Xnet speeds

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PaulW, Aug 2, 2007.

  1. PaulW

    PaulW Guest

    PaulW, Aug 2, 2007

  2. PaulW

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    PaulW wrote:
    > Any one having problems with xnet's speed Got a customer that has a
    > 7meg connection to exchange But is only getting 500kb to 700kb on
    > speed tests to www.nzdsl.co.nz , www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ and
    > www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml Dont know if its a bandwidth
    > problem to his exchange or a isp/telecom to isp problem Would like to
    > hear what other users are getting
    > Cheers Paul

    Telecom problem, AFAIK also affecting some (all?) Ihug customers and some
    (all?) TelstraClear customers.

    Nik Coughlin, Aug 2, 2007

  3. PaulW

    EMB Guest

    PaulW wrote:
    > Any one having problems with xnet's speed Got a customer that has a
    > 7meg connection to exchange But is only getting 500kb to 700kb on
    > speed tests to www.nzdsl.co.nz , www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ and
    > www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml Dont know if its a bandwidth
    > problem to his exchange or a isp/telecom to isp problem Would like to
    > hear what other users are getting
    > Cheers Paul

    Getting my usual 3800kb/s on a ~5000 connection. I'd suggest overloaded
    backhaul from the DSLAM is your client's problem.

    EMB, Aug 2, 2007
  4. PaulW

    samorra Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:46b1ca0d$...
    > PaulW wrote:
    >> Any one having problems with xnet's speed Got a customer that has a
    >> 7meg connection to exchange But is only getting 500kb to 700kb on
    >> speed tests to www.nzdsl.co.nz , www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ and
    >> www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml Dont know if its a bandwidth
    >> problem to his exchange or a isp/telecom to isp problem Would like to
    >> hear what other users are getting Cheers Paul

    I have been getting atrocious speed on the Xnet Flood plan for about 2 weeks
    and yet other people on my exchange do not report a problem.
    I rang Xnet and sent them speed test and trace route data which they sent to
    Telecom for analysis. They then tell me that Telecom have advised that they
    can see nothing wrong with their equipment and suggest I try another working
    modem which I did. There was no improvement.
    I managed to download a torrent last night. It reached 200kbs yet when I
    tried to seed my upload stopped dead.
    I cannot use Mirc since it crawls along at 10kbs as compared to about 300kbs
    previously.
    Speedtest.net: http://www.speedtest.net/ gives me a ping reading of 500ms.

    samorra, Aug 2, 2007
  5. PaulW

    EMB Guest

    samorra wrote:

    > Speedtest.net: http://www.speedtest.net/ gives me a ping reading of 500ms.

    That's a US site so the best ping you'll get is going to be >250ms. I'm
    getting consistent pings in the 305ms range.

    A traceroute or a pathping is a more useful diagnostic tool.

    EMB, Aug 2, 2007
  6. On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:47:00 +1200, EMB <> wrote in

    > samorra wrote:
    >
    >> Speedtest.net: http://www.speedtest.net/ gives me a ping reading of 500ms.

    > That's a US site so the best ping you'll get is going to be >250ms. I'm
    > getting consistent pings in the 305ms range.
    >
    > A traceroute or a pathping is a more useful diagnostic tool.

    For comparison, with speedtest.net I get 1924dn 127up 280ping. I am in
    Wellington, on XNet. 2Mb/128Kb connecion.
    On the NZDSL speed test I get 2003dn 123up.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
    Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

    .... No one is listening to you - until you fart.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 2, 2007
  7. PaulW

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > samorra wrote:
    >
    >> Speedtest.net: http://www.speedtest.net/ gives me a ping reading of
    >> 500ms.

    > That's a US site so the best ping you'll get is going to be >250ms. I'm
    > getting consistent pings in the 305ms range.

    Actually you can select which mirror you want to use. There is one in
    Auckland and one in Napier.

