    Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    Be Sure To Pay Your
    Taxes On Time
    Lord Dudley of Devonshire, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    DC Guest

    Lord Dudley of Devonshire wrote:
    > My personal servant is setting up Xnew, 1 click at a time. If
    > anyone has any special tips or tricks in setting up Xnews please
    > feel free to send them this way.

    General Xnews Help:
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/manual.html
    http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb
    http://www.seegras.de/xnews

    Xnews and binaries:
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/sizer/
    http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/otr/xnewsbin.html
    http://www.help4newbies.fsnet.co.uk/xnews_page_1.htm

    Xnews help: news.software.readers noozefroop.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com
    DC, Mar 7, 2005

  3. DC <> Pecked Out

    > Lord Dudley of Devonshire wrote:
    >> My personal servant is setting up Xnew, 1 click at a time. If
    >> anyone has any special tips or tricks in setting up Xnews please
    >> feel free to send them this way.

    > General Xnews Help:
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/manual.html
    > http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb
    > http://www.seegras.de/xnews
    >
    > Xnews and binaries:
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/sizer/
    > http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/otr/xnewsbin.html
    > http://www.help4newbies.fsnet.co.uk/xnews_page_1.htm
    >
    > Xnews help: news.software.readers noozefroop.

    Very well then. Many Thanks

    --
    Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    Be Sure To Pay Your
    Taxes On Time
    Lord Dudley of Devonshire, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    LucullusB Guest

    > Lord Dudley of Devonshire wrote:
    >> My personal servant is setting up Xnew, 1 click at a time. If
    >> anyone has any special tips or tricks in setting up Xnews please
    >> feel free to send them this way.

    > General Xnews Help:
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/manual.html
    > http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb
    > http://www.seegras.de/xnews
    >
    > Xnews and binaries:
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/sizer/
    > http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/otr/xnewsbin.html
    > http://www.help4newbies.fsnet.co.uk/xnews_page_1.htm
    >
    > Xnews help: news.software.readers noozefroop.

    Thank you very much also
    Another interested
    LucB
    LucullusB, Mar 8, 2005
  5. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    DC Guest

    Lord Dudley of Devonshire wrote:
    > DC <> Pecked Out

    >> Lord Dudley of Devonshire wrote:
    >>> My personal servant is setting up Xnew, 1 click at a time. If
    >>> anyone has any special tips or tricks in setting up Xnews please
    >>> feel free to send them this way.

    >> General Xnews Help:
    >> http://xnews.newsguy.com/manual.html
    >> http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb
    >> http://www.seegras.de/xnews

    >> Xnews and binaries:
    >> http://xnews.newsguy.com/sizer/
    >> http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/otr/xnewsbin.html
    >> http://www.help4newbies.fsnet.co.uk/xnews_page_1.htm

    >> Xnews help: news.software.readers noozefroop.

    > Very well then. Many Thanks

    You're welcome.

    DC, Mar 10, 2005
  6. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    Barney Guest

    DC <> had
    writtennews::

    >>> Xnews help: news.software.readers noozefroop.

    Word of caution! Some of the guys have been on that NG for some time
    now and get very upset if you ask them a question that has been
    asked before. Search extensively in the Google groups before asking
    anything. They will harrass you to no end. Right Blinky?

    There are some tricks to using Xnews I have forgotten and wouldn't
    dare ask again. The manual is confusing but still the better option.
    Google will help if you know the right question to ask.

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!
    Barney, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    DC Guest

    Barney wrote:
    > DC <> had
    > writtennews::

    > Word of caution! Some of the guys have been on that NG for some time
    > now and get very upset if you ask them a question that has been
    > asked before. Search extensively in the Google groups before asking
    > anything. They will harrass you to no end. Right Blinky?

    Doesn't everyone search Google Groups before asking a question on
    newsgroups?

    > There are some tricks to using Xnews I have forgotten and wouldn't
    > dare ask again.

    Well, there's always, you know, *Google Groups*.

    > The manual is confusing but still the better option.
    > Google will help if you know the right question to ask.

