    find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.

    Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???

    John

    John Robinson, Nov 22, 2004

  2. John Robinson

    DC Guest

    John Robinson wrote:
    > Hi

    > I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
    > find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.

    > Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???

    Can't be done. Google Groups is your friend.

    902 English messages for xnews aol group:news.software.readers.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    It's not the software that's free; it's you.

    DC, Nov 22, 2004

  3. John Robinson wrote:
    > Hi

    > I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
    > find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.

    > Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???

    Have him get a real ISP.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 22, 2004
  4. John Robinson

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:40:32 GMT, "John Robinson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
    >find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.
    >
    >Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???
    >
    >John

    Look up teranews. www.teranews.com

    I have been using them for years and they have been pretty good.
    Now for free mind you they are damn good.
    You have to give a credit card number (they never abuse it.I have been
    with them 10 years or more and they have never charged a dime on
    mine.)
    If you get agent forte you will be doing just great. Set up the agent,
    and put in your teranews name and password and it has nothing to do
    with aohell.
    Years ago it was totally free now I think it is about 4 bucks american
    to process the information on the credit card so they know you are old
    enough to use their service.
    Check it out, it is a good thing. I have no connection with them, I
    just find it a decent outfit.
    joevan

    joevan, Nov 22, 2004
  5. John Robinson

    Joel Rubin Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
    >find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.
    >
    >Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???

    AOL does not have a standard news server so it doesn't work with
    Xnews.

    You can use Xnews if you're on AOL IF you have an account on somebody
    else's standard news server.

    You can get a free account (no binaries) from the Free University of
    Berlin. You are subject to their rules and laws.

    http://news.individual.net/

    You can also get a paid one from such companies as Giganews, Easynews,
    et alia.

    Joel Rubin, Nov 22, 2004
  6. Right..... think I've got the message. I'll tell him AOL is a bag of poo and
    pass on your other advice.

    Cheers for the replies.

    John

    John Robinson, Nov 22, 2004
  7. John Robinson

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Robinson wrote:
    > I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He
    > cannot find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.

    Many people give AOL 'credit' for having excellent 'coverage' of usenet,
    but it isn't on a 'normal' nntp newsserver, but on AOL's proprietary
    service and therefore only accessible with AOL's cruddy news interface
    software. So, if one wants to use a 3rd party software such as xnews,
    your friend has to find a newsserver than other than AOL's, either free
    or commercial. But if your friend can live with the AOL 'system'
    there's a lot of newsgroups available there.

    Adam K. Bailey's AOL help pages
    http://members.aol.com/adamkb/reference.html AOL Reference and Help

    AOL Newsmaster F.A.Q. http://members.aol.com/newsmaster/
    4. News readers and NNTP issues:
    4.1. Can I use a third party news reader to access the AOL news servers?
    4.2. What is the name of AOL's NNTP server?
    4.3. Can I use my AOL connection to access local news servers, such as
    my university server?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 22, 2004
  8. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    22 Nov 2004 21:04:23 GMT, "John Robinson"
    <> screamed from behind the
    mulberry bush:

    >Right..... think I've got the message. I'll tell him AOL is a bag of poo and
    >pass on your other advice.
    >
    >Cheers for the replies.

    With that thought, AOL uses proprietary servers for the newgroups and
    you have to use their shitware.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 23, 2004