XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. I have a DFI nf4 SLI-DR motherboard and I
    am trying to install Windows XP 64-bit in a striped RAID array on them. I put
    the disk in, load the drivers for my Silicon Image RAID controller (I have a
    SATA DVD burner plugged into this, so I need this driver) and I load my
    Nvidia RAID drivers from the F6 prompt when windows starts. (I have tried
    both 6.39A English version and the 7.13 international version). Well, the
    install starts off normally, the disk is detected and formatted. Then all
    files are copied over to the disk and it even prompts me for the driver disks
    again so that it can copy them to the windows directory. But when I reboot I
    get a screen that says "Windows could not start because of a computer disk
    hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk.
    Check boot path and disk hardware."

    I then booted into the recovery console and used bootcfg to redetect
    everything and I even used fixboot to try and write a new boot record. Then I
    got bootcfg to list the settings and everything looked great, but upon reboot
    nothing works. The crazy part is that even if I disable RAID and install with
    just one drive I get the same thing. But when I switch over to the Silicon
    Image controller then the install progresses as normal. I don't want to
    install with the Silicon Image controller due to lack of SATA-II support and
    piss poor performance compared to the Nvidia RAID controller. If anyone has
    any idea what the issue could be please let me know! I have messed around
    with all kinds of boot configs and disabled and reenabled controllers. I even
    disabled my IDE controller to see if they were confusing something. Nothing
    seems to work.
    =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Clearly it doesn't like the drivers you're using. The error means that the
    drivers aren't fully compliant with x64. They're good enough to load in text
    mode, but are failing in GUI mode. Check for updated drivers from DFI, and/or
    www.planetamd64.com.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Charlie, this is the same problem I have been reporting and following up on
    for 6 weeks now with Nf4 and SATA II. See my posting under
    Re: missing or corupt ntoskrnl.exe

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Well, the drivers that WinXP x64 doesn't like are the only drivers that
    Nvidia has released for XP 64-bit. Like I said in my previous post I tried
    the newest version of the English language drivers and the newest version
    that they had released as International drivers. The version they post on
    their site is from back in March or something. From reading John Barnes post
    the situation right now is pretty much hopeless. I guess I'll just have to
    contact DFI and hope that if they get enough complaints then they might get
    something moving.
    =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=, Jul 12, 2005
  5. You're right. I think it's the SATAII that triggers it? Yet another reason
    why I'm quite happy with my VIA right now.

    I wonder -- my new SATA II Samsung drive came with a jumper to force it to
    SATA I behaviour. I was having some issues with startup recognition of it,
    since the VIA isn't SATA II and that meant it had to time out on SATA II and
    then go to SATA I. I jumpered it, and all the problems went away. Any chance
    that yours can be forced down to SATA I? And would that help?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks, I'll contact them. I hope ASUS will start to take the issue
    seriously. This is getting annoying and I don't need an extra storage
    drive.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Do you know if you will have to reinstall when the driver situation is
    resolved and you want to use it as a SATA II drive. While the info page for
    Hitachi shows no difference, the test in device manager on my X86 system
    where it works, shows a huge difference in burst speed and modest increase
    in sustained speed.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  8. I wouldn't think you'd need a re-install, but I don't have any direct
    knowledge. I'm more interested to know if the Hitachi of yours actually has a
    jumper to force it to SATA I, and if it does, if that helps.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  9. Per John's messages -- are these by any chance SATA II drives? If so, can you
    force them to SATA I with a jumper (my new Samsungs 200 Gb drives have this
    feature.) And finally, if you force it to SATA I, does it now work?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    There is no visible jumper on the drive and since it was OEM I have no
    documentation. That said, I think with the 10+ replies from Hitachi, if
    that were an option they would have proffered that by now. They
    specifically told me that Samsung (I have Samsung SATA I drives that I have
    installed on) wasn't native SATA II and they were native SATA II. I will
    post the reply when I receive one.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  11. The older Samsungs were not SATA II, but the new 200 and 250 GB drivers from
    Samsung appear to be native SATA II. But with a jumper, fortunately.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The reply from Hitachi only references the change of the 1.5gb setting to
    3.0gb transfer speed setting and SSC which I have always had disabled. My
    drive came with the 1.5gb default and doesn't work in either setting. I am
    confused about any other ' SATA II ' settings as some were included early
    in certain SATA I drives. If your jumper only changes the transfer setting,
    then that is not the solution and NF4 still has a driver issue. If there
    are other features modified by the jumper, could you please let me know what
    they are.
    As I said earlier, my 2 Samsung SATA I drives work fine for both initial
    installs of x64 and x86. SATA II doesn't work for installing either, but
    will boot into a copy of x86 while not booting into a copy of x64.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  13. My Western Digital SATA raptor is not SATA II, but it still has the same
    problem. I have sent an e-mail to DFI and we will see if they offer any
    advice on the issue. I'll keep you guys posted if they respond.
    =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=, Jul 12, 2005
  14. Thanks. Too bad, I was hoping it was related. Which RAID controller is the
    DFI using? Have you tried looking for a driver directly from the RAID
    controller OEM? I know with my ASUS, I was able to find working drivers
    earlier by going to the VIA site directly. And even earlier than that by
    grabbing them from the planetamd64.com site. In these cases, knowing what the
    model and brand of RAID controller was let me get up and running weeks before
    ASUS had the right driver.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  15. The documentation on the Samsung 200 Gb includes the following:
    1.) Installing the HD
    Note: SATA I (1.5gbps) Selection by jumper setting [only for SATA II
    (3.0gbps) product]
    In some rare(sic) cases the old SATA I host adapter can not establish the
    SATA interface connection with the SATA II product due the SATA speed
    negotiation problem. In this case the enclosed jumper can be used to force to
    set SATA I as shown on the below figure.

    Required on my ASUS A8V Deluxe with VIA RAID/SATA controller.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  16. It is the same nForce4 RAID controller that the other person on this forum is
    having an issue with. My Silicon Image RAID controller works fine, but its
    performance is far below the nForce4's RAID and doesn't support NCQ either.
    So apparently for now it is a known driver issue and we have no resolution.
    Does anyone from Microsoft actually monitor these forums?
    =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=, Jul 12, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The Via VT8237 only supports the Full duplex high performance 150MB/s Dual
    Channel Serial ATA interface and your info seems to be just a transfer speed
    jumper. The Hitachi has a software ' jumper ' . Guess those of us with
    NF4 are just going to have to stick with SATA I for now and hope for driver
    support when the mobo mfg and Nvidia get their act together. In my case the
    speed jumper on the SATA II drive is useless for x64 and only provides
    utility for data functions on the x86 system. Probably would provide a
    better performance for programs accessing data a lot, especially where burst
    speed makes a difference. Thanks again for your expertise.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes they do, but they can't even agree if your can buy an OEM license and
    somehow (upgrade, repair, etc.) use it to validate the trial version so you
    don't have to do an install. They don't do drivers or encourage the
    development of drivers by others.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  19. Not strictly true. They don't do drivers, certainly, except in quite rare
    cases. But they go to quite extraordinary lengths to encourage others to
    write drivers for their hardware. Including things like lab time, one on one
    consulting, etc.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 13, 2005
  20. That makes sense. So that's at least two significant Nvidia problems we've
    got to deal with right now -- this, and the [deleted] firewall that they turn
    on whether you ask for it or not.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 13, 2005