    *sigh*

    DC, Mar 11, 2005
  8. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    Barney Guest

    DC <> had
    writtennews::

    > Doesn't everyone search Google Groups before asking a question on
    > newsgroups?

    Not if they didn't know of it! Probably why I mentioned it. I good day
    of research can sometimes find a valid answer.

    >> There are some tricks to using Xnews I have forgotten and wouldn't
    >> dare ask again.

    > Well, there's always, you know, *Google Groups*.

    Can't remember the right question to ask. Was it xnews message limit or
    write a new command line in the ini. Neither seems to find the right
    answer. Blinky would help, but then he did answer it before.

    >> The manual is confusing but still the better option.
    >> Google will help if you know the right question to ask.

    > *sigh*

    Everyone says that when they read the manual! Xpat search may help but
    again, "ask the right question":)

    Barney, Mar 11, 2005
  9. Barney wrote:
    > DC <> had
    > writtennews::

    > Word of caution! Some of the guys have been on that NG for some time
    > now and get very upset if you ask them a question that has been
    > asked before. Search extensively in the Google groups before asking
    > anything.

    That's good advice in any newsgroup.

    > They will harrass you to no end. Right Blinky?

    Only if you cop an attitude after being educated about reading the
    manual or searching the group first.

    > There are some tricks to using Xnews I have forgotten and wouldn't
    > dare ask again.

    And you don't have to; if you've already gotten answers once, go look
    them up with Google Groups.

    > The manual is confusing but still the better option.

    To some, yes; to others no. That's probably the same with every manual
    out there.

    > Google will help if you know the right question to ask.

    In which sense it's the same as newsgroups: it makes sense to ask good
    questions.

    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 11, 2005
  10. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    Barney Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> had
    writtennews::

    >> Word of caution! Some of the guys have been on that NG for some
    >> time now and get very upset if you ask them a question that has
    >> been asked before. Search extensively in the Google groups before
    >> asking anything.

    > That's good advice in any newsgroup.

    Depending on the group.

    >> They will harrass you to no end. Right Blinky?

    > Only if you cop an attitude after being educated about reading the
    > manual or searching the group first.

    Or even asking, if you are a newbie unaware of the "help yourself
    first".

    >> There are some tricks to using Xnews I have forgotten and
    >> wouldn't dare ask again.

    > And you don't have to; if you've already gotten answers once, go
    > look them up with Google Groups.

    Pays to save searchs and backup for next computer. I learn more
    every day. Anyone who is new to newsreaders should stick to the
    browser untill 100% sure before using the reader..Few newbies are
    even aware of Google groups searchs.

    >> The manual is confusing but still the better option.

    > To some, yes; to others no. That's probably the same with every
    > manual out there.

    The manual don't bite! There are a few websites as you know, that
    one can use as well and no need to bother asking in a NG.

    >> Google will help if you know the right question to ask.

    > In which sense it's the same as newsgroups: it makes sense to ask
    > good questions.

    Few years back I asked and was answered and I'm sure I will figure
    it out again.

    There should be a NG on Google and how to search NGs. Then one could
    toggle between browser and newsreader.

    This has to be one of the better NGs to get replies on just about
    any program. To bad Xnews always brings out contempt when asked
    about.

    Barney, Mar 11, 2005
  11. Barney wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> had
    > writtennews::

    >>> Word of caution! Some of the guys have been on that NG for some
    >>> time now and get very upset if you ask them a question that has
    >>> been asked before. Search extensively in the Google groups before
    >>> asking anything.

    >> That's good advice in any newsgroup.

    > Depending on the group.

    Sure. Lots of news groups just love to hear, "I'm too lazy to look
    around to try to help myself, please take some time out of your busy
    days and spoonfeed me what's all around if I just look for it for five
    minutes." Just not on this planet.

    >>> They will harrass you to no end. Right Blinky?

    >> Only if you cop an attitude after being educated about reading the
    >> manual or searching the group first.

    > Or even asking, if you are a newbie unaware of the "help yourself
    > first".

    LIS, once they've tried to educate him, he'll usually get help anyway
    -- unless he cops an attitude.

