    but I keep second drive for video capture and editing only, My internet
    stuff is on the other HDD, How can I deal with this please.(Hope I am not
    missing something obvious as a newbee )

    Brucey2, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Brucey2

    V W Wall Guest

    Brucey2 wrote:

    > I have added a second HDD to my system and now I am asked to activate it
    > but I keep second drive for video capture and editing only, My internet
    > stuff is on the other HDD, How can I deal with this please.(Hope I am not
    > missing something obvious as a newbee )

    For a good dissertation on Windows XP activation see:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

    If you want Microsoft's slant:

    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/default.asp

    There may be some clues here for avoiding future activation "triggers".

    Virg Wall
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced technology
    is indistinguishable from magic.

    Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

    V W Wall, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Brucey2

    Robert Baer Guest

    Brucey2 wrote:

    > I have added a second HDD to my system and now I am asked to activate it
    > but I keep second drive for video capture and editing only, My internet
    > stuff is on the other HDD, How can I deal with this please.(Hope I am not
    > missing something obvious as a newbee )

    That is the price you pay when you insist in using the latest and
    crappiest of M$ junk.
    Every time you change the HD configuration, you will have to call M$
    for re-activation, and at some point they might decide to take advantage
    of your pocketbook.
    That is why they added activation, to increase their profits!

    Toss XP, wipe the HD, and use Win2K.

    Robert Baer, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Brucey2

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:403B1559.88B6D9C2
    @earthlink.net:

    > That is why they added activation, to increase their profits!

    You clearly don't understand what activation is, or how it works.

    > Toss XP, wipe the HD, and use Win2K.

    So someone should throw out a perfectly good $200 operating system and
    install that perfectly good operating systems $200 older brother?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Brucey2

    Yep Guest

    "Brucey2" <> wrote in message news:<c1e2bq$sfj$>...
    > I have added a second HDD to my system and now I am asked to activate it
    > but I keep second drive for video capture and editing only, My internet
    > stuff is on the other HDD, How can I deal with this please.(Hope I am not
    > missing something obvious as a newbee )

    Hmmm. There must be something else going on here as installing one
    secondary drive will not cause the activation to kick in.

    Are you using this second drive just for storage? IE: Installed and
    formatted. Or did you try to install XP on this drive as a second boot
    device.

    Yep, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Brucey2

    Steve Guest

    It's not asking you to activate your second drive it's just telling you that
    your configuration has changed and that Windows does not recoginze that is
    is installed on the same system. This is not supposed to happen if you just
    add a HDD,RAM,CDROM,CPU etc. but sometimes Windows does screwy things.

    Just follow the instrauctions and re-activate it. If it won't let you just
    call the 800 number and they will ask you a few questions and give you a new
    code.

    "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    > I have added a second HDD to my system and now I am asked to activate it
    > but I keep second drive for video capture and editing only, My internet
    > stuff is on the other HDD, How can I deal with this please.(Hope I am not
    > missing something obvious as a newbee )

    ---

    Steve, Feb 25, 2004
  7. Brucey2

    Guest

    Toss XP, wipe the HD, and use linux or some other unix like os, thats
    my suggestion :)

    , Feb 25, 2004
  8. Brucey2

    Basket Case Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Toss XP, wipe the HD, and use linux or some other unix like os, thats
    > my suggestion :)

    Do that and he's gotta spend weeks, if not months, learning the operating
    system. Then you've got the problem of getting all your applications and
    games working under some halfass emulator... not to mention the headaches of
    getting a DVD player working properly. The average user wants something
    that works out of the box, not something they've gotta spend the majority of
    their productive time tinkering with config files, hoping that something
    might eventually work.

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 25, 2004
  9. Brucey2

    Brucey2 Guest

    Thanks for the input,Because I dont know any better I unplug the IDE from
    one drive to use the other and installed XP on each.I am in the UK so I will
    look up the number to ring from here, Thanks.

    Brucey2, Feb 25, 2004
  10. Brucey2

    V W Wall Guest

    Brucey2 wrote:

    > Thanks for the input,Because I dont know any better I unplug the IDE from
    > one drive to use the other and installed XP on each.I am in the UK so I will
    > look up the number to ring from here, Thanks.

    If you *installed* XP on the second drive, that is equivalent to installing
    on a second system. That is the purpose of Windows' activation--to prevent
    the use of a single license on two machines.

    Adding a second drive as a back-up or data drive should not trigger the
    activation. Just don't try to install WinXP twice!

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Feb 26, 2004