    Nik Coughlin, Aug 2, 2007
  8. On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:33:05 +1200, PaulW wrote:

    > Any one having problems with xnet's speed Got a customer that has a
    > 7meg connection to exchange But is only getting 500kb to 700kb on
    > speed tests to www.nzdsl.co.nz , www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ and
    > www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml Dont know if its a bandwidth
    > problem to his exchange or a isp/telecom to isp problem Would like to
    > hear what other users are getting
    > Cheers Paul

    I have XNET at home, I am on a 2 Mbit plan. I commonly try to use the
    internet between 8:00PM and midnight (inconveniently right after XNET
    helpdesk shuts down for the night). For well over a month now I have been
    unable to get even 1 Mbit of download and a simple ping to an XNET server
    (let alone anything on the wider internet) can take as much as 2 seconds,
    more commonly around 800 ms.

    I have been forced to play the "Do the ISP's work for them" game, and test
    and monitor my connection for them over a 24 hour period. These tests
    clearly show that the issue is simply one of congestion.

    As appears usual for ISPs under these circumstances they just tell you that
    it is a Telecom issue and there is nothing they can do. It was even
    suggested to me that I should go and canvas my neigbourhood, convincing
    anyone who has a poor connection (regardless of their ISP) to complain to
    their provider. The theory being that if enough people complained about a
    single exchange then Telecom might actually do something about the problem
    quicker. This is totally unsatisfactory.

    Under normal circumstances I would happily recommend XNET as an ISP, but
    now I would have to qualify that by saying that this is the case only if
    you are lucky enough to be connected to an uncongested exchange.
    Unfortunately now from my viewpoint they have demonstrated their impotence,
    inability or unwillingness to sort out a problem for a customer, instead
    simply fobbing them off with the same old NZ ISP Get Out Of Jail Free Card:
    "It's Telecoms Fault". While I have had some sympathy for this viewpoint,
    at the end of the day I pay my monthly bill to XNET not Telecom.

    If you've read this far, then thanks for the opportunity to vent some
    frustration.

    Cheers,
    John

    John A Ferguson, Aug 2, 2007
  9. PaulW

    Allistar Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > PaulW wrote:
    >> Any one having problems with xnet's speed Got a customer that has a
    >> 7meg connection to exchange But is only getting 500kb to 700kb on
    >> speed tests to www.nzdsl.co.nz , www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ and
    >> www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml Dont know if its a bandwidth
    >> problem to his exchange or a isp/telecom to isp problem Would like to
    >> hear what other users are getting
    >> Cheers Paul

    > Telecom problem, AFAIK also affecting some (all?) Ihug customers and some
    > (all?) TelstraClear customers.

    Not this TelstraClear customer. I regularly get > 6Mb/s down and > 700kb/s
    up. I suppose it depends where you live.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 2, 2007
  10. PaulW

    samorra Guest

    Since this morning I no longer have a problem. My speeds have returned to a
    normal level indeed they appear
    to be faster than they have ever been before. However, I suppose there is no
    guarantee that this will continue
    indefinitely. I still have no idea what caused the problem or how it was
    resolved.
    When collecting the speed test and trace route data that Xnet requests in
    these cases is it advisable to use a utility
    such as WinMTR ?

    "John A Ferguson" <j.ferguson@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:33:05 +1200, PaulW wrote:
    >
    >> Any one having problems with xnet's speed Got a customer that has a
    >> 7meg connection to exchange But is only getting 500kb to 700kb on
    >> speed tests to www.nzdsl.co.nz , www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ and
    >> www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml Dont know if its a bandwidth
    >> problem to his exchange or a isp/telecom to isp problem Would like to
    >> hear what other users are getting
    >> Cheers Paul

    > I have XNET at home, I am on a 2 Mbit plan. I commonly try to use the
    > internet between 8:00PM and midnight (inconveniently right after XNET
    > helpdesk shuts down for the night). For well over a month now I have been
    > unable to get even 1 Mbit of download and a simple ping to an XNET server
    > (let alone anything on the wider internet) can take as much as 2 seconds,
    > more commonly around 800 ms.
    >
    > I have been forced to play the "Do the ISP's work for them" game, and test
    > and monitor my connection for them over a 24 hour period. These tests
    > clearly show that the issue is simply one of congestion.
    >
    > As appears usual for ISPs under these circumstances they just tell you
    > that
    > it is a Telecom issue and there is nothing they can do. It was even
    > suggested to me that I should go and canvas my neigbourhood, convincing
    > anyone who has a poor connection (regardless of their ISP) to complain to
    > their provider. The theory being that if enough people complained about a
    > single exchange then Telecom might actually do something about the problem
    > quicker. This is totally unsatisfactory.
    >
    > Under normal circumstances I would happily recommend XNET as an ISP, but
    > now I would have to qualify that by saying that this is the case only if
    > you are lucky enough to be connected to an uncongested exchange.
    > Unfortunately now from my viewpoint they have demonstrated their
    > impotence,
    > inability or unwillingness to sort out a problem for a customer, instead
    > simply fobbing them off with the same old NZ ISP Get Out Of Jail Free
    > Card:
    > "It's Telecoms Fault". While I have had some sympathy for this viewpoint,
    > at the end of the day I pay my monthly bill to XNET not Telecom.
    >
    > If you've read this far, then thanks for the opportunity to vent some
    > frustration.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > John

