    Thanx,
    RRenzo Cardalda.
    , Jun 23, 2006

  2. This was covered in the early days of my blog, but the short answer is -
    when Server 2003 asks for your drivers, point it at the XP x64 CD
    \amd64\ntprint.inf

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 24, 2006

  3. Guest

    Hi Charlie,

    I did exacly as you told but Win2003 keeps telling me that the location
    does not contain a valid driver for the requested processor
    architecture. (I ticked X64 Windows XP and Windows Server 2003).

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > This was covered in the early days of my blog, but the short answer is -
    > when Server 2003 asks for your drivers, point it at the XP x64 CD
    > \amd64\ntprint.inf
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > wrote:
    > > I'm the first in the office the use XP 64 bit. Everything works ecxept
    > > for the printers. We have an old HP4000N which is supported natively by
    > >
    > > XP64.
    > >
    > > However, the printer is setup as a network printer and cannot be
    > > connected directly to my machine because I have no physical access.
    > >
    > > When I search printers in de domain, XP64 finds the HP4000 correctly
    > > but is unable to add it because no valid drivers are held by the
    > > Win2003 server. I cannot add the drivers to that server because I don't
    > >
    > > have them and XP64 pops up and asks me to specify a valid .INF file.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a solution?
    > >
    > > Thanx,
    > > RRenzo Cardalda.
    , Jun 27, 2006
  4. Untick the server box, and make sure it is one that is native to Windows XP
    x64. And make sure you're not using an HP driver for the existing one, but a
    native Windows driver. That particular model often had native HP drivers
    used, since they provided additional functionality. That would break the
    whole process, which is extremely fussy. The two must be an _identical
    match_ in the relevant .inf files.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    What do you mean by untick the server box?
    I'll describe the steps I went through:

    1. On the W2003-32bit server I open the Printers panel
    2. Right-click on HP4000 printer en choose Sharing
    3. Radio "Share this printer" was already pushed
    4. Checkbox "List in the directory" was already checked
    5. Click button "Addition Drivers..."
    6. 5 checkboxes appear :

    [ ] Itanium - Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
    [ ] X64 - Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
    [X] X86 - Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
    [ ] X86 - Windows 95, 98 and Millennium Edition
    [ ] X86 - Windows NT 4.0

    7. I tick the X64 box and press OK
    8. A popup asks me to provide a driver
    9. I insert the XP 64 CD and browse to the \AMD64\NTPRINT.INF file and
    press OK
    10. Only the folder part is copied to the edit box
    11. After pressing OK, Ik get the error message

    (Why is it called AMD64? I use a DELL Intell 64 Bit machine)
    , Jun 27, 2006
  6. The steps are right, so I have to assume that the printer driver isn't quite
    compatible. Again, is the printer driver you're currently using a native
    Windows driver? Or an HP provided one? If the later, you'll need to drop
    back to a Windows one or get a matching x64 one directly from HP.

    as for why the \amd64 folder, that's easy. AMD created the architecture and
    Intel's CPUs are binary compatible with it, and came along a lot later,
    after Intel figured out that they missed the boat. By that time, the folder
    structure had already been decided on. Much the same as when you installed
    32-bit windows on a computer with an AMD processor and the files were all in
    the \i386 folder.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2006
  7. Guest

    Hi Charlie,

    first: thanks for sharing your time with me!

    HP does not have native 64 bit drivers, instead, they tell us that
    XP64/W2003-64 comes with basic drivers.
    I managed to add a printer by creating a local printer which allows me
    to specify a manufacturer and a printer model. Fortunately I can use
    the printer's ethernet port and all works fine, except that I bypass
    the server's queue.
    Even after a valid driver has been loaded, XP64 refuses to a this
    printer as an networked printer...
    , Jun 28, 2006
  8. Well, it sounds like you have a workaround. It is not a "network printer"
    even though your connection to it is via ethernet. This is one of those
    times when MS terminology gets weird, but it is consistent. In this case
    "printer" is actually "printer queue" as many of us would think of it. So a
    network printer is one where the queue is external to the local computer. In
    your case, because you've added it as a local printer, there's a local print
    queue. The printer _port_, however, is a network port (Standard TCP/IP in
    your case.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64