    Any help would be appreciated,

    Thanks,

    Nick
    =?Utf-8?B?TGlnaHRuYg==?=, Oct 6, 2005

  2. -----EDIT-----

    My computer keeps crashing to the blue screen of death almost randomly.
    First, the mouse stops moving, then there's a delay, then a horibly high
    pitched
    painful sound from the soundcard, and then the blue screen comes up, with the
    error "Machine Check Exception".

    It was doing this before, with XP Pro installed, so I re-formated, and
    installed XP Pro again, with no luck, and now I'm running XP Pro 64 bit
    edition, with the same problem.

    I'm guessing this is hardware related, but have no idea how to figure out
    which device is the culpit.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

    Thanks,

    Nick
    =?Utf-8?B?TGlnaHRuYg==?=, Oct 6, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TGlnaHRuYg==?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Lightnb" <> wrote in message
    > -----EDIT-----
    >
    > My computer keeps crashing to the blue screen of death almost randomly.
    > First, the mouse stops moving, then there's a delay, then a horibly high
    > pitched
    > painful sound from the soundcard, and then the blue screen comes up, with
    > the
    > error "Machine Check Exception".
    >
    > It was doing this before, with XP Pro installed, so I re-formated, and
    > installed XP Pro again, with no luck, and now I'm running XP Pro 64 bit
    > edition, with the same problem.
    >
    > I'm guessing this is hardware related, but have no idea how to figure out
    > which device is the culpit.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick

    Since it happens in two different OSes, it definitely sounds like either a
    heat related problem, or perhaps there is a short somewhere inside the case.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Machine check exceptions are almost always hardware.
    1.) disable any overclocking
    2.) remove all cards except the minimum required while you're
    troubleshooting
    3.) Test your memory - that's the most likely culprit. For possible testers
    and solutions, see my blog:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/09/01/64999.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Can't be a heat issue, both the exhaust and the ambient air inside the case
    is cold, even after running for hours. how would i check for a short?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGlnaHRuYg==?=, Oct 9, 2005
  6. See my last answer to this thread. And I quote:
    ===

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 9, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGlnaHRuYg==?=

    Lightnb Guest

    It's not the memory... I ran the MS test utility in advanced mode with no
    problems.

    This CPU isn't o/c either.

    I pulled the graphics card out, and it has been stable since then... but its
    only been a few hours, not long enough to be sure the issue has been fixed.

    Lightnb, Oct 9, 2005