XP 32-bit plus Vista Beta on 64-bit computer

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Gene, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. Gene

    Gene Guest

    Hello,

    I have no experience with 64-bit computers, but I need to buy one soon to do
    some software testing in Vista Beta 2. If I buy a Core 2 Duo E6300 with XP
    Pro 32-bit pre-installed, can I expect all my software and peripherals I own
    now (and which work in XP Pro on a Pentium 4) to work fine in XP Pro 32-bit?
    Is there any trouble running 32-bit software in 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit
    computer? Is there anything I need to be aware of before I commit the money
    on a Core 2 Duo? (I do not want to ask my boss for money for a Core 2 Duo
    and then find out it will not do what I must have it do.)

    Can I then partition the drive and install Vista Beta 2 in the second
    partition, and dual boot?

    When Vista is released is there any reason I could not buy a retail copy and
    install it in the second partition, replacing the Beta?

    After Vista is released, and after I buy a retail copy, what do you think
    about me reformatting the entire drive, installing Vista (64-bit) as the
    only OS, and then using either Microsoft Virtual PC, Microsoft Virtual
    Server, or VMWare Workstation to run older OS's? I need to do testing in
    Vista, XP (32-bit), 2000, and 98. I even need to keep a Win 3.1 box around
    for development of a certain driver. I used to use Connectix Virtual PC to
    run Win 2000, NT, 98, and 3.1 on an old PIII. I just installed the free
    Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 on my P4 2.8GHz Win XP Pro Toshiba laptop with 2
    GB RAM, and just created a Vista virtual drive, which runs slowly on this
    computer. It lets me test Vista, but it is only 32-bit. I would like to have
    a Vista 64-bit computer and then use virtual hard drives for all my old
    OS's, allowing me to start and stop them at will, instead of rebooting into
    the other OS (dual booting).

    If I do the above, is the Core 2 Duo E6300 powerful enough? It is the baby
    CPU of the Core 2 Duo line, but it is so much more powerful than my P4 that
    I anticipate it will seem like I am flying, compared to my P4. Is that
    right? Or should I get one of the more powerful Core 2 Duos.

    If I do what I described above (Vista as the only OS, then run Virtual PC
    with the older OS's), how much RAM should I ask my boss to buy? Do you think
    2 GB is enough to run Vista plus one virtual OS? I think I should get 4 GB
    RAM, but I need some expert's help and advice to enable me to justify the
    extra cost. (I know RAM is the cheapest way to speed up a computer, but this
    is going to be the most expensive PC I have ever asked my boss to buy, and I
    need some facts to back up my request. I am going to need to justify every
    component.)

    Thanks,
    Gene

    Gene, Aug 28, 2006

  2. Yes, you can dual boot. And yes, there will probably be driver problems -
    Vista is, after all, a beta OS. But 64bit in general has driver issues
    still. They're getting better, but they're not perfect. So do your homework
    and make sure you order peripherals that are supported for 64 bit, and that
    will work well with Vista.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 28, 2006

  3. * Gene:

    > I have no experience with 64-bit computers, but I need to buy one soon to do
    > some software testing in Vista Beta 2. If I buy a Core 2 Duo E6300 with XP
    > Pro 32-bit pre-installed, can I expect all my software and peripherals I own
    > now (and which work in XP Pro on a Pentium 4) to work fine in XP Pro 32-bit?

    yes.

    > Is there any trouble running 32-bit software in 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit
    > computer?

    no. That's what probably 99% of all owners of x64 based computers
    running Windows do...

    > Is there anything I need to be aware of before I commit the money
    > on a Core 2 Duo? (I do not want to ask my boss for money for a Core 2 Duo
    > and then find out it will not do what I must have it do.)

    If it's for business use be sure to get a solid system with good service
    like a Dell (not Dimension) or HP (not Pavilion/Presario)...

    > Can I then partition the drive and install Vista Beta 2 in the second
    > partition, and dual boot?

    yes.

    > When Vista is released is there any reason I could not buy a retail copy and
    > install it in the second partition, replacing the Beta?

    no.

    > After Vista is released, and after I buy a retail copy, what do you think
    > about me reformatting the entire drive, installing Vista (64-bit) as the
    > only OS, and then using either Microsoft Virtual PC, Microsoft Virtual
    > Server, or VMWare Workstation to run older OS's?

    if it fits your requirements, why not?

    > I need to do testing in
    > Vista, XP (32-bit), 2000, and 98. I even need to keep a Win 3.1 box around
    > for development of a certain driver. I used to use Connectix Virtual PC to
    > run Win 2000, NT, 98, and 3.1 on an old PIII. I just installed the free
    > Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 on my P4 2.8GHz Win XP Pro Toshiba laptop with 2
    > GB RAM, and just created a Vista virtual drive, which runs slowly on this
    > computer.

    Vista Beta 2 runs very slow in virtual environments. I guess RC1 and the
    final version will be much better...

    > It lets me test Vista, but it is only 32-bit. I would like to have
    > a Vista 64-bit computer and then use virtual hard drives for all my old
    > OS's, allowing me to start and stop them at will, instead of rebooting into
    > the other OS (dual booting).

    if it fits your requirements, why not?

    > If I do the above, is the Core 2 Duo E6300 powerful enough?

    depends on what you want to run on it (and of course what you want to
    run on the virtual machines).

    > It is the baby
    > CPU of the Core 2 Duo line, but it is so much more powerful than my P4 that
    > I anticipate it will seem like I am flying, compared to my P4. Is that
    > right?

    Since we don't know what P4 you have (which can be everywhere from
    1.3GHz to 3.8GHz) it's hard to tell. But if the other components are
    good then it probably will fly compared to any P4.

    > Or should I get one of the more powerful Core 2 Duos.

    depends on what you want to run on it (and of course what you want to
    run on the virtual machines).

    > If I do what I described above (Vista as the only OS, then run Virtual PC
    > with the older OS's), how much RAM should I ask my boss to buy? Do you think
    > 2 GB is enough to run Vista plus one virtual OS? I think I should get 4 GB
    > RAM, but I need some expert's help and advice to enable me to justify the
    > extra cost. (I know RAM is the cheapest way to speed up a computer, but this
    > is going to be the most expensive PC I have ever asked my boss to buy, and I
    > need some facts to back up my request. I am going to need to justify every
    > component.)

    depends on what you want to run on it (and of course what you want to
    run on the virtual machines). But from your description I'd go for at
    least 4GB...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Aug 28, 2006
  4. Gene

    Gene Guest

    Thank you Charlie and Benjamin, for your answers. It would have been
    terrible to put in a request for a computer that did not end up doing what I
    needed.

    I forgot to tell you my current P4 is running at 2.8 GHz, and I have 2 GB
    RAM in it. I run fairly typical office applications, but I need several
    running at once. With antivirus and antispyware running it really gets
    bogged down. Each time I must rebuild it from scratch I am always amazed to
    see how fast it runs at the beginning, before I install antivirus and
    antispyware. I am looking forward to dual cores, expecting the second core
    to take some of the load.

    Thanks again.

    Regards,
    Gene

    Gene, Aug 29, 2006
  5. Not to be negative or anything but I have yet to see Dells domestic repair
    centers and their Indian overseas Support group agree on much of anything....
    I no longer recommend Dell to ANYONE for any reason. Not to mention work on
    them....

    =?Utf-8?B?QmV0YWdlZWs1Mg==?=, Sep 1, 2006
  6. I wold not recommend a Dell to anybody. Their support has gotten to the point
    of being confusing at best, and ridiculous at best.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmV0YWdlZWs1Mg==?=, Sep 1, 2006