    in practice are other isp's any better?
    Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the exchange.
    My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.

    blanking, Nov 29, 2007

  2. blanking

    Tony Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    > nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    > getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    > xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory but
    > in practice are other isp's any better?
    > Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the exchange.
    > My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.

    Test using http://speedtest.wxnz.net/ I know there have be some issues
    lately related to speed regulation at xnet, can't say more but lets just
    say lots of resource has been injected into the issue. They have LOTS of
    upstream online, and my speed has been fine.

    Tony, Nov 29, 2007

  3. blanking

    Tony Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    > nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    > getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    > xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory but
    > in practice are other isp's any better?
    > Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the exchange.
    > My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.

    2meg is not really something to complain about.

    Tony, Nov 29, 2007
  4. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > blanking wrote:
    >> I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    >> nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    >> getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    >> xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory
    >> but
    >> in practice are other isp's any better?
    >> Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the
    >> exchange.
    >> My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.
    >>

    > Test using http://speedtest.wxnz.net/ I know there have be some issues
    > lately related to speed regulation at xnet, can't say more but lets just
    > say lots of resource has been injected into the issue. They have LOTS of
    > upstream online, and my speed has been fine.

    I got 1970kbps on the xnet test page. I hope you are right about them doing
    something about it but I am skeptical as i have had this issue for a long
    time and they have said things like you say here before but nothing changes,
    just seems like another score for the helpdesk brickwall team.

    blanking, Nov 29, 2007
  5. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > blanking wrote:
    >> I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    >> nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    >> getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    >> xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory
    >> but
    >> in practice are other isp's any better?
    >> Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the
    >> exchange.
    >> My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.
    >>

    > 2meg is not really something to complain about.

    Well that is one of the things i was wanting to find out, remember though
    that this speed goes way down at nighttime etc...

    blanking, Nov 29, 2007
  6. blanking

    EMB Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    > nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    > getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    > xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory but
    > in practice are other isp's any better?
    > Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the exchange.
    > My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.

    4500kb/s on xnet, on a line speed of ~5000kb/s (~3km from exchange)

    EMB, Nov 29, 2007
  7. blanking

    EMB Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Test using http://speedtest.wxnz.net/ I know there have be some issues
    > lately related to speed regulation at xnet, can't say more but lets just
    > say lots of resource has been injected into the issue. They have LOTS of
    > upstream online, and my speed has been fine.

    And that resource has worked well - the new routers they have installed
    have resolved the packet loss issues that were apparent.

    EMB, Nov 29, 2007
  8. blanking

    EMB Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > blanking wrote:
    >> I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    >> nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    >> getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    >> xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory
    >> but
    >> in practice are other isp's any better?
    >> Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the
    >> exchange.
    >> My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.
    >>

    > 2meg is not really something to complain about.

    And may well be a sign of a lack of backhaul from that particular
    exchange. The OP's best check of performance would be another ADSL user
    on the same exchange but with a different ISP.

    EMB, Nov 29, 2007
  9. blanking

    Bobs Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    > nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    > getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    > xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory but
    > in practice are other isp's any better?
    > Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the exchange.
    > My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.

    I got a tad over 4000 on orcon connected at 5.7mbit to the exchange.

    Bobs, Nov 29, 2007
  10. blanking

    Tony Guest

    > And that resource has worked well - the new routers they have installed
    > have resolved the packet loss issues that were apparent.

    They have moved from smaller Cisco's to a very large Junpier router to
    terminate DSL's. In fact, the most powerful unit if it's class in the
    country.

    Tony, Nov 29, 2007
  11. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Tony wrote:
    >>
    >> Test using http://speedtest.wxnz.net/ I know there have be some issues
    >> lately related to speed regulation at xnet, can't say more but lets just
    >> say lots of resource has been injected into the issue. They have LOTS of
    >> upstream online, and my speed has been fine.

    > And that resource has worked well - the new routers they have installed
    > have resolved the packet loss issues that were apparent.

    About time to, they have never acknowledged the problem to me, always tried
    to pass the buck or just plain stonewall me on the matter and yes I was
    patient, courteous etc.. with them, which they only took advantage of so I
    did get morte assertive with them, but to no avail.
    Anyhow low and behold finally the speed was good last night, consistently
    over 3000kbps, finally youtube was useable, finally I got the experience I
    have been paying for all these months, when the hell is the commerce
    commission going to crack down on isp's, it's a bloody joke, it's like the
    wildwest.
    The bad news is that right now the speed has dropped to around 250kbps, has
    been like that for at least the last 40 minutes, hope they are just playing
    around with the upgrade and this is not a problem I have to ring them about,
    I don't want to go through the usual bullshit of them blaming everything but
    themselves.

    blanking, Nov 29, 2007
  12. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Test using http://speedtest.wxnz.net/ I know there have be some issues
    >>> lately related to speed regulation at xnet, can't say more but lets just
    >>> say lots of resource has been injected into the issue. They have LOTS of
    >>> upstream online, and my speed has been fine.

    >> And that resource has worked well - the new routers they have installed
    >> have resolved the packet loss issues that were apparent.

    > About time to, they have never acknowledged the problem to me, always
    > tried to pass the buck or just plain stonewall me on the matter and yes I
    > was patient, courteous etc.. with them, which they only took advantage of
    > so I did get morte assertive with them, but to no avail.
    > Anyhow low and behold finally the speed was good last night, consistently
    > over 3000kbps, finally youtube was useable, finally I got the experience I
    > have been paying for all these months, when the hell is the commerce
    > commission going to crack down on isp's, it's a bloody joke, it's like the
    > wildwest.
    > The bad news is that right now the speed has dropped to around 250kbps,
    > has been like that for at least the last 40 minutes, hope they are just
    > playing around with the upgrade and this is not a problem I have to ring
    > them about, I don't want to go through the usual bullshit of them blaming
    > everything but themselves.

