    Will Voipcheap work over Fusion ?

    We are in Napier for the cold months .

    grumpy

    grumpy old hori, Jun 17, 2010

  2. grumpy old hori

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-06-17, grumpy old hori <> wrote:
    > At the moment we are still with telecom for phone and Xnet for
    > internet.
    > So some advice please gentlemen, the best phone line supply and
    > internet package (15GB) would be ?
    >
    > How good is xnets fusion ? what hardware would you recomment including
    > replacing the DSL ADSL router if need be ? one normal phone and one
    > cordless is what we are using.
    >
    > Will Voipcheap work over Fusion ?

    VOIP needs to get its packets moving without delay to work like the POT
    system.

    So anyone in Napier using VOIP with Xnet? If so how do you find the
    conversation?

    Gordon, Jun 17, 2010

  3. grumpy old hori

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <82900954-a90c-427a-8554-f646d845c363
    @b15g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > At the moment we are still with telecom for phone and Xnet for
    > internet.
    > So some advice please gentlemen, the best phone line supply and
    > internet package (15GB) would be ?
    >
    > How good is xnets fusion ? what hardware would you recomment including
    > replacing the DSL ADSL router if need be ? one normal phone and one
    > cordless is what we are using.
    >
    > Will Voipcheap work over Fusion ?
    >
    > We are in Napier for the cold months .
    >
    > grumpy

    Hi Grumps

    I am on Fusion and really can't fault it. Been with xnet for about 2 and
    half years and have had no problems at all. I think all the bundled free
    services that you get are value for money if you compare the prices with
    Telecom. They charge for them all as extras and xnet dont. Thats a plus.
    I was on the Torrent plan but changed as we were not dowloading huge
    amounts of data so opted out and got the cheaper per gig rate.

    At times the network has been up and down over that time but nothing
    major and usually only for an hour or two at most. Once it was down most
    of the day and they credited my account with 7 dollars I think for it.
    That was the only realissue I've had.

    Help desk are good too and usually answer after a few rings usually
    within a minute. Can't say same for some other hell desks LOL.

    I like them and wont go back to the old telecom landline ever. Naked
    broadband has worked for me and I like the fact I am no longer paying
    that huge monoply Telecom a cent any more <bfg>. Supporting the small
    player also makes me feel good too as it provides competition to te big
    boys. Pricing is not as low as I'd imagined it would be when the
    unbundling happened but still is alot cheaper than most of the big
    players for comparable services.

    I got a Linksys PAP2T voip adaptor to hook up our home phones (two
    cordless ones ) for about 70 -80 dollars from PB Tech in Dunedin and was
    away without a hitch.

    I still use an old router I had before joining them so all you need
    really is the PAP2T box or similar and if you already have router use
    that. Easy peasy.

    The only caveat is if your broadband goes down you are without a phone
    but with cellphones so prevelant these days is not that big a deal and
    xnet are usually upfront about problems if you ring 'em and usually
    really helful if you do need the help desk.

    I'm in Mosgiel so dunno what service in your area is like but as you are
    not doubt aware I'm ( more than ) happy with it.

    Good luck if you do go the Fusion way.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Jun 18, 2010
  4. In message <-september.org>, bAZZ
    wrote:

    > I got a Linksys PAP2T voip adaptor to hook up our home phones (two
    > cordless ones ) for about 70 -80 dollars from PB Tech in Dunedin and was
    > away without a hitch.

    Is that locked to a specific provider?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 18, 2010
  5. grumpy old hori

    Richard Guest

    grumpy old hori wrote:
    > At the moment we are still with telecom for phone and Xnet for
    > internet.
    > So some advice please gentlemen, the best phone line supply and
    > internet package (15GB) would be ?
    >
    > How good is xnets fusion ? what hardware would you recomment including
    > replacing the DSL ADSL router if need be ? one normal phone and one
    > cordless is what we are using.
    >
    > Will Voipcheap work over Fusion ?
    >
    > We are in Napier for the cold months .
    >
    > grumpy

    voipcheap is pretty average on most NZ internet connections, not just xnet.

    If you join xnet you get a local voip service on fusion, but they do the
    configuration of the unit and only support some linksys ones. Problem is
    that the linksys ones dont support 2 voip providers onto one port, but
    xnet will let you configure the second port for someone else, so long as
    they also dont use a configuration URL (I have never used an ATA
    directly on voipcheap)

    Richard, Jun 18, 2010
  6. In message <hvennq$97i$>, Richard wrote:

    > ... but they do the configuration of the unit and only support some
    > linksys ones.

    Can’t they just assign you a SIP username and password and let you set up
    whatever equipment you want at your end?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 18, 2010
  7. grumpy old hori

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hvennq$97i$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> ... but they do the configuration of the unit and only support some
    >> linksys ones.

    > Can’t they just assign you a SIP username and password and let you set up
    > whatever equipment you want at your end?

    They call that their asterisk plan, and they dont officially supply
    support for it. Otherwise its a provisioned config only on supported
    linksys gear.

    Richard, Jun 18, 2010
  8. grumpy old hori

    victor Guest

    On 17/06/10 16:23, grumpy old hori wrote:
    > At the moment we are still with telecom for phone and Xnet for
    > internet.
    > So some advice please gentlemen, the best phone line supply and
    > internet package (15GB) would be ?
    >
    > How good is xnets fusion ? what hardware would you recomment including
    > replacing the DSL ADSL router if need be ? one normal phone and one
    > cordless is what we are using.
    >
    > Will Voipcheap work over Fusion ?
    >
    > We are in Napier for the cold months .
    >
    > grumpy

    I use 2talk and a Grandstream ATA that gets sold by a couple of sellers
    on trademe, it isn't locked to any provider.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-297537763.htm

    victor, Jun 18, 2010
  9. In message <hvf754$tb$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Can’t they just assign you a SIP username and password and let you set up
    >> whatever equipment you want at your end?

    > They call that their asterisk plan ...

    Bingo. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 18, 2010
  10. grumpy old hori

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <hveme3$2pt$>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...

    > In message <-september.org>, bAZZ
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I got a Linksys PAP2T voip adaptor to hook up our home phones (two
    > > cordless ones ) for about 70 -80 dollars from PB Tech in Dunedin and was
    > > away without a hitch.

    > Is that locked to a specific provider?

    Nope it's just an adaptor that they offer support for but I imagine it
    would work well with any voip service provider. All I had to do was ring
    them with the MAC number and was good to go.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Jun 18, 2010