    >>> There are some tricks to using Xnews I have forgotten and
    >>> wouldn't dare ask again.

    >> And you don't have to; if you've already gotten answers once, go
    >> look them up with Google Groups.

    > Pays to save searchs and backup for next computer. I learn more
    > every day. Anyone who is new to newsreaders should stick to the
    > browser untill 100% sure before using the reader..Few newbies are
    > even aware of Google groups searchs.

    That's why suggesting it (and the manual) is a good thing; it helps
    them learn how to help themselves.

    >>> The manual is confusing but still the better option.

    >> To some, yes; to others no. That's probably the same with every
    >> manual out there.

    > The manual don't bite! There are a few websites as you know, that
    > one can use as well and no need to bother asking in a NG.

    >>> Google will help if you know the right question to ask.

    >> In which sense it's the same as newsgroups: it makes sense to ask
    >> good questions.

    > Few years back I asked and was answered and I'm sure I will figure
    > it out again.

    :)

    > There should be a NG on Google and how to search NGs. Then one could
    > toggle between browser and newsreader.

    I don't think you were around, but one of the worst plagues in n.s.r
    came a few months ago, when ZoneAlarm issued an upgrade that broke yEnc
    downloads on Xnews and a few other browsers. For weeks, there were -
    or seemed to be - several first-timers *per day* asking "xnews cant
    handle downloads now why". I even did some kind of a micro-FAQ or
    something for that onslaught, and posted it a few times in the group.
    I saw no evidence that it did any good.

    > This has to be one of the better NGs to get replies on just about
    > any program. To bad Xnews always brings out contempt when asked
    > about.

    I just suggest n.s.r. I used to be more active in the Xnews help mode,
    there, but since I haven't used it more than a couple of days in the
    last two and a half years, I'm rusty with it myself. It's still on my
    old laptop, Wheezer, along with W98SE, PaintShopPro Version
    old.something, PegasusMail, WinZip and such.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 11, 2005
  12. pour avoir un plus grand nombre de participant faut il avoir un langage
    plus diversifie donc en plus de l'anglais une langue d'origine LATINE dont
    le FRANCAIS OU L'ITALIEN ET L'ESPAGNOL...................MERCI

    --
    MARIUS J.L. BUHAGIAR

    BUHAGIAR MARIUS JEAN LOUIS, Mar 11, 2005
  13. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    Barney Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> had
    writtennews::

    >> Depending on the group.

    > Sure. Lots of news groups just love to hear, "I'm too lazy to
    > look around to try to help myself, please take some time out of
    > your busy days and spoonfeed me what's all around if I just look
    > for it for five minutes." Just not on this planet.

    Not all NGs are help aids and infact political.

    >> Or even asking, if you are a newbie unaware of the "help yourself
    >> first".

    > LIS, once they've tried to educate him, he'll usually get help
    > anyway -- unless he cops an attitude.

    I've seen responces in that NG, where the first responce to a newbies
    question, was a sarcastic responce to look elsewhere first. Even the
    author of Xnews has on his web site, to go to that NG to find answers.
    No referance to Google.

    >>> And you don't have to; if you've already gotten answers once, go
    >>> look them up with Google Groups.

    >> Pays to save searchs and backup for next computer. I learn more
    >> every day. Anyone who is new to newsreaders should stick to the
    >> browser untill 100% sure before using the reader..Few newbies are
    >> even aware of Google groups searchs.

    > That's why suggesting it (and the manual) is a good thing; it
    > helps them learn how to help themselves.

    As I said, the author of Xnews suggest going to news.software.readers
    NG to find answers not in the manual.

    >> There should be a NG on Google and how to search NGs. Then one
    >> could toggle between browser and newsreader.

    > I don't think you were around, but one of the worst plagues in
    > n.s.r came a few months ago, when ZoneAlarm issued an upgrade that
    > broke yEnc downloads on Xnews and a few other browsers. For
    > weeks, there were - or seemed to be - several first-timers *per
    > day* asking "xnews cant handle downloads now why". I even did
    > some kind of a micro-FAQ or something for that onslaught, and
    > posted it a few times in the group. I saw no evidence that it did
    > any good.

