    Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
    once again, with no problem whatsoever.

    What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=, Jan 5, 2006

  2. I have never heard of SMART, what is suppose to do, teach Windows a lesson?
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=

    Rick Guest

    It may be that turning on S.M.A.R.T. after Windows is installed makes
    some change on the HDD that cause problems. I have always turned it on
    before installing and never encountered any problems.

    You might turn on S.M.A.R.T. and try doing a Repair install after
    booting the install CD. You wait until after you press F8 to accept the
    EULA. If the current installation is recognized, you should be offered
    the option to Repair it.

    Rick, Jan 5, 2006
  4. It monitors the health of a hard disk.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 5, 2006
  5. SMART = Self Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology. Sorry, I meant to
    include that in my reply.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Ah, that may very well be it. I tried starting the install again, and opening
    a recovery prompt. I ran chkdsk and it gave me a lot of cr*p, so I guess
    something is in fact changed.

    Does a repair install remove every little thing I've installed, or does it
    only affect Windows-components?

    And thanks for the idea!

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Sadly, no. ;)

    Self monitoring a recovery technology, perhaps? Some acronym, anyway. For
    HD-self monitoring and repair. ;)

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=, Jan 5, 2006
  8. Ahh, I see, thanks, I guess its only compatible with 32-bit Windows or
    Weines BIOS needs to be updated to support it.

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 5, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=

    Rick Guest

    It should only reinstall the OS and leave other installed programs as
    they are. I don't remember for sure if I had to redo chipset, sound,
    network, CPU, video, etc. drivers or not.

    I know I have a situation with some MBs right now with the updated BIOS
    that is supposed to support AMD stepping E6. There is no problem with
    E3 or E4 CPUs. With the most current BIOS and a step E6 CPU, I get all
    kinds of errors trying to install drivers, and then booting up. But if
    I revert back to the 1st edition of the BIOS, Windows boots with no
    errors. So, in my case, it is not actual corruption of files on the
    drive, it's a problem with processing the stuff in memory.

    Rick, Jan 5, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, as I understand it SMART only supports IDE drives, then I might be
    wrong...
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Jan 5, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=

    Rick Guest

    Actually it is OS independent. It's built into the HDD.

    S.M.A.R.T. technology

    S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.
    S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive
    manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of
    drives. It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future
    failure of hard disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an
    industry standard for hard drive manufacturers.

    Through the S.M.A.R.T. system, modern hard disk drives incorporate a
    suite of advanced diagnostics that monitor the internal operations of a
    drive and provide an early warning for many types of potential problems.
    When a potential problem is detected, the drive can be repaired or
    replaced before any data is lost or damaged.

    The S.M.A.R.T. system monitors the drive for anything that might seem
    out of the ordinary, documents it, and analyzes the data. If it sees
    something that indicates a problem, it is capable of notifying the user
    (or system administrator). S.M.A.R.T. monitors disk performance, faulty
    sectors, recalibration, CRC errors, drive spin-up time, drive heads,
    distance between the heads and the disk platters, drive temperature, and
    characteristics of the media, motor and servomechanisms. The errors the
    system can detect can be predicted by a number of methods. Currently the
    SMART system can detect about 70% of all hard drive errors.

    Here's an example: motor and/or bearing failure can be predicted by an
    increase in the drive spin-up time and the number of retries it takes to
    get the drive spinning at full speed. Or, if the drive notes that error
    correction is being needed excessively, it can attribute this to a
    broken drive head or surface contamination, and it will create an alert
    before the problem gets worse. Armed with a prediction of failure, the
    user or system administrator can make a backup copy of key data, replace
    a suspect device prior to data loss, and avoid undesired downtime.

    Rick, Jan 5, 2006
  12. Hi, then - luckily - you are. :) Both my bios/SATA-II-chip and my HD
    (WD2500JS) supports it. So, I'm guessing that Rick is correct in his estimate
    of my problem. I'm going to try the method stated now, and I'll - hopefully -
    get back and tell y'all about it.

    (Doesn't seem to be too many people using S.M.A.R.T. around, though.)

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=, Jan 5, 2006
  13. Wow, awesome info, thanks Rick.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 5, 2006
  14. You will not have to reinstall things like the mobo drivers but you will
    need to revisit Microsot Update to get the patches again.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 5, 2006
  15. Heh, I'm a wee bit confused right now.. I reentered my bios, and this time I
    activated S.M.A.R.T. on both my SATA-II drive and my old IDE one. This time,
    though, Windows started w/o any hassle. So, I've got exactly no idea
    whatsoever what went wrong in the first place. I'm not very motivated to try
    disabling the S.M.A.R.T. on my IDE drive, just to check.

    Thanks for the enlightenment and all the feedback, everyone!

    Btw: if anyone else is using S.M.A.R.T., and also running any software
    reporting the measured values, what program are you running? And do you get
    "normal" readings?

    First off: I can't seem to get any of the apps I tried (SiSoft Sandra,
    DiskCheckup & Speedfan 4.25) to check the SATA-II, only my IDE.

    Second: my IDE reports some really strange values..

    Seek Error Rate: 22710 (Threshold 30; Worst 89; Maximum 60)
    Raw Read Error Rate: 6312 (T 6; W 64; M 57)
    ECC Corrected Count (T 0; W 64; M 56)

    A few others seem strange too, but the rest are normal. Afaik.

    Well, that's my penny's worth of ranting. For now. :)

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=, Jan 5, 2006
  16. In-so-far-as IDE is ATA - SATA is IDE with a new connection, and support
    electronics for it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 6, 2006