    etc...

    Please advise.

    Thanks!

    Ben, Sep 12, 2009

  2. Ben

    Alessandro Guest

    Ben wrote:
    > I am putting together an AM3 socket DDR3 computer using latest ASUS MB with
    > AMD Phenom II 810 X4 CPU.
    >
    > Should I install Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate or XP 64-bit on my computer so
    > that I have less of a headache in terms of driver compatbility, applications,
    > etc...
    >
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Windows 7 x64 RTM just recognized my laptop's hardware (Asus Pro31s -
    F3SA mb) it found EVERYTHING! Even the devices that Vista didn't! And
    most of the hardware the laptop has can't even be used on XP because
    there're no drivers.

    Your hw is also new, so i would suggest you to use Windows 7! Also, if
    you check Asus' website, you'll see they already support both x64 and
    x86 versions! I'm pretty sure you will have no problems with it.

    Just a note: Windows 7 does *NOT* search Windows Update for drivers
    unless you tell it to do so.

    Alex

    Alessandro, Sep 12, 2009

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Thanks Buddy!

    Ben, Sep 12, 2009
  4. Ben

    Rainer Guest

    Hi Ben,

    your chances that things will work are good. I installed 2 machines (one
    old the other one very new) the last days with out any problems but...
    I failed to install a 3rd machine due to incompatibilities with the
    graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT).

    So good luck!
    Rainer

    Rainer, Sep 12, 2009
  5. Ben

    Alessandro Guest

    Rainer wrote:
    > Hi Ben,
    >
    > your chances that things will work are good. I installed 2 machines (one
    > old the other one very new) the last days with out any problems but...
    > I failed to install a 3rd machine due to incompatibilities with the
    > graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT).
    >
    > So good luck!
    > Rainer
    >
    > Ben schrieb:
    >> I am putting together an AM3 socket DDR3 computer using latest ASUS MB
    >> with AMD Phenom II 810 X4 CPU.
    >>
    >> Should I install Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate or XP 64-bit on my computer
    >> so that I have less of a headache in terms of driver compatbility,
    >> applications, etc...
    >>
    >> Please advise.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    I'm sure it's not the 9500GT 'cause NVIDIA still officially supports it.
    I also used a similar model on this system (Win7 RTM x64) with no problems.

    Alex

    Alessandro, Sep 12, 2009
  6. Ben

    mikeyhsd Guest

    Windows 7 of course.

    most likely to find all the NEW hardware out of the box.

    also you can use the new XP virtual mode for some OLD xp stuff just in case.

    mikeyhsd, Sep 12, 2009
  7. XP Mode is only available on Professional and Ultimate, not Home Premium
    or lesser versions of Windows 7.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 12, 2009
  8. Ben

    Zootal Guest

    What are you used to? Do you have the time and desire to learn Windows 7?
    Have you used XP64 before and are aware of the limitations? Do you already
    have a license for XP64 that you can use, likewise for Win 7?

    If you have a license for Win7 already it, install it and see if it works
    for you. You can always remove it and install XP64.

    XP64 seems to be one of Microsoft's bastard children. Going forward you will
    find more/better support if you use Win 7 then XP64. XP64 will slowly become
    obsolete and manufacturers will stop making drivers for it. YMMV...there are
    reasons to stay with XP, there are reasons to go with Win 7. Add them up and
    see which one is more appealing. You will find most people here in this
    newsgroup like Windows 7 (this is a Microsoft newsgroup, after all) and
    won't hesitate to tell you why. Out there in the real world, I'm finding a
    lot of people that prefer XP, mostly because 1) they hate what MS did to the
    start menu/taskbar and MS did not include a backwards compability mode and
    2) XP works and there is no reason to upgrade.

    Zootal, Sep 12, 2009
  9. Ben

    mikeyhsd Guest

    no mention on which version he desires to use.

    mikeyhsd, Sep 13, 2009
  10. "mikeyhsd" <> wrote in message
    > no mention on which version he desires to use.
    >

    > "Dominic Payer" <> wrote in message
    >> XP Mode is only available on Professional and Ultimate, not Home Premium
    >> or lesser versions of Windows 7.
    >>

    >> On 12/09/2009 14:44, mikeyhsd wrote:
    >>> Windows 7 of course.
    >>>
    >>> most likely to find all the NEW hardware out of the box.
    >>>
    >>> also you can use the new XP virtual mode for some OLD xp stuff just in
    >>> case.
    >>>

    >>> "Ben" <> wrote in message

    He did mention Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Sep 13, 2009
  11. Ben

    JS Guest

    "Ben" <> wrote in message
    >I am putting together an AM3 socket DDR3 computer using latest ASUS MB with
    > AMD Phenom II 810 X4 CPU.
    >
    > Should I install Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate or XP 64-bit on my computer so
    > that I have less of a headache in terms of driver compatbility,
    > applications,
    > etc...
    >
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Vista really got the 64-bit movement going
    but Windows 7 64-bit will most likely be
    the predominant OS on new computers sold
    after 7 is officially released.

    So in short 7 is the future, XP 64-bit is not going to
    have very many drivers written for any new hardware,
    so it will not be long for this world.

