    multiboot. I am not a computer guru and I'm afraid of the conflicts and hools
    that might come up with the dual boot. Any suggestions on which direction
    might be the best? Thanks for being out there.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEg=?=, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Hello Bob, I got thesame problem as you are, Microsoft is so trigger happy of
    getting this X64 out in the market without making sure that pre-existing
    hardwares and softwares will support. Anyways just venting...What I did is I
    have 2 hard drives one is IDE which I reformat and install XP home edition,
    the other is RAID which X64 is installed, for now I'm switching from OS to
    OS, until I can get all my hardwares and softwares update to be compliant
    with X64. One thing though, X64 is definately fast. Unfortunately, you
    really got to dig and suft to find the right drivers for your hardwares and
    softwares just to get the X64 working.

    Good luck.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJvY2sxOTcz?=, Sep 20, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEg=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Bob H" <Bob > wrote in message
    > Just got my 64 bit machine, but now I see that I absolutely need 32
    > operation
    > for a few months to allow my software time to get up to speed. I can
    > return
    > the 64 bit machine, get a credit and reorder with xp pro OR I could try to
    > multiboot. I am not a computer guru and I'm afraid of the conflicts and
    > hools
    > that might come up with the dual boot. Any suggestions on which direction
    > might be the best? Thanks for being out there.

    You are far better off dual booting than trading in the machine for a 32 bit
    processor.
    You will regret the step back to 32 if you do.

    Dual booting is not difficult at all.

    Many manufacturers are keeping up with 64 bit...notably Logitech.

    Most, if not all, of your software should run just fine under Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition.

    Just curious...your computer shipped with the 32 bit version of Windows, did
    it not? therefore, all of your computing is "32 bit", as your OS only
    understands 32 bit.

    Your computer is already operating in 32 bit mode, unless it came
    pre-installed with x64.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 20, 2005
  4. The hardware and software venders had plenty of time.
    If they wanted to support their hardware or software, it was fully in their
    ability to do so.
    Typically many venders wait until the final release before beginning to work
    on their drivers and updates.
    The venders that had drivers available soon, did not wait but instead were
    working while the OS was still in Beta.
    There are many reasons they wait but a big one is they do not want to expend
    the resources only to see a change rendering their work useless.
    If Microsoft waited until there was hardware and software support, we would
    still be waiting for Windows 95.
    The best thing to do is communicate your needs directly with the vender so
    they know of their customers needs.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Sep 20, 2005
  5. The bright shiney new computer came with 64 preinstalled. I've heard that
    there is a 32 bit mode, but no one seems to know much about it. Thanks
    everyone for the feedback. I ight just try to do the dual boot with a
    separate drive. Wish me luck.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEg=?=, Sep 20, 2005
  6. Thanks Drock fdr the reply. I'm thinking I might try the dual OS work around.
    I'll buy another drive and load it with XP Pro. I suppose there's a mechanism
    for switching boot drives. I know that in Macs it's very easy - just tell it
    to restart on another drive. Thanks again.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEg=?=, Sep 20, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEg=?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Bob,

    I think you are misunderstanding something fundamental.

    x64 Windows runs both 64bit =and= 32bit apps seamlessly because it has a
    mode called WOW64 (Windows{32} on Windows64) which it uses to supply a 32bit
    virtual machine in 4Gb of virtual address space as needed. This happens
    fully automatically when you ask for a 32bit application to run.

    The only caveats are that any application must be "pure" 32bit since x64
    windows will NOT support 16bit at all. Also, a 32bit application (or
    library) can not call a 64bit application (or library) and vice-versa.

    Finally, ALL device drivers MUST be 64bit. No workarounds here at all.

    You =may= not need to dual boot if all your apps are true 32bit (as in my
    case and I have resisted the temptation to dual boot purely from a
    standpoint of being a stubborn old man who wants a pure 64bit OS & nothing
    else - I already have 6 other 32bit PCs!)

    Hope that's helped to clarify things a bit.

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 20, 2005