    Good news is the speed is back up again and it is reading 4135kbps, so am
    finally getting what can reasonably be expected when paying for fullspeed
    broadband, now all I need is a refund for all the months I was not getting
    what I was paying for, has nobody tried to use the consumers guarantees act
    on these guys for failing services fit for the purpose.

    blanking, Nov 29, 2007
  13. blanking

    Tony Guest

    > Good news is the speed is back up again and it is reading 4135kbps, so am
    > finally getting what can reasonably be expected when paying for fullspeed
    > broadband, now all I need is a refund for all the months I was not getting
    > what I was paying for, has nobody tried to use the consumers guarantees act
    > on these guys for failing services fit for the purpose.

    I think your expectations are a little unrealistic, you are not paying
    for 100% commitment on the bandwidth. FYI, 4Mb/s wholesale bandwidth
    fully committed (not including last mile delivery) would cost you about
    $3000/month.

    Tony, Nov 30, 2007
  14. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >> Good news is the speed is back up again and it is reading 4135kbps, so am
    >> finally getting what can reasonably be expected when paying for fullspeed
    >> broadband, now all I need is a refund for all the months I was not
    >> getting what I was paying for, has nobody tried to use the consumers
    >> guarantees act on these guys for failing services fit for the purpose.

    > I think your expectations are a little unrealistic, you are not paying for
    > 100% commitment on the bandwidth. FYI, 4Mb/s wholesale bandwidth fully
    > committed (not including last mile delivery) would cost you about
    > $3000/month.

    You sound like the boss of xnet talking like that.

    blanking, Dec 2, 2007
  15. blanking

    Bobs Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >>> And that resource has worked well - the new routers they have installed
    >>> have resolved the packet loss issues that were apparent.

    >> About time to, they have never acknowledged the problem to me, always
    >> tried to pass the buck or just plain stonewall me on the matter and yes I
    >> was patient, courteous etc.. with them, which they only took advantage of
    >> so I did get morte assertive with them, but to no avail.
    >> Anyhow low and behold finally the speed was good last night, consistently
    >> over 3000kbps, finally youtube was useable, finally I got the experience I
    >> have been paying for all these months, when the hell is the commerce
    >> commission going to crack down on isp's, it's a bloody joke, it's like the
    >> wildwest.
    >> The bad news is that right now the speed has dropped to around 250kbps,
    >> has been like that for at least the last 40 minutes, hope they are just
    >> playing around with the upgrade and this is not a problem I have to ring
    >> them about, I don't want to go through the usual bullshit of them blaming
    >> everything but themselves.

    > Good news is the speed is back up again and it is reading 4135kbps, so am
    > finally getting what can reasonably be expected when paying for fullspeed
    > broadband, now all I need is a refund for all the months I was not getting
    > what I was paying for, has nobody tried to use the consumers guarantees act
    > on these guys for failing services fit for the purpose.

    Refund?? Get over it. Seriously.

    Bobs, Dec 2, 2007
  16. blanking

    EMB Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > You sound like the boss of xnet talking like that.

    No, he just sounds like somebody who understands the infrastructure
    behind ADSL.

    EMB, Dec 2, 2007
  17. blanking

    geoff Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > "Tony" <> wrote in
    > message news:newscache$si3csj$ak5$...
    >>
    >>> Good news is the speed is back up again and it is reading 4135kbps,
    >>> so am finally getting what can reasonably be expected when paying
    >>> for fullspeed broadband, now all I need is a refund for all the
    >>> months I was not getting what I was paying for, has nobody tried to
    >>> use the consumers guarantees act on these guys for failing services
    >>> fit for the purpose.

    >> I think your expectations are a little unrealistic, you are not
    >> paying for 100% commitment on the bandwidth. FYI, 4Mb/s wholesale
    >> bandwidth fully committed (not including last mile delivery) would
    >> cost you about $3000/month.
    >>

    > You sound like the boss of xnet talking like that.

    Naa. Just somebody who undertands the service level agreement that is part
    of your contract with Xnet.And somebody in touch with reality.

    geoff

    geoff, Dec 3, 2007
  18. blanking

    Alan Guest

    Hi Tony,

    Not to contradict you, but we have a fibre connection in Newmarket and
    we pay about $750 per month for a dedicated 5 megabits per second
    symmetrical connection from Telecom (not Xtra) with something like
    25GB of data per month (we never hit our data cap so not an issue, but
    we could go to 100GB for another $150 I think - don't quote me on
    that).

    Speed tests to NZ sites usually deliver at around 4.75 or better (does
    depend on what else we are doing at the time of course).

    I believe we can also upgrade to 10 each way - no idea what that would
    cost.

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Dec 3, 2007
  19. blanking

    EMB Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi Tony,
    >
    > Not to contradict you, but we have a fibre connection in Newmarket and
    > we pay about $750 per month for a dedicated 5 megabits per second
    > symmetrical connection from Telecom (not Xtra) with something like
    > 25GB of data per month (we never hit our data cap so not an issue, but
    > we could go to 100GB for another $150 I think - don't quote me on
    > that).

    About $40/GB for additional data when I enquired about the same. That
    was too much for my liking. Through another provider I have a 5Mb/s
    full-duplex connection in Newmarket with unlimited national traffic and
    10GB of international traffic for around $400/month.

    EMB, Dec 3, 2007
  20. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Alan exclaimed:
    > Not to contradict you, but we have a fibre connection in Newmarket and
    > we pay about $750 per month for a dedicated 5 megabits per second
    > symmetrical connection from Telecom (not Xtra) with something like

    5 mbps of dedicated international bandwidth as well?

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Dec 3, 2007