    I can remember it. People do panic and usualy go to the NG that helped
    them before. Yes, it would have been better to search first before
    asking the same question. But I still read about updates for MS XP that
    have been around for a year. A lot of users forget that it's not always
    THEIR computor that's at fault.

    >> This has to be one of the better NGs to get replies on just about
    >> any program. To bad Xnews always brings out contempt when asked
    >> about.

    > I just suggest n.s.r. I used to be more active in the Xnews help
    > mode, there, but since I haven't used it more than a couple of
    > days in the last two and a half years, I'm rusty with it myself.
    > It's still on my old laptop, Wheezer, along with W98SE,
    > PaintShopPro Version old.something, PegasusMail, WinZip and such.

    Blinky, I was one you got going on Xnews. Your help was invaluable. I'm
    shocked and dismayed you don't use it anymore!

    Barney, Mar 11, 2005
  14. Barney wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> had
    > writtennews::

    >>> Depending on the group.

    >> Sure. Lots of news groups just love to hear, "I'm too lazy to
    >> look around to try to help myself, please take some time out of
    >> your busy days and spoonfeed me what's all around if I just look
    >> for it for five minutes." Just not on this planet.

    > Not all NGs are help aids and infact political.

    Well it should be obvious that I'm not talking about blather groups
    like those, since the topic is *asking questions*.

    >> I just suggest n.s.r. I used to be more active in the Xnews help
    >> mode, there, but since I haven't used it more than a couple of
    >> days in the last two and a half years, I'm rusty with it myself.
    >> It's still on my old laptop, Wheezer, along with W98SE,
    >> PaintShopPro Version old.something, PegasusMail, WinZip and such.

    > Blinky, I was one you got going on Xnews. Your help was invaluable. I'm

    My pleasure; I'm happy you're enjoying it.

    > shocked and dismayed you don't use it anymore!

    I upgraded from Windows to Linux.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 11, 2005
  15. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    Top Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Barney wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark <> had
    >> writtennews::

    >>> Sure. Lots of news groups just love to hear, "I'm too lazy to
    >>> look around to try to help myself, please take some time out of
    >>> your busy days and spoonfeed me what's all around if I just look
    >>> for it for five minutes." Just not on this planet.

    >> Not all NGs are help aids and infact political.

    > Well it should be obvious that I'm not talking about blather
    > groups like those, since the topic is *asking questions*.
    >
    >>> I just suggest n.s.r. I used to be more active in the Xnews
    >>> help mode, there, but since I haven't used it more than a couple
    >>> of days in the last two and a half years, I'm rusty with it
    >>> myself. It's still on my old laptop, Wheezer, along with W98SE,
    >>> PaintShopPro Version old.something, PegasusMail, WinZip and
    >>> such.

    >> Blinky, I was one you got going on Xnews. Your help was
    >> invaluable. I'm

    > My pleasure; I'm happy you're enjoying it.
    >
    >> shocked and dismayed you don't use it anymore!

    > I upgraded from Windows to Linux.

    Do you by chance run a dual-boot system? If so have you had any
    problems associated with the dual-boot? I'm considering adding Linux,
    played with it before (on a diffrent system) and am ready to explore
    it again. I have PartionMagic and if I remember correctly that should
    make it an easy process.

    Thanks,
    Ed

    --
    My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
    Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman
    Top, Mar 11, 2005
  16. Top wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >> Barney wrote:

    >>> Blinky the Shark <> had
    >>> writtennews::

    >>> Not all NGs are help aids and infact political.

    >> Well it should be obvious that I'm not talking about blather
    >> groups like those, since the topic is *asking questions*.

    >>> Blinky, I was one you got going on Xnews. Your help was
    >>> invaluable. I'm

    >> My pleasure; I'm happy you're enjoying it.

    >>> shocked and dismayed you don't use it anymore!

    >> I upgraded from Windows to Linux.