    Have you considered changing your isp back to Xtra assuming you were
    connected to them previously ?

    samorra, Aug 3, 2007
  11. PaulW

    samorra Guest

    samorra, Aug 3, 2007
  12. PaulW

    blanking Guest

    > On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:33:05 +1200, PaulW wrote:
    >
    >> Any one having problems with xnet's speed Got a customer that has a
    >> 7meg connection to exchange But is only getting 500kb to 700kb on
    >> speed tests to www.nzdsl.co.nz , www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ and
    >> www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml Dont know if its a bandwidth
    >> problem to his exchange or a isp/telecom to isp problem Would like to
    >> hear what other users are getting
    >> Cheers Paul

    > I have XNET at home, I am on a 2 Mbit plan. I commonly try to use the
    > internet between 8:00PM and midnight (inconveniently right after XNET
    > helpdesk shuts down for the night). For well over a month now I have been
    > unable to get even 1 Mbit of download and a simple ping to an XNET server
    > (let alone anything on the wider internet) can take as much as 2 seconds,
    > more commonly around 800 ms.
    >
    > I have been forced to play the "Do the ISP's work for them" game, and test
    > and monitor my connection for them over a 24 hour period. These tests
    > clearly show that the issue is simply one of congestion.
    >
    > As appears usual for ISPs under these circumstances they just tell you
    > that
    > it is a Telecom issue and there is nothing they can do. It was even
    > suggested to me that I should go and canvas my neigbourhood, convincing
    > anyone who has a poor connection (regardless of their ISP) to complain to
    > their provider. The theory being that if enough people complained about a
    > single exchange then Telecom might actually do something about the problem
    > quicker. This is totally unsatisfactory.
    >
    > Under normal circumstances I would happily recommend XNET as an ISP, but
    > now I would have to qualify that by saying that this is the case only if
    > you are lucky enough to be connected to an uncongested exchange.
    > Unfortunately now from my viewpoint they have demonstrated their
    > impotence,
    > inability or unwillingness to sort out a problem for a customer, instead
    > simply fobbing them off with the same old NZ ISP Get Out Of Jail Free
    > Card:
    > "It's Telecoms Fault". While I have had some sympathy for this viewpoint,
    > at the end of the day I pay my monthly bill to XNET not Telecom.
    >
    > If you've read this far, then thanks for the opportunity to vent some
    > frustration.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > John

    I have had the same issue with them for a few months now, the issue started
    when there was talk of them taking on a lot of new customers, I still
    suspect the problem is with xnet and not telecom, all isp's always blame
    telecom but I strongly suspect the issue is a congestion problem with xnet,
    it sure as hell looks like it but of course they will not acknowledge it. I
    live in a very small town so doubt overloading of the local exchange is a
    problem. I am glad someone else has finally bought this up because when I
    was trying to get something done about it I was all on my own and it was
    easy for people just to dismiss it because I was the only one.

    blanking, Aug 3, 2007
  13. PaulW

    Richard Guest

    PaulW wrote:
    > Any one having problems with xnet's speed Got a customer that has a
    > 7meg connection to exchange But is only getting 500kb to 700kb on
    > speed tests to www.nzdsl.co.nz , www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ and
    > www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml Dont know if its a bandwidth
    > problem to his exchange or a isp/telecom to isp problem Would like to
    > hear what other users are getting
    > Cheers Paul

    I cant wait for LLU so that ISPs cant pass all the blame to telecom,

    Richard, Aug 4, 2007