    CD (say the one I bought and used on my own installation)? I don't want to
    tell him to go out and buy another copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.

    Many thanks.
    Philip SC, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Philip SC

    Rajesh Guest

    You can get the only media. You can tell them lost the media

    Thanks

    "Philip SC" <> wrote in message
    > A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine, and has
    > genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts of

    derision).

    > He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got the
    > machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft with that
    > activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that) and a different

    XP

    Rajesh, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Philip SC wrote:

    > A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine,
    > and has genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts
    > of derision).
    >
    > He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got
    > the machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft
    > with that activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that)
    > and a different XP CD (say the one I bought and used on my own
    > installation)? I don't want to tell him to go out and buy another
    > copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    You can certainly use your XP CD with his product key as long as it's
    the same edition AFAIK

    --
    Google is your Friend
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Philip SC

    Ed Guest

    "Philip SC" <> wrote in message
    > A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine, and has
    > genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts of

    derision).

    > He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got the
    > machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft with that
    > activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that) and a different

    XP
    > CD (say the one I bought and used on my own installation)? I don't want

    > tell him to go out and buy another copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    I ran into a similar issue with MS Office XP... I ordered several new PCs
    for my office and when attempting to activate Office I wasn't sure which CD
    Keys I had used and which I hadn't. If the activation failed I simply called
    Microsoft on the phone # listed during activation, and politely and honestly
    explained the situation. After a brief slap-on-the-wrist and a comment about
    keeping the media with the correct PC, they provided the unlock code. I've
    done this 2-3 times successfully.

    Good luck.
    Ed, Sep 15, 2003
  5. Philip SC

    Patrick Guest

    Philip SC wrote:
    > A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine,
    > and has genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts
    > of derision).
    >
    > He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got
    > the machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft
    > with that activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that)
    > and a different XP CD (say the one I bought and used on my own
    > installation)? I don't want to tell him to go out and buy another
    > copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Belarc Advisor gives what it calls a Software Licence, it has the form (on
    my OEM HE edition);
    #####-OEM-#######-##### where '#' is a numerical digit.
    This is *not* the number/code that would be needed to re-install/re-activate
    the OS

    The Product Activation Code (POA) is the number/code that you would get when
    you bought the OS(CD)
    The POA can be recovered from an installed system with a utility that can be
    obtained (free) at link below (also worth reading the page)..
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

    If the XP-CD that you have is exactly the same type (Retail/OEM Upgrade/Full
    Pro/Home) as your colleague then your CD would do the job, or make a copy
    (CD image).

    However
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246
    Patrick, Sep 15, 2003
  6. Philip SC

    Eddie Grant Guest

    "Patrick" <> wrote in message
    > Philip SC wrote:
    > > A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine,
    > > and has genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts
    > > of derision).
    > >
    > > He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got
    > > the machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft
    > > with that activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that)
    > > and a different XP CD (say the one I bought and used on my own
    > > installation)? I don't want to tell him to go out and buy another
    > > copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
    > >
    > > Many thanks.

    > Belarc Advisor gives what it calls a Software Licence, it has the form (on
    > my OEM HE edition);
    > #####-OEM-#######-##### where '#' is a numerical digit.
    > This is *not* the number/code that would be needed to

    re-install/re-activate
    > the OS

    Belarc also gives the Product ID which was used to install it
    originally.....
    Eddie Grant, Sep 15, 2003
  7. Philip SC

    Patrick Guest

    Eddie Grant wrote:
    > "Patrick" <> wrote in message
    >> Philip SC wrote:
    >>> A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine,
    >>> and has genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for
    >>> snorts of derision).
    >>>
    >>> He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got
    >>> the machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft
    >>> with that activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that)
    >>> and a different XP CD (say the one I bought and used on my own
    >>> installation)? I don't want to tell him to go out and buy another
    >>> copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.

    >> Belarc Advisor gives what it calls a Software Licence, it has the
    >> form (on my OEM HE edition);
    >> #####-OEM-#######-##### where '#' is a numerical digit.
    >> This is *not* the number/code that would be needed to
    >> re-install/re-activate the OS

    > Belarc also gives the Product ID which was used to install it
    > originally.....

    I may have used the wrong terms !
    The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of Authenticity' (COA)
    is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters of the form ;
    ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
    This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched the page
    for first three alphanumerics).
    Patrick, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Philip SC

    Philip SC Guest

    > >> Belarc Advisor gives what it calls a Software Licence, it has the
    > >> form (on my OEM HE edition);
    > >> #####-OEM-#######-##### where '#' is a numerical digit.
    > >> This is *not* the number/code that would be needed to
    > >> re-install/re-activate the OS

    > > Belarc also gives the Product ID which was used to install it
    > > originally.....

