    capture card that will work with 4 gigs of memory in windows 64 Long way to
    get at the question but I had to tell someone that it works. Thanks
    matt
    Matt Schneyer, Jul 24, 2008

  2. VirtualPC has no USB connectivity.

    If you use VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/ ,
    VMware's Server 1 http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
    or Player 2 http://www.vmware.com/download/player/ with VMXBuilder
    http://petruska.stardock.net/Software/Vmware.html#VMXBuilder you will be
    able to use your 32-bit USB devices in a 32-bit virtual machine.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 24, 2008

  3. "Matt Schneyer" <> wrote in message
    > That was a mouthful. I finally corrected my Tyan dual opteron bios with 4
    > gigs memory and reinstalled on a raid 5 (Tyan thunder 2885 with
    > highpoint raid card and a bunch of raptors ) five raptures windows xp
    > 64 and a virtual machine using virtual 2007 I think 64 bit with xp 32
    > installed. This set up sure beats the dual booting stuff. I have been at
    > it thru all the betas in xp 64 and then Vista. I was able to get almost
    > everything to work on the xp 64, I was not able to get a Microtek 5700
    > installed on the 64 bit machine but was able to install on another net
    > worked machine and access from the 32 bit virtual machine that was cool.
    > No such luck with a Nikon film scanner no 64 bit drivers and no network
    > capability. Not so bad I do not scan that many slides anymore. What is
    > left is a convertx made by Plexor for video capture it is USB. No 64 bit
    > drivers. Is there a way to get the virtual machine to recognize connected
    > USB stuff. Or is there another capture card that will work with 4 gigs of
    > memory in windows 64 Long way to get at the question but I had to tell
    > someone that it works. Thanks matt

    A virtual machine cannot use any cards in the host. A vm has its own set of
    emulated hardware and that cannot be changed. A vm does not use the usb
    ports on the host. You will not be able to use the vm for video capture at
    all.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 24, 2008
  4. VM server works it does enable usb ports was able to install the
    Nikon USB scanner and it sees my thumb drives. The Microtek scanner is
    fire wire I can network that one. It also sees the plexor capture device now
    I need to find the capture software I was using but all but one device is
    pretty good thanks too all and a great news group

    Matt Schneyer, Jul 24, 2008
  5. Yes, you can get your USB to work in the Virtual Machine. I just ran across
    a solution for this last week, and blogged about it. It's actually quite
    slick, and works well. They've got a signed driver problem, and they are
    actively working on it, but if you can ignore the warning for now.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2008/07/16/usb-in-hyper-v-child.aspx

    This talks about Hyper-V, but the solution will work just fine in Virtual
    PC, I'm sure. Oh, and one of the benefits? You don't need drivers that
    recognized the device at all on the Server side of this (the host) - just on
    the side that actually uses the device (the client side).
    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 24, 2008
  6. See my blog from last week, Colin. This solution from FabulaTech is
    seriously cool and works a champ.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 24, 2008
  7. Matt Schneyer

    Carlos Guest

    Interesting piece of software, Charlie.
    I browsed their home page and could find no reference to not having signed
    drivers for Vista x64.
    Is that something that you notice only when performing the actual
    installation?
    Are you using their latest release of July 16th (v3.4.3)?
    http://www.fabulatech.com/usb-over-network-download.html

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 24, 2008
  8. Matt Schneyer

    Carlos Guest

    Yeah, quite pricey for me too.
    It would be like 400 pesos to me and I'd rather spend it on something else
    and more gratifying.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 25, 2008
  9. Yeah, not cheap. But if you need to solve a problem, it does it well.

    On the driver question - yes, I've used the current version. The driver is
    signed, but signed by an authority that Windows doesn't recognize. They said
    they're working on it. (It does allow the software to work, however - you're
    just going to get two red warning boxes loading it. )

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2008
  10. Matt Schneyer

    Carlos Guest

    I see, I get two of those red warnings when installing CreativeLabs (a.k.a.:
    "Soundblaster") drivers/software for my SBLive 24bit card.
    No need to F8 during boot, though.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 26, 2008
  11. Exactly the same situtation here (and only on the client side, if I remember
    correctly.) And same situation after the install - no F8 required.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2008