    Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
    problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the
    street connection what do people think could be the cause of the problem?

    blanking, May 19, 2007

  2. blanking

    peterwn Guest

    On May 19, 3:43 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    > Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
    > problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the

    Have another think. When I hear that sort of statement, alarm bells
    start to ring. I tried to help a woman get broadband going. I
    unplugged all phones, still no go. I asked her if there were any
    other jacks in the house - she assured me there were not. At that
    time I had to go elsewhere, so I suggested she get help. She
    forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
    Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then
    (I had brought a few spare filters along just in case).

    peterwn, May 19, 2007

  3. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On May 19, 3:43 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >> Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
    >> problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the

    > Have another think. When I hear that sort of statement, alarm bells
    > start to ring. I tried to help a woman get broadband going. I
    > unplugged all phones, still no go. I asked her if there were any
    > other jacks in the house - she assured me there were not. At that
    > time I had to go elsewhere, so I suggested she get help. She
    > forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
    > Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then
    > (I had brought a few spare filters along just in case).

    You will just have to trust me on this one, some people do know what they
    are talking about you know but it will take a hell of a lot of wasted time
    and effort to prove my logical deductions so best you trust me on this one
    because you know your statement also rings alarm bells with me so best we
    just ignore them and move to the next step.

    blanking, May 19, 2007
  4. blanking

    Peter Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > For over 2 months now I have been getting very slow response times when I
    > request data from a website

    Is the slow response the same whether you use a URL (like www.google.com) or
    a IP address (like 64.233.183.147)?

    Peter, May 19, 2007
  5. blanking

    Miguel Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 16:39:23 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > blanking wrote:
    >> I have been getting very slow response times when
    >> I request data from a website

    Doesn't that sound like you're going through a proxy. Especially if, once
    the connection is up, you're speed is fine. Just a thought.

    Miguel

    Miguel, May 19, 2007
  6. blanking

    jdm Guest

    Similar here in New Windsor ( Auckland ) about 3 - 5 sec delay from click.
    Mine is a full telecom install with Lynksys router
    Has been like this for some time, Xnet helpdesk near impossible to get hold
    of or any decent answers.
    Left a message at approximately 10.30 am after being on old for 22 mins. I
    did not get a call back.
    Last time I had a problem it was fixed after the last telecom outage.

    Cheers
    John

    jdm, May 20, 2007
  7. blanking

    ~misfit~ Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > > On May 19, 3:43 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    > > > Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have)
    > > > that the problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out
    > > > to as far as the

    > > Have another think. When I hear that sort of statement, alarm bells
    > > start to ring. I tried to help a woman get broadband going. I
    > > unplugged all phones, still no go. I asked her if there were any
    > > other jacks in the house - she assured me there were not. At that
    > > time I had to go elsewhere, so I suggested she get help. She
    > > forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
    > > Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and
    > > then (I had brought a few spare filters along just in case).
    > >

    > You will just have to trust me on this one, some people do know what
    > they are talking about you know but it will take a hell of a lot of
    > wasted time and effort to prove my logical deductions so best you
    > trust me on this one because you know your statement also rings alarm
    > bells with me so best we just ignore them and move to the next step.

    Shit, you really *are* as arrogant as an Aussie aren't you? I've read a few
    of your posts and /thought/ you were the sort of person I wouldn't want to
    know and probably a wife-beater (if you've caught one). This latest reply to
    someone who's trying to help you confirms it.

    Piss off goose-brain. Pay someone to fix your connection if you can't be
    half-decent to people who are trying to help you free. No wonder the
    'rephrased' thread part. the last one got a bit sour.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2007
  8. In message <>, peterwn
    wrote:

    > She [had]
    > forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
    > Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then

    Broadband would stop the phone from working, the phone wouldn't stop the
    broadband from working.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2007
  9. blanking

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:37:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, peterwn
    > wrote:
    >
    >> She [had]
    >> forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
    >> Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then

    > Broadband would stop the phone from working, the phone wouldn't stop the
    > broadband from working.