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Sep 13, 2009
  12. Ben

    Zootal Guest

    I notice that my message no longer appears on Microsoft's news server.
    Giganews, which has 4.5 years of history, and Google Groups both have
    it. Looks like Microsoft deletes messages that they don't like. Is
    that why everyone here likes Win7? MS deletes messages that say
    something negative about it or that they just don't like in general?

    Zootal, Sep 13, 2009
  13. Ben

    Rainer Guest

    Hi Alessandro,

    > I'm sure it's not the 9500GT 'cause NVIDIA still officially supports it.
    > I also used a similar model on this system (Win7 RTM x64) with no problems.

    Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most actual
    driver from NVIDIA
    (190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_whql) I get to see the
    "blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" , deinstall the
    graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode, every thing
    is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA driver, and
    with next startup I see the blue screen again :-(

    Regards
    Rainer

    Rainer, Sep 13, 2009
  14. Ben

    Alessandro Guest

    Rainer wrote:
    > Hi Alessandro,
    >
    >> I'm sure it's not the 9500GT 'cause NVIDIA still officially supports
    >> it. I also used a similar model on this system (Win7 RTM x64) with no
    >> problems.

    > Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most actual
    > driver from NVIDIA
    > (190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_whql) I get to see the
    > "blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" , deinstall the
    > graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode, every thing
    > is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA driver, and
    > with next startup I see the blue screen again :-(
    >
    > Regards
    > Rainer

    That's strange. The drivers are working for me with no problems so far.
    You should check your crash dump files.

    Alex

    Alessandro, Sep 13, 2009
  15. Ben

    mikeyhsd Guest

    NVIDIA has always been last kid on the block on getting new drivers out for
    the last 3-4 beta programs.
    one reason I always use ATI/AMD video products.
    they seem to make a better effort in keeping up.

    mikeyhsd, Sep 13, 2009
  16. Ben

    Alessandro Guest

    mikeyhsd wrote:
    > NVIDIA has always been last kid on the block on getting new drivers out
    > for the last 3-4 beta programs.
    > one reason I always use ATI/AMD video products.
    > they seem to make a better effort in keeping up.
    >

    > "Rainer" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Alessandro,
    >>
    >>> I'm sure it's not the 9500GT 'cause NVIDIA still officially supports
    >>> it. I also used a similar model on this system (Win7 RTM x64) with no
    >>> problems.

    >> Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most
    >> actual driver from NVIDIA
    >> (190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_whql) I get to see
    >> the "blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" , deinstall
    >> the graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode, every
    >> thing is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA
    >> driver, and with next startup I see the blue screen again :-(
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Rainer

    The ATI drivers were so bad that i could not use them. Also, check how
    many different operating systems NVIDIA is supporting (more than AMD/ATI).
    I also have an HD 4870 (they're much cheaper than NVIDIA here where i
    live) and i really like it. The problem is that they don't care to give
    you a proper implementation of the latest opengl standards (while NVIDIA
    does). The right hardware for the right task. If you use OpenGL (games
    -even if most of them are now using DirectX only-, programs -blender,
    wings3d, photoshop-) NVIDIA is better, if you don't ATI is ok.
    Personally, i like them both.

    Alex

    Alessandro, Sep 13, 2009
  17. Ben

    Zootal Guest

    "Alessandro" <> wrote in message
    > mikeyhsd wrote:
    >> NVIDIA has always been last kid on the block on getting new drivers out
    >> for the last 3-4 beta programs.
    >> one reason I always use ATI/AMD video products.
    >> they seem to make a better effort in keeping up.
    >>

    >> "Rainer" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Alessandro,

    >>> Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most actual
    >>> driver from NVIDIA
    >>> (190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_whql) I get to see the
    >>> "blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" , deinstall the
    >>> graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode, every thing
    >>> is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA driver, and
    >>> with next startup I see the blue screen again :-(
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Rainer

    > The ATI drivers were so bad that i could not use them. Also, check how
    > many different operating systems NVIDIA is supporting (more than AMD/ATI).
    > I also have an HD 4870 (they're much cheaper than NVIDIA here where i
    > live) and i really like it. The problem is that they don't care to give
    > you a proper implementation of the latest opengl standards (while NVIDIA
    > does). The right hardware for the right task. If you use OpenGL
    > (games -even if most of them are now using DirectX only-,
    > programs -blender, wings3d, photoshop-) NVIDIA is better, if you don't ATI
    > is ok. Personally, i like them both.
    >
    > Alex

    ATI has a history of buggy drivers, but they got over that a few years ago.
    Unfortunately, for the last six months or so their drivers have had OpenGL
    and install issues. 9.2 or 9.3 drivers are very stable, and I notice they
    released version 9.9 just a few days ago but I haven't had a chance to try
    them.

    nVidia introduced a somewhat rare problem with their 64 bit drivers about a
    year or so ago that causes a blue screen, error managing PEMS or something
    like that. I found a lot of people having the problem but no solution. I've
    been using ATI cards since then. Unfortunately, no one makes perfect
    drivers, neither ATI nor nVidia. The good news is that if the current
    version is buggy, there is almost always an older version that works good.

    Zootal, Sep 13, 2009