    That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
    should trim it down a bit.
    Thanks.

    DrDan, Dec 10, 2007

  2. DrDan

    Rôgêr Guest

    DrDan wrote:
    > If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
    > rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
    > the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
    > That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
    > should trim it down a bit.

    You can delete the data safely. The downside is XNews will have to
    reload the headers next time you go to a group, and it won't remember
    which posts you've already read.

    Rôgêr, Dec 10, 2007

  3. DrDan

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:11:43 -0600, DrDan wrote:

    Is your subject line a question?

    Oh right it's something to do with xnews, are you sure?

    You can delete the file, but wait while it sorts the headers out next
    time, as you select messages to read the group files in \data are
    updated. Unless you have selected to same messages / attachments in that
    folder when you swap groups / close xnews that folder is cleared out
    automatically.

    >If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
    >rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
    >the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
    >That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
    >should trim it down a bit.
    >Thanks.

    You can also get other xnews help from
    news.software.readers , put [XNews] at the start of your subject line,
    you will see why by looking at, as it covers slrn, tbird, dialog etc.
    http://groups.google.com/group/news.software.readers/topics

    Me

    why?, Dec 10, 2007
  4. DrDan

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:11:43 -0600, DrDan <> wrote:

    >If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
    >rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
    >the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
    >That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
    >should trim it down a bit.
    >Thanks.

    Are you visiting a lot of binary groups and keeping the message
    bodies?
    That would be one reason for the huge size.
    I always set my readers to not save the messages. If I want to keep
    the file, save it elsewhere.

    It may be tedious, but you could also delete the groups, then restore
    them later when you restart xnews. That helps to reset the size of the
    folders and restore the groups as if new.

    richard, Dec 10, 2007
  5. DrDan

    pcbuilder_98 Guest

    DrDan <> wrote in

    > If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
    > rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
    > the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
    > That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
    > should trim it down a bit.
    > Thanks.

    I would not delete the folder. You may instead delete any file in that
    folder with the HDR extension. The file will be regenerated when you next
    open the NG.

    --
    pcbuilder98.

    pcbuilder_98, Dec 10, 2007
  6. DrDan

    chuckcar Guest

    DrDan <> wrote in

    > If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
    > rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
    > the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
    > That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
    > should trim it down a bit.
    > Thanks.

    What you *can* do to be completely safe so nothing doesn't jive is first
    open up explorer to the data directory, sort the directory by size in
    decending order. Then use xnews to open that server/group indicated by
    the name, then group->discard headers->all and then use the
    folder/checkmark (catchup) to close the group. Repeat as necessary.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 11, 2007
  7. DrDan

    DrDan Guest

    What I did was

    DrDan <> wrote in

    > If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it
    > just rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should
    > I delete the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
    > That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems
    > like I should trim it down a bit.
    > Thanks.

    After reading the reply's I decided to delete the contents of
    the data folder. Sure everything has to be reloaded but my
    xnews folder shrunk from 5 gigs down to 38megs. Also, tghere
    was one large music group I haven't been able to load in a long
    time, xnews would become unresponsive, now loads fine. Thanks
    again for the help.

    DrDan, Dec 13, 2007