    Notes: the USB 2.0 Hard Disk works on the same exact hardware as mentioned
    above with XP 32-bit installed and I verified the same issue occurs on 2
    other XP 64-bit systems as well.
    =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=, Jul 1, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 1-Jul-2005, =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?= <>
    wrote:

    > When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
    > detects the hardware, then BSOD

    What kind of hard disk?

    I have a Western Digital external hard disk and it works fine as a firewire
    disk. The device manager cannot find a driver for the USB portion of the
    disk.
    Sam Crawford, Jul 1, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    The article suggests that this is independent of controller model but most
    of us probably have multiple devices without experiencing this. I've heard
    of cases where the controller firmware needed an update to cure this type of
    problem. Perhaps you should prowl the manufactures web site to see if there
    is a firmware update for your device.

    "ksuxtc" <> wrote in message
    > When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
    > detects the hardware, then BSOD. After researching the error code from

    the
    > BSOD, I found a Microsoft article that describes the error exactly, except

    it
    > is in reference to XP 32-bit. This was an issue on XP 32-bit, SP2

    corrected
    > the issue, but apparently a similar fix has not yet been implemented into

    XP

    Intel_Fan, Jul 1, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

    Rick Guest

    I have a USB 2.0 hard drive that I use with x64 for my backup files and
    I have absolutely no problems with it.

    Rick, Jul 1, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Mine works too, both with the USB 2.0 and 1394 connections.

    John Barnes, Jul 1, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

    NNBXX Guest

    Same here, no problem at all with my USB 2.0 external HDD. I guess your
    enclosure itself has a problem, the issue is not whether you run x64 or not.

    NNBXX, Jul 1, 2005
  7. I have checked on a firmware update, and was told by MassCool's tech support
    to not expect it anytime soon. One other thing I didn't write before, my
    various USB 2.0 flash memory sticks all work fine on x64.

    I'm a little confused by this statement though: "I guess your
    enclosure itself has a problem, the issue is not whether you run x64 or not."

    If x64 isn't the issue, then why does the same USB 2.0 HDD work on the same
    computer running XP 32-bit? I think that in itself proves it's an OS issue
    with this hardware, not the hardware itself, because out of the many Linux
    distros and XP 32-bit that I have run on my computer, x64 is the only one to
    have any problems with this USB 2.0 HDD.

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I guess I'm outta luck.

    =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=, Jul 1, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

    Rick Guest

    The fact that you have an issue in one OS an not another doesn't prove
    anything.

    Rick, Jul 1, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    one more idea and it may be a long shot. Unplug all (or as many as you can)
    of your USB devices and Uninstall your USB controllers through Device
    Manager. Reboot and let the OS re-detect and re-install the drivers. This
    should only be required IF X64 didn't detect that your controllers were USB2
    and you installed motherboard resource drivers that didn't re-detect the USB
    hardware. This was a problem back with W2K and really shouldn't still apply
    but I'd try it before giving up or swapping the drive into a different
    external case.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 1, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    I have multiple external hard drive enclosures. Buslink and Coolmax have no
    problems. A BYTECC with a cooling fan gets a BSOD with a hard drive but not
    with a DVD burner. I also have a Plumax that looks identical to the BYTECC
    but works fine with a hard drive and has a cooling fan. I haven't been able
    to find another Plumax in over a year, but I don't need anymore enclosures
    at this time.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 2, 2005