    working?

    If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?

    thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Aug 27, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Strictly guessing, but if Dell's calling it an upgrade disk, I'd bet it's
    "in place of" rather than "in addition to" 32 bit XP. It's unusual for an
    OEM to ship a disk that actually exposes the generic install routines. It
    usually boots and merrily does what it does with only prompts for the
    localization and network customizations. Again - I'm just guessing.
    Anybody actually done this with a Dell machine?

    M. Murcek, Aug 27, 2006

  3. Depends on what your deal from Dell was. Both are OEM versions. If you
    bought an "upgrade" from Dell, your old one is no longer usable. If you
    bought a standalone version, you can dual boot.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 27, 2006
  4. Note sure. It says it is a technology advancement program.

    They have different cd keys. If I install the 64 bit and activiate it, will
    teh 32 bit stop working? Or if that is the case, will it not even let me
    activate the 64bit.

    thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Aug 27, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    mikeyhsd Guest

    why not call dell and ask.

    mikeyhsd, Aug 27, 2006
  6. The Technology Advancement Program ended over a year ago. If you got it
    through that, then your 32-bit becomes unlicensed as soon as you install.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 28, 2006
  7. * Mike:

    > I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit version).
    >
    > Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade disk.
    >
    > I have not installed it yet.
    >
    > I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both OSs.
    > However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.

    I guess Dells upgrade program was similar to that of HP where I got the
    xp x64 upgrade for my xw8200 workstation. If that's the case then by
    using the x64 edition your 32bit Windows license expires....

    > If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system stop
    > working?

    No.

    > If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?

    XP x64 should come with a different key. However, with obtaining x64
    your 32bit Windows license got invalid, using both would be illegal...

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Aug 28, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    As Benjamin said, but you can always buy a new copy (full, not upgrade) of
    x86 and do a repair install of your x86 sytem. Then you would LEGALLY be
    able to use both systems in dual boot mode.

    John Barnes, Aug 28, 2006
  9. Thanks for the responses. I called Dell and they stated once I install the
    64bit, the 32bit will be treated like an illegal copy.

    I have no issue with buying the 64bit version. I did not realize you could
    buy it until Dell Tech Support pointed me to NewEgg.com item N82E16832116053.

    I figure if I have to buy one, might as well buy the one I do not have
    installed.

    This is listed as OEM, Dell said it should work fine. Any thoughts.

    Thanks for all the help.

    Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Aug 28, 2006
  10. It will work fine. There is no "retail" version, but any non-linked
    OEM/System Builder version will be fine. It's only the linked "Technology
    Advancement Program" copies that are at issue. They were explicitly a
    _replacement_ for an existing 32-bit Windows XP Professional copy.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 28, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Keep in mind that, as an OEM version of Windows, it cannot be moved to
    another computer once it is installed (it's against the license).

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 28, 2006
  12. Technically correct. Though my personal perception is that MS is not being
    too fussy about XP x64 because of it's rather unique status. That perception
    could be totally off base, of course, but I have had to change motherboards
    on one machine more than once (don't ask - it was too painful to even think
    about again) and I just kept re-activating the same old copy. And while one
    of those was simply a replacement of the original mobo with an identical new
    one, ultimately we ended up changing completely to a different mfg's board.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 28, 2006