    > Do you by chance run a dual-boot system? If so have you had any

    I did at first, for about a year. Then my mobo went south, and on the
    hardware upgrade (I also put in a better power supply, faster RAM, and,
    IIRC, a new HD) I closed the book on the Windows Decade.

    > problems associated with the dual-boot? I'm considering adding Linux,

    None at all.

    > played with it before (on a diffrent system) and am ready to explore
    > it again. I have PartionMagic and if I remember correctly that should
    > make it an easy process.

    The Linux installation (Mandrake) took care of partitioning for the dual
    boot just fine, here. Didn't need any third party hardware.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 11, 2005
  17. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    Top Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Top wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >>> Well it should be obvious that I'm not talking about blather
    >>> groups like those, since the topic is *asking questions*.

    >>> My pleasure; I'm happy you're enjoying it.

    >>> I upgraded from Windows to Linux.

    >> Do you by chance run a dual-boot system? If so have you had any

    > I did at first, for about a year. Then my mobo went south, and on
    > the hardware upgrade (I also put in a better power supply, faster
    > RAM, and, IIRC, a new HD) I closed the book on the Windows Decade.
    >
    >> problems associated with the dual-boot? I'm considering adding
    >> Linux,

    > None at all.
    >
    >> played with it before (on a diffrent system) and am ready to
    >> explore it again. I have PartionMagic and if I remember correctly
    >> that should make it an easy process.

    > The Linux installation (Mandrake) took care of partitioning for
    > the dual boot just fine, here. Didn't need any third party
    > hardware.

    I have SuSE. Have had it a couple years gathering dust for the most
    part. It may have something for the partioning that I don't remember.
    Either way I think I have that covered. I'll be brave and see what
    happens. The system is a Dell Dimension 4550 running 2.6 ghz. Plenty
    of disk space. Will be something to occupy some time.

    Ed

    Top, Mar 11, 2005
  18. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    DC Guest

    Top wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >> Top wrote:
    >>> Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    [...]

    >>> Do you by chance run a dual-boot system? If so have you had any

    >> I did at first, for about a year. Then my mobo went south, and on
    >> the hardware upgrade (I also put in a better power supply, faster
    >> RAM, and, IIRC, a new HD) I closed the book on the Windows Decade.

    >>> problems associated with the dual-boot? I'm considering adding
    >>> Linux,

    >> None at all.

    Same here.

    >>> played with it before (on a diffrent system) and am ready to
    >>> explore it again. I have PartionMagic and if I remember correctly
    >>> that should make it an easy process.

    >> The Linux installation (Mandrake) took care of partitioning for
    >> the dual boot just fine, here. Didn't need any third party
    >> hardware.

    > I have SuSE. Have had it a couple years gathering dust for the most
    > part. It may have something for the partioning that I don't remember.
    > Either way I think I have that covered. I'll be brave and see what
    > happens. The system is a Dell Dimension 4550 running 2.6 ghz. Plenty
    > of disk space. Will be something to occupy some time.

    Remember that "the worst that could happen" is actually "the best thing
    that could happen". };O)

    DC, Mar 11, 2005
  19. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    DC Guest

    Barney wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    [big snip]

    >> That's why suggesting it (and the manual) is a good thing; it
    >> helps them learn how to help themselves.

    > As I said, the author of Xnews suggest going to news.software.readers
    > NG to find answers not in the manual.

    Bullshit. That statement is proof in itself that you haven't *once*
    cracked the manual. You get the help you deserve, lunkhead.

    DC, Mar 11, 2005
  20. Lord Dudley of Devonshire

    DC Guest

    DC wrote:
    > Barney wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > [big snip]

    >>> That's why suggesting it (and the manual) is a good thing; it
    >>> helps them learn how to help themselves.

    >> As I said, the author of Xnews suggest going to news.software.readers
    >> NG to find answers not in the manual.

    > Bullshit. That statement is proof in itself that you haven't *once*
    > cracked the manual. You get the help you deserve, lunkhead.

    Ignore. Saw a comma where there wasn't one. Sorry.

    DC, Mar 12, 2005