    Actually, you'd be wrong there, there is a phone in this house that if
    plugged in without a filter kills the DSL. either will not connect at all
    or connects at < 240kbps

    El Chippy, May 20, 2007
  10. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 16:39:23 +1200, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>> I have been getting very slow response times when
    >>> I request data from a website

    > Doesn't that sound like you're going through a proxy. Especially if, once
    > the connection is up, you're speed is fine. Just a thought.
    >
    > Miguel

    Thanks but i am not using a proxy.

    blanking, May 21, 2007
  11. blanking

    Matty F Guest

    On May 20, 7:37 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, peterwn
    > wrote:
    >
    > > She [had]
    > > forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
    > > Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then

    > Broadband would stop the phone from working, the phone wouldn't stop the
    > broadband from working.

    I have a phone in the bedroom without a filter, and broadband works
    fine unless the handset is picked up. If I pick it up it means that I
    am in bed and not using broadband, so I don't care. The line is a bit
    noisy for 20 seconds then the modem gives up and the phone is fine.
    Later I have to reboot the modem. I answer about one call per year on
    that phone so I can't be bothered wiring in a filter.

    Matty F, May 21, 2007
  12. blanking

    blanking Guest

    > Ok, I think I need to rephrase my call for help on the xnet broadband.
    > For over 2 months now I have been getting very slow response times when I
    > request data from a website, far slower than you would expect even with
    > 56k dialup but once data is been sent to me there is no problem it flows
    > at a good steady rate, the slowness is only on response from a website
    > once I have requested new data. Other people on this newsgroup have
    > indicated no problems such as mine with xnet and I am assuming they are
    > not xnet employees.
    > Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
    > problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the
    > street connection what do people think could be the cause of the problem?

    Surprise surprise, this problem has disappeared without any intervention by
    me, nothing has been changed with my computer software, hardware or
    phoneline, yet for 1 week now the problem I had for over 2 months has
    disappeared. While this is great in one sense it is very annoying that I had
    to wait this long and resort to trying to do xnet's job for them by trying
    to track down where the problem lied at their end when I did not have the
    knowledge to do so, it makes me very angry that they showed no interest in
    the problem despite me having plenty of evidence to show the problem did not
    lie at my end. While some people here on the newsgroup had a similar
    attitude to the isp(maybe a few isp helpdesk workers here I think) there
    were a couple that tried their best to help and I thank them for this. As
    for the problem disappearing after this thread had continued for some days,
    it seems a coincidence so maybe this discussion did affect my outcome.
    It's great to have broadband performance back finally, not so good that I
    did not get this for well over 2 months even though that is what I was
    paying for, the isp industry really needs a shake up, they fail to meet the
    requirements of the consumers guarantees act and fair trading act on a
    constant basis, i won't be holding my breath for this to change though.

    blanking, May 31, 2007
  13. blanking

    blanking Guest

    > "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >> Ok, I think I need to rephrase my call for help on the xnet broadband.
    >> For over 2 months now I have been getting very slow response times when I
    >> request data from a website, far slower than you would expect even with
    >> 56k dialup but once data is been sent to me there is no problem it flows
    >> at a good steady rate, the slowness is only on response from a website
    >> once I have requested new data. Other people on this newsgroup have
    >> indicated no problems such as mine with xnet and I am assuming they are
    >> not xnet employees.
    >> Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
    >> problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the
    >> street connection what do people think could be the cause of the problem?
    >>

    > Surprise surprise, this problem has disappeared without any intervention
    > by me, nothing has been changed with my computer software, hardware or
    > phoneline, yet for 1 week now the problem I had for over 2 months has
    > disappeared. While this is great in one sense it is very annoying that I
    > had to wait this long and resort to trying to do xnet's job for them by
    > trying to track down where the problem lied at their end when I did not
    > have the knowledge to do so, it makes me very angry that they showed no
    > interest in the problem despite me having plenty of evidence to show the
    > problem did not lie at my end. While some people here on the newsgroup had
    > a similar attitude to the isp(maybe a few isp helpdesk workers here I
    > think) there were a couple that tried their best to help and I thank them
    > for this. As for the problem disappearing after this thread had continued
    > for some days, it seems a coincidence so maybe this discussion did affect
    > my outcome.
    > It's great to have broadband performance back finally, not so good that I
    > did not get this for well over 2 months even though that is what I was
    > paying for, the isp industry really needs a shake up, they fail to meet
    > the requirements of the consumers guarantees act and fair trading act on a
    > constant basis, i won't be holding my breath for this to change though.

    Forgot to say that the results of the tests suggested to me have not changed
    since the problem I outlined has disappeared.

    blanking, May 31, 2007