XP 64bit on Dell Inspiron 530

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Yousaf, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. Yousaf

    Yousaf Guest

    Hi all

    Just bought a new Dell Inspiron 530 which came with a 32 bit Vista
    Basic. I want to remove this and clean install Win XP 64 as my main
    home desktop. Due to fact I work from home, it is imperative that Win
    XP 64 works like a production system.

    So far, I have read negative reviews about XP 64 bit. Mostly people
    mention driver issues. I just wanted to know if that is still the
    case. Is there anyone out there who has a similar system and has been
    using XP 64 bit? If so please reply to this post and let me know how
    you got on.

    There are a couple of proprietary GIS programs that I want to run on
    this desktop. People running these programs on their 64bit XP systems
    have not encountered any problems.

    Thanks
    Yousaf

    ps. My system specs are as following:

    1 Inspiron 530 E2140 Pentium Dual Core Processor 1.60GHz 800Mhz FSB,
    1MB cache 210-18097
    1 Memory Dual Channel 1024MB (2x512) 667MHz DDR2 370-12929
    1 No Floppy / MCR 385-10498
    1 Hard Drive 320GB Serial ATA non Raid (7200 Rpm) 400-13488
    1 DVD+/-RW (ReadWrite) 16X 429-12619
    1 Video Card 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 490-10738
    1 Audio Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability 510-10195
    Yousaf, Jan 8, 2008

  2. You don't specify the particulars of exactly what's on your Dell, but just
    doing a generic search of Dell Inspiron Desktop 530 drivers for XP x64
    yields 22 hits.

    http://search.dell.com/results.aspx...~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=anav

    So off the top of my head, I'd say you should be fine. Now you need to
    actually ensure that you've got drivers for the specific hardware in your
    particular Dell - we can't do that for you, since we don't know your exact
    build. USE the Dell support site. Plug in your service tag, and go from
    there. Also make sure that any existing peripherals you use have drivers.

    Many of us here have run XP x64 "in production" for over 3 years. I can't
    say it was without pain, but it certainly was more than doable. The only
    reason I'm no longer running XP x64 is that I've moved on to Vista 64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2008

  3. Yousaf

    Yousaf Guest

    > Many of us here have run XP x64 "in production" for over 3 years. I can't
    > say it was without pain, but it certainly was more than doable. The only
    > reason I'm no longer running XP x64 is that I've moved on to Vista 64.

    Is Vista less troublesome? I'll be asking Dell about the drivers for
    both XP 64 and Vista.

    Thanks for replying.
    Yousaf
    Yousaf, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Yousaf

    Theo Guest

    If you would go to the Dell web site you would discover that
    currently Dell does not support either Windows XP x64 nor
    Vist x64. You will NOT find any x64 drivers listed on their
    Support web site at:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...D=INSP_DSKTP_D530&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

    Or, you can start at:
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

    and select the Inspiron 530 desktop computer.

    Theo, Jan 9, 2008
  5. As far as XP Pro x64 goes, it is not a consumer edition anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 9, 2008
  6. Interesting, since I found several drivers under XP x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2008
  7. Vista is different. You'll have a learning curve, certainly. But is it less
    troublesome? Many would say so, I think, though I doubt that the opinions
    would be universal. It's certainly true that the hardware requirements for
    Vista are much higher than for XP. But once you meet those requirements, I
    think it's a good choice. Certainly on the drivers for 64bit, I expect it to
    be better supported than XP x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2008
  8. Yousaf

    Theo Guest

    I agree with you. However, Dell does offer XP x64 on some
    of their computers. The important point though is they do
    not offer any x64 drivers/support for either x64 on the
    Inspiron 530.

    Theo, Jan 9, 2008
  9. Yousaf

    Theo Guest

    Not sure what to think. I don't get any for x64 when I look
    it up.

    Theo, Jan 9, 2008
  10. see my original link. Some are just BIOS, but there's a conexant driver, and
    a creative one, that I noticed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2008
  11. Yousaf

    Theo Guest

    What about x64 drivers needed for the motherboard and other
    hardware?

    Theo, Jan 9, 2008
  12. I honestly don't know. (there's a good reason I don't buy Dell.) But I'd
    start by making sure that Dell sells the machine with XP x64 or with Dell
    support agreeing that it will work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2008
  13. Yousaf

    Theo Guest

    Thank you. That was exactly my point when I posted.

    I was trying to point out to the OP that Dell didn't list or
    note any x64 support for the 530.

    Theo, Jan 10, 2008