    3 GB ram
    Ati x600 video card
    2- WD 74 GB raptors running in Intel raid striped
    =?Utf-8?B?RG9uIEY=?=, Jan 25, 2006

  2. I'm sorry, Don, but it's unclear to me where the problem occurs. Can you get
    into the machine far enough to get at log files (possibly with a dual boot
    to 32-bit windows?). Beyond that, you'll need:

    1.) The absolute latest BIOS from ASUS.
    2.) Appropriate drivers for your Intel RAID.
    3.) Probably updated drivers for your ATI, though it sounds like you're not
    getting that far.
    4.) Do the install with ALL USB devices disconnected, please. Especially any
    device that may be seen as a storage device, such as a card reader, USB key,
    etc. But if you can, please find a PS/2 keyboard and mouse as well and use
    them. We have seen issues with installs failing because of USB devices.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Thanks I will try a different keyboard and mouse though my bios says it
    supports them in legacy. I will remove my camera etc. I cannot get too a log
    file. I restarted the setup 10 times and it seemed to fail in the same place,
    about 30 - 34 minutes left.

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9uIEY=?=, Jan 25, 2006
  4. I'm betting it's the camera, which it will see as a storage device. But
    let's get them all out of there and try again. Thanks.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 25, 2006
  5. Hello,
    We are in the middle of PnP detection so simplifying the machine is very
    helpful when we have problems like,

    If it still hangs, do a Shift - F10, which should open a CMD window.
    you should be able to use notepad to see what are in the setup log files.
    Of particular interest would be>
    The last 10-20 lines of:
    \Windows\Setupapi.log
    \Windows\PnPlog.txt
    \Windows\Setuplog.txt
    Possibly also \Windows\setupact.log
    Pnplog.txt is the really interesting one, if you have a PnP detection that
    is failing this log file gets generated on the reboot, IT should point to
    what was being detected at the time of the hang. Ideally we try to skip
    the device causing problems on reboots, so each reboot we try to skip the
    next device in the chain. However if we are just ennumerating devices we
    may not have devices to skip. ( USB chain would be an example, parallel
    ports would be another)
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: XP 64 Retail Stops
    <Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:53:34 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <I'm betting it's the camera, which it will see as a storage device. But
    <let's get them all out of there and try again. Thanks.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <Don F wrote:
    <> Thanks I will try a different keyboard and mouse though my bios says it
    <> supports them in legacy. I will remove my camera etc. I cannot get too a
    <> log file. I restarted the setup 10 times and it seemed to fail in the
    <> same place, about 30 - 34 minutes left.
    <>
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    <>
    <>> I'm sorry, Don, but it's unclear to me where the problem occurs. Can you
    <>> get into the machine far enough to get at log files (possibly with a
    <>> dual boot to 32-bit windows?). Beyond that, you'll need:
    <>>
    <>> 1.) The absolute latest BIOS from ASUS.
    <>> 2.) Appropriate drivers for your Intel RAID.
    <>> 3.) Probably updated drivers for your ATI, though it sounds like you're
    <>> not getting that far.
    <>> 4.) Do the install with ALL USB devices disconnected, please. Especially
    <>> any device that may be seen as a storage device, such as a card reader,
    <>> USB key, etc. But if you can, please find a PS/2 keyboard and mouse as
    <>> well and use them. We have seen issues with installs failing because of
    <>> USB devices.
    <>>
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Charlie.
    <>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 26, 2006
  6. Good tip, I always forget about shift-F10. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 27, 2006