    xnews and in xps add/remove window xnews isnt listed!

    Help!
    BP

    berksposter, Sep 27, 2003

  2. berksposter

    Boomer Guest

    berksposter wrote:

    > Hi, I have been using an old version of Xnews, (downloaded in
    > april i think) and i have just learnt how to use it properly,
    > see earlier post! So I thought I would update it. I downloaded
    > it from cnet this morning, but I cant find out how to uninstall
    > the old version.
    >
    > I'm having problems as I moved the xnews folders (they were on
    > my desktop) onto a different partition. And this caused the old
    > xnews prog problems when saving attachments (it was ok when
    > queued as it asks where to download to).
    >
    > So I thought I'd just uninstall and start again with my new
    > xnews download. But how do I uninstall and start again? there
    > seems to be no uninstall with xnews and in xps add/remove window
    > xnews isnt listed!
    >
    > Help!
    > BP

    Delete the folder. Thats all there is to it.

    Boomer, Sep 27, 2003

  3. berksposter

    Ionizer Guest

    "berksposter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have been using an old version of Xnews, (downloaded in april i

    think)
    > and i have just learnt how to use it properly, see earlier post! So I
    > thought I would update it. I downloaded it from cnet this morning, but I
    > cant find out how to uninstall the old version.
    >
    > I'm having problems as I moved the xnews folders (they were on my desktop)
    > onto a different partition. And this caused the old xnews prog problems

    when
    > saving attachments (it was ok when queued as it asks where to download

    to).

    > So I thought I'd just uninstall and start again with my new xnews

    download.
    > But how do I uninstall and start again? there seems to be no uninstall

    with
    > xnews and in xps add/remove window xnews isnt listed!
    >
    > Help!
    > BP

    Hey!

    Glad to know you're feeling more comfortable with Xnews and that you've
    turned your back on OE for binaries. The current version of Xnews is
    5.04.25 and I don't think he's updated it in quite a long time, now- maybe
    over a year even. So your "new" version is almost definitely the same as
    the one you originally got in April: open it and click Help/About to
    confirm. Xnews requires no formal install and therefore requires no
    uninstall- you can just delete its files and folders if you ever want to get
    rid of it. Just don't accidentally delete your downloads folder when you
    do, though!

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 27, 2003
  4. berksposter

    Boomer Guest

    Ionizer wrote:

    > "berksposter" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have been using an old version of Xnews, (downloaded in
    >> april i

    > think)
    >> and i have just learnt how to use it properly, see earlier
    >> post! So I thought I would update it. I downloaded it from cnet
    >> this morning, but I cant find out how to uninstall the old
    >> version.
    >>
    >> I'm having problems as I moved the xnews folders (they were on
    >> my desktop) onto a different partition. And this caused the old
    >> xnews prog problems

    > when
    >> saving attachments (it was ok when queued as it asks where to
    >> download

    > to).
    >>
    >> So I thought I'd just uninstall and start again with my new
    >> xnews

    > download.
    >> But how do I uninstall and start again? there seems to be no
    >> uninstall

    > with
    >> xnews and in xps add/remove window xnews isnt listed!
    >>
    >> Help!
    >> BP

    > Hey!
    >
    > Glad to know you're feeling more comfortable with Xnews and that
    > you've turned your back on OE for binaries. The current version
    > of Xnews is 5.04.25 and I don't think he's updated it in quite a
    > long time, now- maybe over a year even. So your "new" version
    > is almost definitely the same as the one you originally got in
    > April: open it and click Help/About to confirm. Xnews requires
    > no formal install and therefore requires no uninstall- you can
    > just delete its files and folders if you ever want to get rid of
    > it. Just don't accidentally delete your downloads folder when
    > you do, though!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    I believe he had an update about a month ago.

    Boomer, Sep 27, 2003
  5. berksposter

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > Ionizer wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Hey!
    >>
    >> Glad to know you're feeling more comfortable with Xnews and that
    >> you've turned your back on OE for binaries. The current version
    >> of Xnews is 5.04.25 and I don't think he's updated it in quite a
    >> long time, now- maybe over a year even.

    [snip]

    >> Regards,
    >> Ian.

    > I believe he had an update about a month ago.

    Three in February.
    One in July and one in August.

    Boomer, Sep 27, 2003
  6. berksposter

    Ionizer Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    > > Ionizer wrote:

    > [snip]
    > >> Hey!
    > >>
    > >> Glad to know you're feeling more comfortable with Xnews and that
    > >> you've turned your back on OE for binaries. The current version
    > >> of Xnews is 5.04.25 and I don't think he's updated it in quite a
    > >> long time, now- maybe over a year even.

    > [snip]
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Ian.

    > > I believe he had an update about a month ago.

    > Three in February.
    > One in July and one in August.

    Hi, Boomer:

    Are you referring to his "test version" when you say this? I installed
    Xnews on our W98 system well over a year ago and I just fired it up to have
    a look- it's 5.04.25, which his site still shows to be the "latest version."

    Thanks,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 27, 2003
  7. berksposter

    Greg M Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in

    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    >> Ionizer wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> Hey!
    >>>
    >>> Glad to know you're feeling more comfortable with Xnews and that
    >>> you've turned your back on OE for binaries. The current version
    >>> of Xnews is 5.04.25 and I don't think he's updated it in quite a
    >>> long time, now- maybe over a year even.

    > [snip]
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Ian.

    >> I believe he had an update about a month ago.

    > Three in February.
    > One in July and one in August.

    I'm using 05.08.12

    Greg M, Sep 27, 2003
  8. berksposter

    Boomer Guest

    Ionizer wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> Boomer wrote:
    >>
    >> > Ionizer wrote:

    >> [snip]

    >> [snip]

    >> > I believe he had an update about a month ago.

    >> Three in February.
    >> One in July and one in August.

    > Hi, Boomer:
    >
    > Are you referring to his "test version" when you say this? I
    > installed Xnews on our W98 system well over a year ago and I
    > just fired it up to have a look- it's 5.04.25, which his site
    > still shows to be the "latest version."
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ian.

    They are all beta, test versions in a sense. ;)
    He doesn't update his web site often.
    6.08.25 is the newest release even though he has it under "test".
    There have been -0- problems mentioned with the newest "test"
    release.

    Best place to read is at news.software.readers in case the OP is
    still reading this thread.

    Boomer, Sep 27, 2003