    > I may have used the wrong terms !
    > The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of Authenticity'

    (COA)
    > is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters of the form ;
    > ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
    > This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched the

    page
    > for first three alphanumerics).

    I think the version my colleague installed was a full copy of XP Pro (but
    I'm not 100% certain) and mine is and upgrade copy. My concern is that if
    even if we manage to extract the product key (and software license if
    applicable - I'm being deliberately loose with my terms!) and install using
    my copy of XP Pro, when it comes to activation he'll get stuck and more
    worryingly, so will my machine.
    Philip SC, Sep 15, 2003
  9. Philip SC

    Patrick Guest

    Philip SC wrote:

    >>> Belarc also gives the Product ID which was used to install it
    >>> originally.....

    >> I may have used the wrong terms !
    >> The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of
    >> Authenticity' (COA) is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters
    >> of the form ; ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
    >> This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched
    >> the page for first three alphanumerics).

    > I think the version my colleague installed was a full copy of XP Pro
    > (but I'm not 100% certain) and mine is and upgrade copy. My concern
    > is that if even if we manage to extract the product key (and software
    > license if applicable - I'm being deliberately loose with my terms!)
    > and install using my copy of XP Pro, when it comes to activation
    > he'll get stuck and more worryingly, so will my machine.

    The *important* thing is to keep *your* 'Product Key' *secret* (or to
    yourself anyway).
    Thiere would indeed be hell to pay if you tried to use the same 'Product
    Key' (5*5=25 digit code) on two different machines.

    If your colleague does have a full retail version then get on to MS (link
    given) to get a replacement CD for a nominal price (cost of CD etc.), they
    might want proof of purchase or the like.

    Apparently though, if colleagues XP-CD is an OEM (Original Equipment
    Manufacture) version,
    then it may well be that MS won't help.
    Would need to get a replacement CD from OEM (or an Image-Copy from someone
    else).

    Also it would be advisable to recover the 'Product Key' from the corrupt
    installation if possible and see that it matches the one he apparently has
    (keep all the numbers, but the recoverd 5*5=25 digit is the important one).

    Note that if you activate by phone then you would put your ProductKey
    (?????-?????-?????-?????-?????) into the machine,
    the machine would return you a number that you would read to MS,
    MS would then give you another number to enter in the machine,
    you'd enter it, then be activated, niether of the last two numbers is your
    'Product Key' and might well change if you reactivated.

    Sorry if this all seems a bit long-winded, but I do hope that it helps.
    Patrick, Sep 15, 2003
  10. dear Sir,

    Turf shit.

    Peter Ambrose, Sep 15, 2003
  11. Philip SC

    Ghostrider Guest

    Patrick wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    > I may have used the wrong terms !
    > The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of Authenticity' (COA)
    > is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters of the form ;
    > ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
    > This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched the page
    > for first three alphanumerics).

    Download Belarc Advisor 6.0 and install. This version will show the
    Product Key.
    Ghostrider, Sep 15, 2003
  12. Philip SC

    Patrick Guest

    Ghostrider wrote:
    > Patrick wrote:
    >
    > <<snipped>>
    >
    >> I may have used the wrong terms !
    >> The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of
    >> Authenticity' (COA) is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters
    >> of the form ; ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
    >> This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched
    >> the page for first three alphanumerics).

    > Download Belarc Advisor 6.0 and install. This version will show the
    > Product Key.

    Thanks Ghostrider (and apologies to other bloke that I near-as called a
    liar)
    Damned if you aren't right (nobody reminded *me* to update)
    I might have known the devil would be in the detail.

    The link I gave though,
    had the advantage of giveing explanation of matters (OEM version etc.,).
    Patrick, Sep 15, 2003
  13. Philip SC

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Philip SC" <> wrote:

    >A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine, and has
    >genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts of derision).
    >
    >He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got the
    >machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft with that
    >activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that) and a different XP
    >CD (say the one I bought and used on my own installation)? I don't want to
    >tell him to go out and buy another copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
    >
    >Many thanks.

    To get the Windows XP Product key see
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tips_fixes.htm

    If you have, or can borrow, a CD from the *same version* of Windows XP
    then that plus the original product key can be used for the reinstall.

    However it may possible to repair the corrupted install of XP without
    resorting to a reinstall. The recovery tools in Windows XP are pretty
    good.

    Can you provide some specific details of this corruption, including
    the symptoms that it displays, and also some information about just
    what caused it, or what might have caused it. Also how long ago did
    this corruption occur and has the computer been at all usable since
    then?

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --