leave the 4 out until after
    installation. It doesn't matter where you put the 4, whether you slave it on
    the primary or secondary. The only time it could conceivably cause the 80 to
    slow down is if they're both on the same channel and being accessed at the
    same time.

    BTW, I agree whole-heartedly about using the 80 as the boot drive. I'd
    allocate a 5GB partition for Windows, a 2GB for swapfile (formatted FAT32
    for speed), a 10GB for programs and the rest for data. In that order. Only
    the pagefile partition formatted FAT32, the rest NTFS. The beauty of having
    a 5GB partition for Windows and a seperate partition for programs is that
    you can periodically back up the C: drive to a single DVD-R (if/when you
    have the drive and software. e.g. Norton Ghost, the only Symantec product I
    use, only because I have it and can't afford Acornis True Image). You could
    even back it up periodically to the 4GB. Having an image of the drive saves
    reinstalls quite often if you play a bit.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2005