    evening.
    Are there any NZ ISPs left that provide a decent usenet service?
    , Mar 7, 2009

  2. Your Name Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > It appears that the XNet usenet server has been offline since Thursday
    > evening.
    > Are there any NZ ISPs left that provide a decent usenet service?

    Decent? Probably not. Many ISP don't really understand that the "S" stands
    for "Service" - as long as they give you a connection to the Internet, other
    things like email servers, newsservers, etc. are "bonus extras".

    ihug / Vodafone does still have a newsserver (and it's even been getting a
    couple of new newsgroups recently), but their "service" is often
    astonishingly bad and the newsserver has a bad habit of falling over. They
    don't have really binaries newsgroups though.
    Your Name, Mar 7, 2009

  3. Your Name Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > Orcon was originally owned by Seeby Woodhouse - a one-time contributor
    > here. While ownership has changed and Seeby no longer lurks here
    > (well not under this name) it seems to me that Orcon retain their
    > commitment to providing a reliable nntp server.

    Orcon also "sub-lease" to some other minor ISPs and companies who offer
    Internet access (eg. the Infogen electricity company for their customers).

    Orcon is the most likely candidate for me to move to when I ditch hopeless
    ihug / Vodafone. Orcon is about where ihug were a few years ago - they're
    still fairly small and don't seem to have reached the greedy "screwing the
    customer" mentality of "big business" like ihug / Vodafone and Telescum NZ
    .... yet!
    Your Name, Mar 7, 2009