    and starting all over again.

    What is the best way to set it up please ?

    Town Crier

    Town Crier, Sep 28, 2006

  2. "Town Crier" <r.stevene7@hotmail grumbled surlily in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I now have the Xnews icon on my desktop but in the past it dissapeard, I
    > thought I had it in a zipped folder but I could not open it, or rather I
    > could not find Xnews. It is working at the moment but I am unable to
    > read instructions, as I could not find it in folder I had to keep
    > downloading it and starting all over again.
    >

    > What is the best way to set it up please ?
    >
    > Town Crier

    Open Xnews>Special>Setup Xnews>enter the necessary information (server,
    username, password, etc.)>download the group list>subscribe to groups you
    want>start reading.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Town Crier

    Town Crier Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:
    || "Town Crier" <r.stevene7@hotmail grumbled surlily in
    || 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    ||| I now have the Xnews icon on my desktop but in the past it
    ||| dissapeard, I thought I had it in a zipped folder but I could not
    ||| open it, or rather I could not find Xnews. It is working at the
    ||| moment but I am unable to read instructions, as I could not find it
    ||| in folder I had to keep downloading it and starting all over again.
    ||| What is the best way to set it up please ?
    ||| Town Crier
    || Open Xnews>Special>Setup Xnews>enter the necessary information
    || (server, username, password, etc.)>download the group list>subscribe
    || to groups you want>start reading.
    || --
    || The Old Sourdough
    || theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com
    || We need an energy bill that encourages consumption. - George W. Bush

    Thank you it seems very simple, do I open it from desktop icon ?

    Town Crier, Sep 28, 2006
  4. Town Crier

    sittingduck Guest

    "Town Crier" <r.stevene7@hotmail wrote:

    > I now have the Xnews icon on my desktop but in the past it dissapeard, I
    > thought I had it in a zipped folder but I could not open it, or rather I
    > could not find Xnews. It is working at the moment but I am unable to
    > read instructions, as I could not find it in folder I had to keep
    > downloading it and starting all over again.
    >

    > What is the best way to set it up please ?

    Unzip the files to a folder. Xnews needs no 'setup' it just runs from
    wherever it is. Place a shortcut to Xnews.exe wherever it is convenient for
    you.

    sittingduck, Sep 28, 2006
  5. "Town Crier" <r.stevene7@hotmail grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip>||
    >|| Open Xnews>Special>Setup Xnews>enter the necessary information
    >|| (server, username, password, etc.)>download the group list>subscribe
    >|| to groups you want>start reading.
    > Thank you it seems very simple, do I open it from desktop icon ?

    If your desktop icon is a shortcut pointing to the Xnews executable
    (Xnews.exe), yes. Otherwise, search for the executable, and double-click it.

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 28, 2006
  6. Town Crier

    thanatoid Guest

    "Town Crier" <r.stevene7@hotmail<wasser.co.uk> wrote in

    > I now have the Xnews icon on my desktop but in the past it
    > dissapeard, I thought I had it in a zipped folder but I
    > could not open it, or rather I could not find Xnews. It is
    > working at the moment but I am unable to read instructions,
    > as I could not find it in folder I had to keep downloading
    > it and starting all over again.
    >

    > What is the best way to set it up please ?
    >
    > Town Crier

    As the instructions say, there is no install program. Unzip the
    file to a subdirectory of your choice, probably "Xnews" (in
    Program Files or Internet or Utilities or however you have your
    machine set up). Then right click on the desktop and make a
    shortcut to xnews.exe in that subdirectory.

    I have no idea why the icon would disappear once properly set
    up.

    It is a fairly complicated but extremely customizable program.
    You need to go to the program directory and manually read some
    of the help and readme files, and possibly look on the web for
    more help (it IS there). If you want something not quite as
    flexible but really simple (and free as well), try GrabIt
    (http://www.shemes.com)

    thanatoid, Sep 28, 2006
  7. Town Crier

    richard Guest

    "Town Crier" <r.stevene7@hotmail<wasser.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I now have the Xnews icon on my desktop but in the past it dissapeard, I
    >thought I had it in a zipped folder but I could not open it, or rather I
    >could not find Xnews. It is working at the moment but I am unable to read
    >instructions, as I could not find it in folder I had to keep downloading it
    >and starting all over again.
    >

    > What is the best way to set it up please ?
    >
    > Town Crier

    You might want to give "40tude dialog" a shot.
    A much more comprehensive newsreader with a lot more features.
    And it is free.

    richard, Sep 28, 2006
  8. richard wrote:

    > You might want to give "40tude dialog" a shot.

    You might yourself. <lol>

    http://40tude.com/dialog/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 29, 2006
  9. Town Crier

    thanatoid Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in

    > "Town Crier" <r.stevene7@hotmail<wasser.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:VyPSg.46387$...
    >>I now have the Xnews icon on my desktop but in the past it
    >>dissapeard, I thought I had it in a zipped folder but I
    >>could not open it, or rather I could not find Xnews. It is
    >>working at the moment but I am unable to read instructions,
    >>as I could not find it in folder I had to keep downloading
    >>it and starting all over again.
    >>

    >> What is the best way to set it up please ?
    >>
    >> Town Crier

    > You might want to give "40tude dialog" a shot.
    > A much more comprehensive newsreader with a lot more
    > features. And it is free.

    Is it called *4*0tude because it is a ridiculous 4MB dl???
    Xnews is less than 1MB and except for a spell checker and
    support for all the language sets in the world, I do not see
    ANYTHING in 40tude that seems superior. And the value of both
    those, needless to say, is HIGHLY questionable.

    Even GrabIt is 1.2 MB. And has 1/10 of the features Xnews has.

    thanatoid, Sep 29, 2006
  10. Town Crier

    Mark Guest

    All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    listened as r.stevene7@hotmail said...
    ||I now have the Xnews icon on my desktop but in the past it dissapeard, I
    ||thought I had it in a zipped folder but I could not open it, or rather I
    ||could not find Xnews. It is working at the moment but I am unable to read
    ||instructions, as I could not find it in folder I had to keep downloading it
    ||and starting all over again.
    ||What is the best way to set it up please ?
    ||Town Crier

    If you are in the market for a different news reader, you might want to
    check out "Gravity". Do a google search for gravity newsreader as I
    don't have a link to it currently.

    Good luck!
    Mark

    --
    Kindly remove your pants to reply.

    Mark, Sep 29, 2006
  11. Mark wrote:

    > If you are in the market for a different news reader, you might want
    > to check out "Gravity". Do a google search for gravity newsreader as
    > I don't have a link to it currently.

    http://gravity.tbates.org/ for v. SuperGravity 2.6
    and
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/ for open source v. 2.7

    It's a good reader (2.6) but for one thing. If you set up multiple news
    servers, you have to switch between them, instead of seeing all
    subscribed groups at once. Not a big deal.

    I've not used this 2.7 version...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 29, 2006
  12. Town Crier

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:23:47 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> You might want to give "40tude dialog" a shot.

    > You might yourself. <lol>
    >
    >> A much more comprehensive newsreader with a lot more features.
    >> And it is free.

    > http://40tude.com/dialog/

    Really? Well what do you know?

    richard, Sep 29, 2006
  13. richard wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:23:47 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> You might want to give "40tude dialog" a shot.

    >> You might yourself. <lol>
    >>
    >>> A much more comprehensive newsreader with a lot more features.
    >>> And it is free.

    >> http://40tude.com/dialog/

    > Really? Well what do you know?

    I know that you used Outhouse Distress to send the post to which I
    replied.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 29, 2006